• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Bears Signed David Fales Back

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bears to re-sign quarterback David Fales in light of Jay Cutler's shoulder injury

Well, I remember when we sat here during Week 3 last season. Cutler was diagnosed with a hamstring tear and was due to miss a contest in Seattle. Some of you were clambering for Fales to get a start over Clausen. A couple of you even went as far as to say he was the team's "future QB" and the "answer". :noidea:

I don't think it's a stretch to say that you all are likely less enthusiastic at the prospect of him playing at this point. After all, the Bears opted to not carry a 3rd string QB following Shaw's injury instead of keeping him on. Then, ultimately thought that Matt Barkley was a better option. Yeesh...

Regardless, I think the smart money says that Matt Barkley won't exactly be thrilling enough to warrant six consecutive starts to finish off the season. Hell... the smart money may even be on a Barkley injury behind this all of the sudden patchwork O-line.

What I am getting at, is that I think Fales gets a shot at some point here. Which, despite thinking he looked nothing like an NFL QB at any point in his lifetime. At least the unknown, and the prospect of a young QB making his NFL debut would be somewhat interesting. It would certainly peak my interest more than Matt Barkley trotting out there.

anotheridiot

There will always be someone to blame......
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
None of us can say how good or bad Fales might be, but he learned the system under Gase and was enough of a player for Trestman to want to take him along. I just think its a different situation knowing that this truly is an audition for some real playing time now, unlike no chance of unseating Jay, no matter what either of their records were. Fales was on the scrub team with most of these receivers too.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
None of us can say how good or bad Fales might be, but he learned the system under Gase and was enough of a player for Trestman to want to take him along. I just think its a different situation knowing that this truly is an audition for some real playing time now, unlike no chance of unseating Jay, no matter what either of their records were. Fales was on the scrub team with most of these receivers too.

Well, that's just simply untrue. There's plenty of film on Fales looking quite unfit to be an NFL QB, both of him in college and NFL pre-season. He has been around for 3 years, and has done nothing but bounce around practice squads. Our coaching staff chose Matt Barkley over him... All of these things say quite a bit actually, IMO.

I'll be as happy as anyone if he impresses. However, the odds that a gem of a QB is just sitting around on NFL practice squads as a 3rd or 4th option at QB? After a multitude of years of having NFL coaching staffs coaching him and evaluating him. A giant long shot.

Here's to hoping I'm stunned. :suds:

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like Fales because I think he competes and uses his brains. Does not fit the NFL mold of big mobile QBs but then some of the best QBs don't. Either way he will be more interesting to watch then MB. I think Richig is right about the fact he has been passed on so many times. The coaches get to see him a lot and would know more then us. But how many times has a backup or rookie come in and surprise even their own coaches and take over? Not often but when it happens it's a beautiful thing. Coaches guess what they might do in games but no one knows until they get in a game. No one thought much of Dak, or Brady or many others. Some guys are just gamers. Chances are small but we have nothing to lose by trying.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like Fales because I think he competes and uses his brains. Does not fit the NFL mold of big mobile QBs but then some of the best QBs don't. Either way he will be more interesting to watch then MB. I think Richig is right about the fact he has been passed on so many times. The coaches get to see him a lot and would know more then us. But how many times has a backup or rookie come in and surprise even their own coaches and take over? Not often but when it happens it's a beautiful thing. Coaches guess what they might do in games but no one knows until they get in a game. No one thought much of Dak, or Brady or many others. Some guys are just gamers. Chances are small but we have nothing to lose by trying.

Sorry to say, but Dak and Brady are a lot different. Those two guys were from major schools who flashed very high ceilings in college. They just never quite put together the resume of an early round pick. However, there were many analysts and scouts who thought both could become competent NFL starters. They both impressed immediately in camp. Brady was a question mark to even make the roster as a rookie, and wound up winning the backup job behind Bledsoe. Dak also performed great in pre-season pretty quickly.

Fales has struggled rather mightily in pre-season, and has yet to make his way off of the practice squad here outside of Cutler injuries. Then, he was outright cut this year, and failed to make the roster in Baltimore at any point.

Hey... I'm all for this 3rd year taxi-squad cast-off stunning the shit out of me. However, I'm not going to sit here and lie to myself that this is the same situation Dallas and NE were in when Brady/Dak were young backups. It's pretty damn different...

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All I'm saying is you never know until the games are real. Fales will have a shit Oline, no TE, no AJ and a run game missing its blocking. I think failing is all but a sure thing. Neither Dak or Brady had to overcome shit teams. My expectations are realistic for Fales. He will earn his name.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All I'm saying is you never know until the games are real. Fales will have a shit Oline, no TE, no AJ and a run game missing its blocking. I think failing is all but a sure thing. Neither Dak or Brady had to overcome shit teams. My expectations are realistic for Fales. He will earn his name.

Well... I'll give ya this. If he does get in and plays even above average with this excuse for an NFL team we're going to have out there. He will certainly intrigue me.

I think it's also possible that Fales getting his shot is timed directly with the return of Alshon. Barkley will get at least two starts, and more than likely three before Fox gives him the hook. IMO

There is always the possibility of an injury, with this horrific Oline. Which, btw, would make Cameron Meredith our backup QB. lol. Zach Miller was formerly our emergency QB, but he's gone as well. Meredith is a converted QB from Illinois State, just as Miller is from Nebraska.