• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Batman: Gotham by Gaslight (2018) (animated) (Batman vs. Jack the Ripper)

BusSport

Mountain Goat Racer
Hoopla Cash
$ 115,625,688.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Batman: Gotham by Gaslight:

BusSport

Mountain Goat Racer
Hoopla Cash
$ 115,625,688.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Has anyone seen batman: Gotham by gaslight yet??

Didn't read the graphic novel, as I stay away from alt universes... But from all I have seen the movie got good ratings... and is also rated R...

I read the graphic novel years ago, and I've already seen the new animated film. Watch it, it's good! :thumb:

Regarding the graphic novel, it's been so many years since I read it that I don't remember all the details, but I do remember that I wasn't a big fan. It's one of the first Elseworlds, but not one of the better ones. I like comics and the steampunk aesthetic/genre, but the original story was, IMO, fairly weak.

On the other hand, I quite like the new animated film. It departs significantly from the original graphic novel and is pretty much better in every way. The animated film makes a lot more use of recurring Batman supporting characters rather than using the one-shot characters that the original graphic novel did. Nobody cares about them since they only ever appeared in this comic and never came back again in any other comic, and the one-shot characters dampen a primary appeal of Elseworlds stories, which is to see characters we are familiar with reinterpreted in a new setting with new backstory.

Also, on that subject, it was super obvious in the original graphic novel who Jack the Ripper was because when you introduce a new character for no reason, yeah, he becomes a rather obvious suspect. In the animated film, it's not so obvious who Jack the Ripper is. I won't spoil the surprise for you. ;)

I don't think the R rating is at all justified for the animated film, though. It should have been rated PG-13. I'm guessing the ratings board wanted to up the rating out of an overabundance of caution since the film being animated would attract younger viewers. The violence is fairly tame, and while the film obviously features prostitutes since they are Jack the Ripper's victims, they're sort of glossed over and treated more as just dancers, and all the sex in the movie is implied rather than ever shown.

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I read the graphic novel years ago, and I've already seen the new animated film. Watch it, it's good! :thumb:

Regarding the graphic novel, it's been so many years since I read it that I don't remember all the details, but I do remember that I wasn't a big fan. It's one of the first Elseworlds, but not one of the better ones. I like comics and the steampunk aesthetic/genre, but the original story was, IMO, fairly weak.

On the other hand, I quite like the new animated film. It departs significantly from the original graphic novel and is pretty much better in every way. The animated film makes a lot more use of recurring Batman supporting characters rather than using the one-shot characters that the original graphic novel did. Nobody cares about them since they only ever appeared in this comic and never came back again in any other comic, and the one-shot characters dampen a primary appeal of Elseworlds stories, which is to see characters we are familiar with reinterpreted in a new setting with new backstory.

Also, on that subject, it was super obvious in the original graphic novel who Jack the Ripper was because when you introduce a new character for no reason, yeah, he becomes a rather obvious suspect. In the animated film, it's not so obvious who Jack the Ripper is. I won't spoil the surprise for you. ;)

I don't think the R rating is at all justified for the animated film, though. It should have been rated PG-13. I'm guessing the ratings board wanted to up the rating out of an overabundance of caution since the film being animated would attract younger viewers. The violence is fairly tame, and while the film obviously features prostitutes since they are Jack the Ripper's victims, they're sort of glossed over and treated more as just dancers, and all the sex in the movie is implied rather than ever shown.

Totally agree.

It's why I always found the Hush storyarc to be good, but overrated.

The twist they teased would've made it a far better story, even if it would've robbed us of another damn good Batman Animated Movie.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

OK... just finished it... overall i thought it was good... But had trouble accepting WHO jack was... the fight was hard to watch... Not to mention, that the reveal seemed to be irrelevant to the whole story before the reveal and may have even contradicted some...

If Gordon was Jack, then why did he have the dream of jack killing his wife as Jack, and why did it scare him so much??

What i did like about it was all the references... Loved how the 3 boys were Dick, Jason and Tim... Loved the comment about Dent having a jekyll and Hyde personality... But didn't understand the gleefulness of Dent's betrayal...

all in all, it was a good else world... but i will stick to my overall opinion that else worlds are stupid...LOL

Now i am watching the scooby doo batman movie...

BusSport

Mountain Goat Racer
Hoopla Cash
$ 115,625,688.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Gordon was Jack, then why did he have the dream of jack killing his wife as Jack, and why did it scare him so much??

Gordon is suffering from a split personality in that film, personalities so distinct that they even had different handedness (Jack is left-handed, Gordon is right-handed). At that time (note that Barbara's face was not yet burned in that scene), Gordon hadn't been fully overwhelmed by the Jack personality, so he did not know yet that he was Jack. His subconscious, however, was aware, hence the dream.

The film subverts our expectations by transferring the split personality, which we expect of Harvey Dent since he is Two-Face in most continuities, over from Harvey to afflict Gordon instead.

But didn't understand the gleefulness of Dent's betrayal...

Harvey was mad at Bruce because Selina dumped Harvey for Bruce.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gordon is suffering from a split personality in that film, personalities so distinct that they even had different handedness (Jack is left-handed, Gordon is right-handed). At that time (note that Barbara's face was not yet burned in that scene), Gordon hadn't been fully overwhelmed by the Jack personality, so he did not know yet that he was Jack. His subconscious, however, was aware, hence the dream.

The film subverts our expectations by transferring the split personality, which we expect of Harvey Dent since he is Two-Face in most continuities, over from Harvey to afflict Gordon instead.

Harvey was mad at Bruce because Selina dumped Harvey for Bruce.

i get that... but seemed more like they just wanted to shock the viewers more than making a story that made sense.... dont get me wrong, i liked it still.... but sometimes you go with the obvious to make sense...

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just saw this and I thought it was both really good and a missed opportunity.

I really liked most of the plot, subject matter and setting.

I didn't like the animation style and I actually think this would've been 10x better as a live action movie or even a TV show. There wasn't anything ambitious here that needed animation. Everything was dialed down. Batman was basically a normal Joe. Sex, Women and class were so important to the story and I feel like there actually needed to be sexy scenes. And actual horror scenes. As an animated movie, I found it a bit lacking in both areas. The beginning part with Ivy was almost cringe worthy. The artist draws their women a bit like children and the children were drawn like aliens. It broke me from an otherwise great movie.

The part where they shoot the blimp is also kind of stupid

I'd give it a B.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One of my big takeaways from this movie is that it felt like it was trying to dance between PG-13 and R and it would've been better if it just embraced the idea that it was an R movie.