• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

"Baseball is a dying sport"

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No way in hell do I watch a 3/4 hour game. Baseball has to find a way to speed up their games.

Average MLB game is shorter that average NFL game.

Okay, but IMO an NFL game has more excitement during the time of their games. Baseball could speed up their game with a few changes.

They can find a way to speed up the length of a baseball, without changing the quality of the game.

Geezer: Baseball games are too long, they have to shorten them.

Slinky: Average MLB game is shorter than average NFL game.

Geezer: OK, then MLB needs more action like NFL.

Geezer (sometime later): Baseball games are too long, they have to shorten them.

giphy.gif

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I read somewhere that the ratio of time the ball is in play during an MLB broadcast is actually higher than during an NFL broadcast.

NFL is more explosive, and I don't begrudge anyone for preferring it over baseball, but all the stuff about "games are too long," and "pace it too slow" is nonsense. You just prefer the game of football, and that's fine.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I read somewhere that the ratio of time the ball is in play during an MLB broadcast is actually higher than during an NFL broadcast.

NFL is more explosive, and I don't begrudge anyone for preferring it over baseball, but all the stuff about "games are too long," and "pace it too slow" is nonsense. You just prefer the game of football, and that's fine.

There is a lot more action in baseball than football. But the camera is a lot kinder to football as when they are in the huddle they pan out to cheerleaders, fans, obscure stats on the screen or show a highlight of another game. Baseball really doesn’t have that option besides doing replays but people wouldn’t like watching a NFL play of an off tackle 1 yard gain all the time.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is a lot more action in baseball than football. But the camera is a lot kinder to football as when they are in the huddle they pan out to cheerleaders, fans, obscure stats on the screen or show a highlight of another game. Baseball really doesn’t have that option besides doing replays but people wouldn’t like watching a NFL play of an off tackle 1 yard gain all the time.

That’s a good point, I think.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That’s a good point, I think.

Well ya, during a football game they cut away to a Jags/Jets game and it has you still interested. Your local baseball team cutting away to the Ray/Royals game falls under the category of changing the channel.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What about basketball?
My friends oldest daughter referred to all black people as "basketball players" for about a solid year. She was prolly five.

It was fucking hilarious. (For everyone but my friend and his wife.)

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NFL game length is determined by a clock. Unless there's overtime, it's always the same length. Time of game isn't even relevant to the conversation, as far as I can tell. I suppose it could be a touch longer if there's an injury or delay in reviewing a call, but that's maybe 5 minutes, tops for all of it.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyone that says baseball is dying or that baseball is boring, I just assume they're stupid and not worth my time.
It's not dying but it is a dinosaur sport that resists any change.

Just saw Lindor is coming back for the Tribe. Great....they cannot hit. Especially the guy playing his position. Should be a big help tonight.

Nope.....gotta go play in the minors for a week or so. Never seen an NFL player go on rehab in the CFL or a stud NBA player in the D or G League.

I'm sure Baseball Guy will say things like "but he needs to get his timing"........"he has to be sure he's healthy", etc.

Many pitchers in MLB are not much better than AAA level. He can't get his timing back in the show? If he's not 100% healthy guess is he isn't playing yet. Isn't easlier to get better on major league fields with major league trainers/equipment?

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
start by saying im not a baseball fan. But live its not bad. Its on tv that its tortue. granted i played semi's for ice hockey, and i can watch on tv, but tv sucks for hockey too, and its great live........just my 2 cents
If I have to watch, I would think for a true fan TV would be better. Easier to see the true battle between pitcher and hitter

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's a sport for intellectuals. Dumber people tend to gravitate toward a preference for contact sports because they identify with the violence.
Pro players are told to do the same things as they were in little league in nearly every situation.

Football has a gameplan for each game. Players need to memorize hundreds of plays for various situations.

But, yeah, baseball is the thinking man's game. I laugh every time I see that comment.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Average MLB game is shorter that average NFL game.
But more action in a football game. Unless you call a pitch the batter watched/missed to be action. Or the hitter waiting for the pitcher to throw the pitch he will watch or miss.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But more action in a football game. Unless you call a pitch the batter watched/missed to be action. Or the hitter waiting for the pitcher to throw the pitch he will watch or miss.

Then he should have complained about the perceived lack of action, not the length of the game.

Don't make me call you a dipshit.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's not dying but it is a dinosaur sport that resists any change.

Just saw Lindor is coming back for the Tribe. Great....they cannot hit. Especially the guy playing his position. Should be a big help tonight.

Nope.....gotta go play in the minors for a week or so. Never seen an NFL player go on rehab in the CFL or a stud NBA player in the D or G League.

I'm sure Baseball Guy will say things like "but he needs to get his timing"........"he has to be sure he's healthy", etc.

Many pitchers in MLB are not much better than AAA level. He can't get his timing back in the show? If he's not 100% healthy guess is he isn't playing yet. Isn't easlier to get better on major league fields with major league trainers/equipment?

If I have to watch, I would think for a true fan TV would be better. Easier to see the true battle between pitcher and hitter

Pro players are told to do the same things as they were in little league in nearly every situation.

Football has a gameplan for each game. Players need to memorize hundreds of plays for various situations.

But, yeah, baseball is the thinking man's game. I laugh every time I see that comment.

Don't make me call you a dipshit.

Ahh, I was too late.

Dipshit.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
so feel free to refute anything I said with logic, facts or reason.

I get the impression that I'd have to explain it over and over again and frankly, I've neither the time nor inclination for any of that.

Best of luck to you, big guy.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get the impression that I'd have to explain it over and over again and frankly, I've neither the time nor inclination for any of that.

Best of luck to you, big guy.
So no. Just as I thought. Not even a weak effort I could laugh at. Shame.

we could try one at a time......Baseball Guy will tell you Lindor must go to the minors even though even if he cannot hit he is better than what his team trots out instead of him. Or Baseball Guy might say he cannot play MLB unless they are sure he is healed because, you know, if he gets hurt in AAA that doesn't matter to the team.

Or perhaps you want to tell my my opinion is wrong and I really don't prefer watching baseball on TV to get a better feel for the pitcher/catcher vs. the batter confrontation?

Or maybe you think what we are told in little league does not hold in the pros? Or a gameplan for a baseball game is more intricate than baseball (that would be the most fun if you tried)?

I cannot imagine the irrational I am missing out on by you deflecting.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So no. Just as I thought. Not even a weak effort I could laugh at. Shame.

we could try one at a time......Baseball Guy will tell you Lindor must go to the minors even though even if he cannot hit he is better than what his team trots out instead of him. Or Baseball Guy might say he cannot play MLB unless they are sure he is healed because, you know, if he gets hurt in AAA that doesn't matter to the team.

Or perhaps you want to tell my my opinion is wrong and I really don't prefer watching baseball on TV to get a better feel for the pitcher/catcher vs. the batter confrontation?

Or maybe you think what we are told in little league does not hold in the pros? Or a gameplan for a baseball game is more intricate than baseball (that would be the most fun if you tried)?

I cannot imagine the irrational I am missing out on by you deflecting.

TL;DR