• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

"Baseball is a dying sport"

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nah, I can tell what is a dying sport but no one wants to discuss it...american football.

In the next 4 years you will start to see it play out where high school football will see a major dropoff. There is an affluent suburb here in the D/FW metroplex that has always been known for football. They didn't even field a middle school team this season because not enough parents were willing to let the kids play. In TEXAS!

It was about 10-12 years ago all of the CTE and safety stuff started up for the NFL. Current middle schoolers are the first generation growing up really discussing the dangers of the game. I see baseball picking up the slack, as you don't have to be >6'4" tall to really have a shot to play. Soccer is even more boring than baseball, but will pick up some kids going that way. Golf and Tennis are what they are. Volleyball is the sport I'd like to see more boys go into, I love playing that.

Lacrosse: you get to wear a helmet and pads and it's pretty physical but also has constant action, like soccer with lots of goals and faster pace. It's pretty awesome, and in CA it's booming. Picking up all the football refugees.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Montpelier must be a gated community.......

Only state capital without a McDonalds (although it's been a while since I saw that, maybe they do now)

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lacrosse: you get to wear a helmet and pads and it's pretty physical but also has constant action, like soccer with lots of goals and faster pace. It's pretty awesome, and in CA it's booming. Picking up all the football refugees.

It’s the whole west coast. Football participation continues to sink while lacrosse is becoming the suburb sport. Even though shit it is expensive, not as expensive as baseball but it’s more expensive than football, basketball or soccer.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I read somewhere that the ratio of time the ball is in play during an MLB broadcast is actually higher than during an NFL broadcast.

NFL is more explosive, and I don't begrudge anyone for preferring it over baseball, but all the stuff about "games are too long," and "pace it too slow" is nonsense. You just prefer the game of football, and that's fine.
I'm sure there is something to that last comment. Can also show a replay of an actual play with action between plays in football while most often in baseball the previous "play" was a ball or strike.

I think for most (and probably me) the pace comment is fair. In football, in roughly the same time, you have to choose from among hundreds of plays (or even say 20 if you like), might have to get a handful of guys off and on the field. baseball? More often than not it's what pitch(out of 3-5) do I throw and where (in, out, up or down)?