• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

B1G swings and misses with UMD and Butgers

linebackeru

Caught in a Mosh
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What the hell are these idiots thinking?? Can they PLEASE toss us or let us leave NOW?? Unlike Nebraska, which was a great addition for 12, these 2 teams offer nothing. We already deliver both markets, they have no tradition, no fanbase and will just dilute the money pool. The 2 Virginia schools make so much more sense. Man, I really HATE this conference.

AlistairChiss

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Money rules all. For football sure they don't bring much beyond mid-tier competition levels, but perhaps they bring stuff in terms of academics and other sports?

Assuming we left or were forced out where would we go? The ACC personally doesn't excite me in any way, shape, or form. I do not miss the old rivalries that we had that allowed us to pad our schedule to prop us up to be better than we were at the time. They are sub-B1G competition when it comes to football. They are a basketball powerhouse but our programs would likely end up being bottom-dwellers with their basketball competition levels. The only conference that would interest me would be the SEC and I doubt they'd even want us.

linebackeru

Caught in a Mosh
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Money rules all. For football sure they don't bring much beyond mid-tier competition levels, but perhaps they bring stuff in terms of academics and other sports?

Assuming we left or were forced out where would we go? The ACC personally doesn't excite me in any way, shape, or form. I do not miss the old rivalries that we had that allowed us to pad our schedule to prop us up to be better than we were at the time. They are sub-B1G competition when it comes to football. They are a basketball powerhouse but our programs would likely end up being bottom-dwellers with their basketball competition levels. The only conference that would interest me would be the SEC and I doubt they'd even want us.

Academics, there are better options in the Virginia schools or GT, as far as leaving for ACC, if you get PSU and ND full time along with FSU, Miami, Clemson, VT, I'd have no problems in that conference.

As far as other sports, Maryland has been slashing sports from their budget to stay afloat, Rutgers is good at nothing I know of. Both have glorified HS stadiums, both have small fanbases.

AlistairChiss

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ND won't join anyone for football for as long as they can avoid it. They'll work a conference over to make sure that they can play maybe 4-6 games and take their automatic bid if they are ranked in the BCS. That is just how life is. FSU is just waiting for the opportunity to jump to the SEC, perhaps they continue to wait at the alter, perhaps not.

Miami? Clemson? VT? Yeah they have their years once in a while but seriously? I'll take Ohio State, Michigan, Wisconsin, and Nebraska any day of the week over those guys.

Perhaps other schools better fit for bringing competition, but supposedly we only go for schools in adjacent states. This expansion makes Virginia finally adjacent and I'm not convinced that we will stick at 14 schools. If we want to stay ahead of everybody and have decent expansion to get to 16 we need to act soon. I think we should now try to snag in VA OR VT (since both make no sense financially), Syracuse, and/or UConn (though it isn't contiguous, imagine the basketball).

linebackeru

Caught in a Mosh
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ND won't join anyone for football for as long as they can avoid it. They'll work a conference over to make sure that they can play maybe 4-6 games and take their automatic bid if they are ranked in the BCS. That is just how life is. FSU is just waiting for the opportunity to jump to the SEC, perhaps they continue to wait at the alter, perhaps not.

Miami? Clemson? VT? Yeah they have their years once in a while but seriously? I'll take Ohio State, Michigan, Wisconsin, and Nebraska any day of the week over those guys.

Perhaps other schools better fit for bringing competition, but supposedly we only go for schools in adjacent states. This expansion makes Virginia finally adjacent and I'm not convinced that we will stick at 14 schools. If we want to stay ahead of everybody and have decent expansion to get to 16 we need to act soon. I think we should now try to snag in VA OR VT (since both make no sense financially), Syracuse, and/or UConn (though it isn't contiguous, imagine the basketball).

FSU wouldn't go anywhere with PSU and ND on board. ND will be forced to join full time somewhere, this is the end game of the Big 10 striking the first blow to teh ACC. Others will now swoop in and dismantle the football conference. Big 12 and SEC will take the football programs that are worth anything and leave the BIg East 2.0 there. Once that happens and there are 4 16 team super conferences, ND will be forced to become a member of 1 or their schedule will be pathetic and will kill them for the playoff system. Pac10, BI 10, Big 12 and SEC will be the 4 participants in the playoff once this happens, everyone else will be playing for 5th place at best. Syarcuse and UCONN dilute the football money even more and that's what matters in expansion. You also need to consider the academic level of these schools. The profile for Big 10 and CIC membership are big research driven schools. VT or Uva would be great, have also heard UNC, ga tech, even a Florida school......they aren't stopping at 14 that's for certain. Everyone will be at 16 soon enough.

The connecting states thing is a myth as well. They have talked to Georgia Tech previously and there's no state close to ajoining them in the Big 10.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm underwhelmed. I thought Virginia Tech would have been a better choice, and of course Notre Dame (who would never go along with it, I know).

ForkEmBucky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Money may rule all, but they won't make much if tradition gets watered down and people lose interest. I want 10 conference games ASAP.