• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Awesome Story

jgHokie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@Jg Isnt it possible that he is paying out of pocket or has a pell grant for CC, or if you are eligible for the GI bill do you have to use it?

You don't have to use the gi bill all at once..or all at one school. They break it up by semester hours. and it doesn't pay 100% of tuition at ANY school. basically..you get around 45k to get a degree...anything over that..comes out of pocket, or from a grant, etc.
And i was just making it clear..lol. i don't want to seem like some jackball that's just trying to naysay..lol

HokieGhost

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
the post 9/11 gi bill didn't even come into law until 2008 and it didn't go into effect until august of 2009. so like i said...IF he chose the post 9/11 gi bill....and also like i said..he's used part of it already going to the community college his is in now. again..i'm not trying to argue, but when it's a topic i know about...i'm going to speak up.

I'm not arguing at all, just stating facts as quickly as I can find them.

Here's two more facts:

The Post-9/11 GI Bill provides financial support for education and housing to individuals with at least 90 days of aggregate service after September 10, 2001, or individuals discharged with a service-connected disability after 30 days. You must have received an honorable discharge to be eligible for the Post-9/11 GI Bill.

As I tried to say earlier, but not very well, Rodriguez meets both requirements.

I initially learned about the GI Bill when I got my honorable discharge in 1981. It's changed more than a few times since then.

hunzworth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Damn i figured it would be more than 45k. Anyone know the rules for football players getting non athletic schollies or grants?

jgHokie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i understand how the post 9/11 gi bill works. what i'm saying is that he may not have the post 9/11 gi bill. there are 2 types of gi bills now...the standard gi bill (which is what he was enrolled in when he joined, as was everyone else that joined before 2009.) and the post 9/11 gi bill. if he did not switch his enrollment to the post 9/11 gi bill..then he still has the standard gi bill. there are different benefits to each one (ie eligible schools, etc.)..which is why they give you the option of switching or not. and 81 huh? lol...i was almost born :) yes...it's changed alot..as do most military policies...it seems like as soon as you get a grasp of the way things are..they change it.

jgHokie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Damn i figured it would be more than 45k.

ya..most people do..that's why i brought it up when someone said that he prob didn't care about a scholly.. don't get me wrong..the gi bill is a FANTASTIC thing and it really does help, and you CAN get a degree with it...depending on what school you choose.

VTscores

Observer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
That story certainly plays well. Good report, and makes VT look good.

MattB4VT

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
student-athletes are allowed to get merit-based, non-athletic scholarships, so I would assume that something regarding service in the military would not be an issue. you just only hear about it in non-revenue sports, because football and basketball are either full or none.

NickVT10

annnnnnnd its gone
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Dan Rather special said he won't cost a school a scholarship because his GI bill will cover it. Not sure if that was stated. Any updates on him and if he is being looked at for the 2013 class???

Lumbee09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Dan Rather special said he won't cost a school a scholarship because his GI bill will cover it. Not sure if that was stated. Any updates on him and if he is being looked at for the 2013 class???

Last I've heard he's still working on getting accepted into VT

hunzworth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Last I've heard he's still working on getting accepted into VT

Could be wrong but i dont think there are any issues, last i heard he was all set to enroll for summer semester if he chooses VT.

TagAndBrag

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Maybe I'm thinking outside the box here, and I'm also no compliance officer, but aren't there modest payouts for being featured in TV specials?

Also, there's a good chance a service member who lived humbly could have saved some money, especially one who deployed twice before the recent Obama cuts to hostile fire pay. We may have already seen evidence of this... He paid out of pocket for the video, didn't he?

It's nice to have college money for vets, but there's no illusions that it covers everything. The military paid for my Bachelor's degree (I'm Active Duty), but I'm having to pay roughly half to attend grad school at VT-NCR. His case is different than mine, but my point is that he has had all applicable information in his possession for some time. The military has an office on every base specifically for help with education and financial aid questions.

NickVT10

annnnnnnd its gone
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe I'm thinking outside the box here, and I'm also no compliance officer, but aren't there modest payouts for being featured in TV specials?

He did not use his status to promote or endorse anything. He wasn't paid for football. He was not a student at VT when it was done. It would be like me being paid to do a commercial when I was in high school for Doritos. Should not change his eligibility. Thats my understanding

TagAndBrag

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Mine as well. The last thing I meant to suggest was that he did anything wrong... I was only acknowledging that I'm a non-subject matter expert on the NCAA side.