• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Austin Collie on a 1yr "prove it" deal.

Rollingthndr

FantasyFootball Pessimist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Per Rotoworld...

Free agent Austin Collie is willing to sign a liability waiver protecting the NFL team that signs him in the event of another injury.

Collie has suffered multiple concussions and a ruptured patellar tendon since entering the league. Although he recently received full medical clearance, NFL teams are wary of Collie due to the league's "conspicuous" concussion initiatives. "He’s not an untouchable," said one personnel director. "But with all the attention (concussions) have gotten the past few years, and all the litigation and stuff, it would be hard (to sign him)."

Source: National Football Post

I am sure the Lions could get him on a league minimum and no guaranteed money. Burly showed zero separation skills in 2011 and missed all of 2012. Broyles news is good but no guarantee he will be ready. Fuller is raw and unproven. Maybe Edwards could shine but Collie has already proven he can separate from DB's on an NFL level. AS long as he is willing to sign the waiver, why not?

What do you guys think?

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Assuming he is medically cleared and legality is handled, I don't see how he doesn't get a shot. I'd try him out in New England in a heart beat, and I'm surprised no one's tried to work with him yet. Maybe they really are scared of what happens if he takes one more bad hit.

themuzzer

Hoopla Cash
$ 400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Per Rotoworld...

Free agent Austin Collie is willing to sign a liability waiver protecting the NFL team that signs him in the event of another injury.

Collie has suffered multiple concussions and a ruptured patellar tendon since entering the league. Although he recently received full medical clearance, NFL teams are wary of Collie due to the league's "conspicuous" concussion initiatives. "He’s not an untouchable," said one personnel director. "But with all the attention (concussions) have gotten the past few years, and all the litigation and stuff, it would be hard (to sign him)."

Source: National Football Post

I am sure the Lions could get him on a league minimum and no guaranteed money. Burly showed zero separation skills in 2011 and missed all of 2012. Broyles news is good but no guarantee he will be ready. Fuller is raw and unproven. Maybe Edwards could shine but Collie has already proven he can separate from DB's on an NFL level. AS long as he is willing to sign the waiver, why not?

What do you guys think?

My personal view is it's a no brainer at league minimum and liability clause.

Microwahevo

Green St. Elite
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,481.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Burly showed zero separation skills in 2011
If by "no separation" you mean catching 73 balls for almost 800 yards, then yes, I agree. Burleson did well in 2011, not a #1 by any menas, but he helped us get to the playoffs.

and missed all of 2012
I sometimes honestly wonder if you ever check stats before posting. He played in 6 games last year and while he wasn't on pace with his '11 stats, he still helped where he could.

Now on to Collie, I wouldn't mind an incentive laced contract. I was privvy to being able to watch a lot of Indy games b/c of where I'm located, and the one thing he excelled at was route running. But being in Manning's offense, it was almost necessary or you were off the team. So I wouldn't mind a flyer on him, barring someone else important doesn't get cut. IMO, I wouldn't want to release Burleson to gain Collie. Nate knows our offense and playbook, and he seems to know his role here.

Dr. Evil-er

Mayhew for President 2016
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He has played enough years in the league to collect pension benefits. He's a smart, well liked, well spoken kid who could still make a very nice living in the broadcast booth, scouting, asst. coach, etc, something where he is still involved in football. There is no reason for him to risk permanent damage by continuing to play. When you have to tell teams that you will sign a liability waiver that means its over and time to move on. I'll pass on Collie simply because I don't think he should be playing anymore.

Dr. Evil-er

Mayhew for President 2016
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nate knows our offense and playbook, and he seems to know his role here.

Yes, his role is the 4 yard reverse. :laugh3:

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He has played enough years in the league to collect pension benefits. He's a smart, well liked, well spoken kid who could still make a very nice living in the broadcast booth, scouting, asst. coach, etc, something where he is still involved in football. There is no reason for him to risk permanent damage by continuing to play. When you have to tell teams that you will sign a liability waiver that means its over and time to move on. I'll pass on Collie simply because I don't think he should be playing anymore.

He has been fully cleared to play. He loves football and wants to keep playing. I see nothing wrong with that and he should get a chance somewhere.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Not to change the subject from Austin Collie, but how come Jahvid Best doesn't have this luxury? IS BECAUSE HE'S BLACK AND COLLIE IS WHITE!!??! Haha j/k but seriously why doesn't Best have this luxury?

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Two things:

First, he is under contract, so I'm not sure how easy it would be to add that kind of thing in.

Second, has he been medically cleared to play?

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Two things:

First, he is under contract, so I'm not sure how easy it would be to add that kind of thing in.

Second, has he been medically cleared to play?

Good point about the contract. Last time it was a hot topic, it sounded like Best had been cleared of all concussion symptoms/issues etc..and the Lions were "frustrated" not being able to get Best out on the field. In short, sounded like the NFL was being the roadblock. But I don't really know. The Lions act just the Pats now when it comes to personal. Nobody really says anything, everything is secretive.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have no idea about his case, honestly. I would live a healthy best on my team. The dude's fucking fast.

I would guess that there have been some problems with getting him cleared by a neurologist or something, but I'm really not sure.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mentioned Collie on another thread, and my take is that we should sign him for camp and then cut him (unless he really shines) when we have to go down to 53 guys.

That way we're not counting on the oft-injured WR to fill an important role for us, but if one of our guys gets injured he can be the "next man up" because he'd already know the offense. If he gets hurt again after that at least he was only an injury fill-in to begin with.

Perhaps a little unorthodox, but I feel like it's a good way to take advantage of his talents without having to rely on him to stay healthy...

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If by "no separation" you mean catching 73 balls for almost 800 yards, then yes, I agree. Burleson did well in 2011, not a #1 by any menas, but he helped us get to the playoffs.

I sometimes honestly wonder if you ever check stats before posting. He played in 6 games last year and while he wasn't on pace with his '11 stats, he still helped where he could.

:agree:

themuzzer

Hoopla Cash
$ 400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just don't want to give up on Jahvid.

Last edited by a moderator:

Principal57

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have no idea about his case, honestly. I would live a healthy best on my team.

I would guess that there have been some problems with getting him cleared by a neurologist or something, but I'm really not sure.

I think they need to do baseline evaluations on all players as soon as they enter the league in order to have something to compare to when a player does have a concussion. I mean, what if Best could not answer the questions that he needs to answer in order to be cleared simply because he cannot answer the questions. Maybe he could not answer the questions prior to his 1st concussion in college. I think they ask you things that any average person knows like, "What was the last name of the President in 2003?"

LeaderOCola

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
he should have sued the shit out of Manning to begin with.

hung him out to get killshotted on at least 2-3 of those concussions.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Without Manning, Collie never would have caught a TD pass in the NFL. Like Blair White, Brandon Stokely and a bunch of other whiteasses. I have no interest in him signing with the Lions.

themuzzer

Hoopla Cash
$ 400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
UGGGH!

Last edited by a moderator:

themuzzer

Hoopla Cash
$ 400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
WTF? That's not what I posted, That came out like crap.

Rollingthndr

FantasyFootball Pessimist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He might of helped us get to the playoffs (which I thank him for his service) and will be a small upgrade on Durham but I watched a NO game where dude had to push off three times to get open and got caught all three times pushing off. Actually everyone in America saw it on national tv (except you). Pretty sure it was a saturday night game.

Mr Mayhew saw it as well when he drafted Burlys replacement not once, but twice.