• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

ASU Football Offseason Thread

WhoDatDevil

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Big recruiting class coming in really excited to get better.

Some take always from this year,

We needed more size on the defensive side of the ball.
WR is still a concern.
Taylor Kelly needs to take another step forward.
Need more depth at RB.
Need more explosion off the D line.
Need better pass protection on the O line.
Special teams was a disaster.

"I'm going to make it a personal responsibility (special teams)" To me that means someone is getting canned..

I'm excited for next year not because we're going to have a better team (because I don't think we will). But I think we're going to have a more Todd Graham like team. Too many times this year the team looked like an Erickson team. And I think that's because we still had a lot of Erickson players. The 3rd year is where it gets fun and we REALLY see what the future holds. Everything listed above I believe has been invested in. I don't think it'll all be fixed next year. But I think we'll make strides to be a more complete team. The only thing we'll lack is expierence. Really excited for Foster, Randall, and Strong. Those kids are studs. 8 wins is my early prediction with a chance for some upside. Fork 'em!

FORKWDEVIL

shut up and make me a sandwich
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

WR is still a concern.
Need more depth at RB.

"I'm going to make it a personal responsibility (special teams)" To me that means someone is getting canned..

I'm excited for next year not because we're going to have a better team (because I don't think we will). But I think we're going to have a more Todd Graham like team. Too many times this year the team looked like an Erickson team. And I think that's because we still had a lot of Erickson players. The 3rd year is where it gets fun and we REALLY see what the future holds. Everything listed above I believe has been invested in. I don't think it'll all be fixed next year. But I think we'll make strides to be a more complete team. The only thing we'll lack is expierence. Really excited for Foster, Randall, and Strong. Those kids are studs. 8 wins is my early prediction with a chance for some upside. Fork 'em!

NOT good news! This is not what I need to hear at this point. I expect us to get better and better each year. Why did we hire CTG again? to be an 8 win team? Fuck that.

FORKWDEVIL

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

WR is still a concern.
Need more depth at RB.

and are we going to hand UOFA a win in Tucson 2014? fuck that too. Can't you tell I am a little pissed not to expect mediocrity?

JahiiCarson_SqodGeneral

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
and are we going to hand UOFA a win in Tucson 2014? fuck that too. Can't you tell I am a little pissed not to expect mediocrity?

10-4 is not mediocrity it is when we lose to Texas Tech though. I just want to get to next year. I hope Graham is maintaining this recruiting class that lost was embarrassing. National Signing day cant come soon enough.............

FORKWDEVIL

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Quote from CTG proves my point:
“(We have) a lot of things going on,” Graham said. “A great recruiting class we’re putting together. (Our seniors) set a legacy of 10 wins and Pac-12 South champions, so anything less than 10 wins is a disappointment.”

asu_08

HIGH OCTANE
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NOT good news! This is not what I need to hear at this point. I expect us to get better and better each year. Why did we hire CTG again? to be an 8 win team? Fuck that.

Looking at who we lose next year 10 wins and up seems like a stretch right now. It's not Graham's fault, Erickson started to check out on the recruiting front his last couple years and next year is where it will show, especially on the d-line and in the secondary.

Offensively I think we get better but defense could be a struggle. They'll be talented and some of the size issues will be taken care of but very little experience.

7 regular season wins is the absolute bare minimum, 8 should be expected and 9+ would be a nice surprise. Graham can't have a disappointing season like Koetter and Erickson did after they experienced success. Build on this recruiting momentum next year and that 10 win mark should be a very realistic goal from 2015 and on.

WhoDatDevil

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Quote from CTG proves my point:
“(We have) a lot of things going on,” Graham said. “A great recruiting class we’re putting together. (Our seniors) set a legacy of 10 wins and Pac-12 South champions, so anything less than 10 wins is a disappointment.”

I cringed at that statement. I love how ambitious Graham is and how he's not scared to express his desire for success. But he needs to realize that our fan base is easily influenced. I don't think Phoenix fans in general are tolerant of anything besides a Rose Bowl or National Championship year in year out. Obviously I want those things too, but I understand that we're not in a position to make a run every year yet.. Stanford's turnaround was nothing short of a miracle and it took them 4 seasons to be in the position they're in now. We had a real shot in year two (2) to be in a Rose Bowl. That's impressive.

Now, should we have lost to TT like that? Hell no. It would have been one of the biggest wins this program has had in a long time. And the way the players weren't prepared is inexcusable. We shouldn't be a Rose Bowl or bust team.. We're not good enough to go through the motions and beat a team like TT yet. I think the staff learned a valuable lesson though (remember, most of them are very young). I also think Kelly learned a valuable lesson too. It's embarrassing and if it continues then I'll be upset. But Graham has done so much good for this program he gets a pass from me. Sometimes a step back is required to make true progress.

As for recruiting, I'm not too worried about saving face. We have a great class, great players want to play with other great players. We return all of our coaches and we offer playing time on a 10 win team. If they de-commit because of a loss in a bowl game, they don't see the vision of this program and it's better that they leave now. The pitch now is, "you can be the difference, you can get us to that Rose Bowl, you can get us to that National Championship, you can win the Heisman Trophy, you can get all the exposure you need, you can be a first round draft pick."

WhoDatDevil

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I want to put something into perspective quickly using the secondary.

Secondary:

Darby 5-11 195 lbs
Randall 6-0 185 lbs *Graham recruited
Nelson 5-11 173 lbs *Graham recruited
Irabor 5-11 186 lbs

Top Reserves and Top Rated Recruits at DB

Carrington 5-11 188 lbs (RSoph)
Ball 6-3 205 lbs (Freshman)
Johnson 6-2 200 lbs (Freshman)
Moaek 6-0 201 lbs (RFreshman)
Means 6-1 170 lbs (Soph)
Scott 6-3 190 lbs (HS)
Tauta 6-0 180 lbs (HS)

Others are smaller but IMO I don't think they'll compete immediately. See the difference. Next year is going to be fun to watch all of these talented BIG newcomers develop. I won't be putting too much pressure on them, really just looking for them to get better every game.

WhoDatDevil

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dline:

Sutton 6-1 305 lbs
Coleman 6-2 283 lbs
Conway 6-4 280 lbs
Hood 6-0 301 lbs *Graham recruited

Top reserves and top rated recruits:

Hardison 6-5 290 lbs
Cherry 6-6 275 lbs
Smith 6-7 260 lbs
Smallwood 6-1 280 lbs
Humphreys 6-4 275 lbs
Wren 6-6 239 lbs
Boateng 6-4 270 lbs

We're going to look like an SEC defense out there.

FORKWDEVIL

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks for your thoughts gentlemen and thanks for calming my nerves. I just wished our team didn't spend so much time at Sea World.

asu_08

HIGH OCTANE
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2014 Schedule Released

2014 ASU Football Schedule

Aug. 28 Weber State (Thursday)

Sept. 6 at New Mexico

Sept. 13 at Colorado

Sept. 20 Bye

Sept. 25 UCLA (Thursday)

Oct. 4 at USC

Oct. 11 Bye

Oct. 18 Stanford

Oct. 25 at Washington

Nov. 1 Utah (Homecoming)

Nov. 8 Notre Dame

Nov. 15 at Oregon State

Nov. 22 Washington State (Senior Day)

Nov. 28 at Arizona (Friday)

It looks like the Pac 12 threw us a bone after an unfavorable schedule last season. It really sets up nicely.

WhoDatDevil

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2014 ASU Football Schedule

Aug. 28 Weber State (Thursday)

Sept. 6 at New Mexico

Sept. 13 at Colorado

Sept. 20 Bye

Sept. 25 UCLA (Thursday)

Oct. 4 at USC

Oct. 11 Bye

Oct. 18 Stanford

Oct. 25 at Washington

Nov. 1 Utah (Homecoming)

Nov. 8 Notre Dame

Nov. 15 at Oregon State

Nov. 22 Washington State (Senior Day)

Nov. 28 at Arizona (Friday)

It looks like the Pac 12 threw us a bone after an unfavorable schedule last season. It really sets up nicely.

For a young team it can't get much better (unless we missed Stanford). Jump out of the gate 3-0, while gaining our road legs.. Prepare for UCLA/USC.. And let's see what happens.

Because of the expectations/success.. And our 3-0 record.. That UCLA game is going to be huge.

Last edited by a moderator:

WhoDatDevil

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cant wait to kick Notre Dames ass on the 8th.

Nix and Tuitt are gone which will leave big holes in their D-line but Golsen should be back at QB and they'll be top-25 next year.. Tough game, we'll learn a lot after UCLA and USC.

asu_08

HIGH OCTANE
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Around 8 tonight they are going to post the details of the stadium renovation on the ASU website.

asu_08

HIGH OCTANE
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bd_TGvtCQAA-MeW.png

Early rendering of the new renovation design. The north end zone seats are being taken down this summer and I think the screen and concourse area are being put in too. Everything else will happen starting in 2015 with the team still being able to play in the stadium.

WhoDatDevil

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bd_TGvtCQAA-MeW.png

Early rendering of the new renovation design. The north end zone seats are being taken down this summer and I think the screen and concourse area are being put in too. Everything else will happen starting in 2015 with the team still being able to play in the stadium.

Looks great. Excited to see the lighting under the upper deck. I'm interested to see how they're going to make that look animated. Concourse makes a lot of sense.. It'll be one of the first things you see off the 202. The big screen will be seen by everyone tailgating. A very marketable stadium for ASU.. It look like they're putting a lot of the money into the club seating (which makes the most money).. Hopefully some will be left over for the general concourse.

WhoDatDevil

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Predicting the Defensive Depth Chart for the 2014 Season:

Defensive Line:
DT Dalvon Stucky
NG Jaxon Hood
DE Marcus Hardison

Linebackers:
Devil; Darrius Caldwell
Spur; Antonio Longino
Will; DJ Calhoun
Sam; Salamo Fiso

Secondary:
Boundary Corner; Lloyd Carrington
Field Corner; Damarious Randall
Bandit; Marcus Ball
Saftey; James Johnson

This is just a prediction. I've never followed a team with this much depth before so really it's a crap shoot. Graham is a big believer in rotating, so expect the 2nd strings to see a lot of playing time as well. Players I think can make an impact coming in off the sideline:

Cherry
M Latu
Mendoza
Moeakiola
D. Scott
K. Brown
C Adams

Last edited by a moderator: