• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: Astros @ M’s - July 22-24

AceKeptic

Free Agent from Elsewhere
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't get me wrong, I'm not upset by a loss. It was not having the battle we expected with the late scratch. I wouldn't have had an issue with a loss if we had the full squad and came up short.
It would have helped if we actually TRIED to bring 'em in instead of seeing how many we could leave on base.

The streak may be done, but hopefully they remember just what the hell they did so they don't become laughingstocks again.

Mariners_44

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Come on, pure bullshit. Scott is doing the right thing covering for his start phenom……..Julio hurt it in the HR Derby. Scott’s full of shit ‍♂️

MarinersBestFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Come on, pure bullshit. Scott is doing the right thing covering for his start phenom……..Julio hurt it in the HR Derby. Scott’s full of shit ‍♂️

And not disclosing till start of game as well.

Likely came down from the top brass @ M's to disclose Julio scratch late so as not to affect huge ticket demand for this game.

Glad they sat him if he is truly injured, but do not lie to your fans.

Cloud

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Julio is out again. This is a damn shame. I

Cloud

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Steve Harvey Reaction GIF
I actually remembered this play…. And I believe it. But why let him participate in the derby to make his injury worse? Utter bullshit.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We can't shake putting guys up hitting under .200.

Watch, once Jrod returns someone else will go on IR.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Cloud

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I feel like this is a bunch of bullshit. Julio was clearly wincing when he made the slide into second and jammed his wrist onto the cleats of the defender. And it was a wrist that he had already wrapped up on. You mean to tell me no medical staff checked up on him to see how his wrist was doing going into the derby?

A player is always going to tell you he’s okay. It should be up to the team’s doctors to check up on him and then let the manager know.

Servais most likely knew and took Julio’s words for it that he’s okay.

I don’t know what else can be done about this but don’t lie to us like we’re dumb.

Either way, I’m more concerned about Julio’s health and be able to be on the field helping this team win games than a damn derby.

Cloud

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lol. The Astros really put a whiplash into that winning streak.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I feel like this is a bunch of bullshit. Julio was clearly wincing when he made the slide into second and jammed his wrist onto the cleats of the defender. And it was a wrist that he had already wrapped up on. You mean to tell me no medical staff checked up on him to see how his wrist was doing going into the derby?

A player is always going to tell you he’s okay. It should be up to the team’s doctors to check up on him and then let the manager know.

Servais most likely knew and took Julio’s words for it that he’s okay.

I don’t know what else can be done about this but don’t lie to us like we’re dumb.

Either way, I’m more concerned about Julio’s health and be able to be on the field helping this team win games than a damn derby.
The thing is, it doesn't matter which is true, both are bad. Whether or not the team knew he had a thing and didn't attempt to hold him back, or he didn't tell them and did the whole AS thing knowing he was hurt, either aren't good.

He's young and starry eyed. We get it, but this is serious. This is the majors and you can't help your team if you aren't on the field. This is a team desperately trying to get off a playoff drought of epic proportions. Lots of guys have to sitout of the AS game to do what is right for their bodies and for their teams.

Even if he had only had a hit or two these last two games, the clubhouse is different when you have all of your guys. The impact would have been on everyone else, not just his own AB's.

Sure, they might have lost both anyway, but his selfishness in this case took the team down a notch and took an important tool out of their shed.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was hoping they could manage like 5-8 over this stretch of 13 against the yanks/astros and there's still plenty of time for that to happen. They would still be well over .500 and going into a stretch of meh baseball that pretty much runs the rest of the way.

Even a loss tomorrow doesn't change anything major in the quest to break the streak.

I really really just want to see one fucking game where every damned player's ave looks like a major league average lol. If you are going to lose, at least do so with guys up there that look like they belong up there.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The thing is, it doesn't matter which is true, both are bad. Whether or not the team knew he had a thing and didn't attempt to hold him back, or he didn't tell them and did the whole AS thing knowing he was hurt, either aren't good.

He's young and starry eyed. We get it, but this is serious. This is the majors and you can't help your team if you aren't on the field. This is a team desperately trying to get off a playoff drought of epic proportions. Lots of guys have to sitout of the AS game to do what is right for their bodies and for their teams.

Even if he had only had a hit or two these last two games, the clubhouse is different when you have all of your guys. The impact would have been on everyone else, not just his own AB's.

Sure, they might have lost both anyway, but his selfishness in this case took the team down a notch and took an important tool out of their shed.
You’re the medical guy. Isn’t it bad if the ligament is ok for a couple of “high leverage” days then bad enough to be held out, like say a hamstring? This is massively concerning because he is one of the lowest paid players on the team in the middle of the biggest series they have had. If it is something minor then Julio going 0-8 isn’t a big deal.

AceKeptic

Free Agent from Elsewhere
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lol. The Astros really put a whiplash into that winning streak.
Yeah, but while we're talking about that, this series certainly puts that streak into perspective.

Look who we were up against when we won those 14 games. Toronto was probably the best of the bunch as far as win-loss records went.

Now compare that to Houston, or any other Real Contender. Injuries or no, we're just not ready...

It was nice to have that streak, sure, but so it is when it's up against weaker opponents. This is the Real Test, and we're failing. Imagine how it will be next week: in Houston, THEN at Yankee Stadium....uy.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, but while we're talking about that, this series certainly puts that streak into perspective.

Look who we were up against when we won those 14 games. Toronto was probably the best of the bunch as far as win-loss records went.

Now compare that to Houston, or any other Real Contender. Injuries or no, we're just not ready...

It was nice to have that streak, sure, but so it is when it's up against weaker opponents. This is the Real Test, and we're failing. Imagine how it will be next week: in Houston, THEN at Yankee Stadium....uy.
Yeah but the Mariners didn’t put out a major league OF which is why a lot people are craving to burn it down to get Soto.

Msfann

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
14 game winning streak was huge. They aren't going to win them all and losing this series doesn't really matter much since the chances of them catching the Astros this year are slim. But the Mariners are still well within the playoff hunt which is awesome.

If this team is as good as they appear right now they should bounce back from this and still win the majority of the games left.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
14 game winning streak was huge. They aren't going to win them all and losing this series doesn't really matter much since the chances of them catching the Astros this year are slim. But the Mariners are still well within the playoff hunt which is awesome.

If this team is as good as they appear right now they should bounce back from this and still win the majority of the games left.
This is a team of streaks though. Right now they are playing more like the May version of the team, than the June/early July version.

They have shown the capability with the staff they have right now to hit well as a team, but how long will it take to get back to that groove again?

Struggling with NY and Houston are probably expected, but they can't afford to take much time beyond those to get back after it. They don't have a major lead on those WC slots.

They have a lot of work left to do. And I still fear their starting pitchers aren't going to all make it to 162 without injury.

Dipoto HAS to provide more tools for the run.

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't know why the Mariners feel they need to lie to us about how Julio hurt his wrist. Sliding into second base? LOL, no. He hurt it participating in the homerun derby. He wouldn't be the first player jinxed by the HR derby.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Feels a lot more like May than June right now. Get in an early hole and the game already seems out of hand.

Msfann

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't even watch games anymore. All the streaming sites have turned to steaming piles of crap over the last week or so. Sometimes I forget that if you don't pay a cable provider money to watch root sports the mariners don't give a flying crap about you.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well that's enough. These guys don't have it again. This feels over already. Down 4 already.