• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

A's sign Billy Butler, 3 years $30 million + $ 5mill signing bonus

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
glad he's not coming here...well, assuming nintendo will actually pay for something better.

got it from buzzfeed sports on twitter

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why people think Billy is a genius Ill never know.

This fat terd is awful.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:yahoo:

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Im happily wrong. I thought Butler would for sure end up here after failing to land other guys. Figured Butler would be a later signing but if the A's are throwing that at him, he is smart to snatch it and run. Not sure why the A's think hes worth that

StanMarsh51

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Im happily wrong. I thought Butler would for sure end up here after failing to land other guys. Figured Butler would be a later signing but if the A's are throwing that at him, he is smart to snatch it and run. Not sure why the A's think hes worth that

Well he did from 2009-2013 average a .302 BA, 128 OPS+, with 20 HR and 91 RBI per season...so while he did have a poor 2014, he certainly has a track record that shows the ability is there to be productive.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He really hasn't hit the last 2 years. And his home run average is skewed because he has only hit 20 plus homers twice in 8 years. 24 total homers over the last two years. Best move M's never made imo.

StanMarsh51

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He really hasn't hit the last 2 years. And his home run average is skewed because he has only hit 20 plus homers twice in 8 years. 24 total homers over the last two years. Best move M's never made imo.

He wasn't bad by any means however in 2013....he hit .289 with a .374 OBP and 82 RBI on a bad offensive team.

And I don't think the HR total is skewed at all..sure, he's had just two 20+ HR seasons, but he's also had a 19 HR season and multiple 15 HR seasons. And given that he's a pretty well rounded hitter (generally hits for solid average, OBP, gets a fair amount of RBI and doubles), are HRs really the top priority? I mean, John Olerud only hit 20+ HR a handful of times in his entire career (in a much more offensive era), but he made up for it by being a well rounded hitter...obviously not saying Butler is anywhere as good, but a similar concept applies.

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He wasn't bad by any means however in 2013....he hit .289 with a .374 OBP and 82 RBI on a bad offensive team.

And I don't think the HR total is skewed at all..sure, he's had just two 20+ HR seasons, but he's also had a 19 HR season and multiple 15 HR seasons. And given that he's a pretty well rounded hitter (generally hits for solid average, OBP, gets a fair amount of RBI and doubles), are HRs really the top priority? I mean, John Olerud only hit 20+ HR a handful of times in his entire career (in a much more offensive era), but he made up for it by being a well rounded hitter...obviously not saying Butler is anywhere as good, but a similar concept applies.

My issue with Butler is that he is in a two-yearr decline. There was a noticeable dropoff in production from 2012 to 2013 and anotheer noticeable dropoff from 2013 to 2014. When add to the fact that the guy is perpetually 25-40 pounds overweight, I get the impression that his current decline might be permanent. I mean - does he train at all or does he just try to get by on natural talent?

No thanks. We dodged a bullet.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My issue with Butler is that he is in a two-yearr decline. There was a noticeable dropoff in production from 2012 to 2013 and anotheer noticeable dropoff from 2013 to 2014. When add to the fact that the guy is perpetually 25-40 pounds overweight, I get the impression that his current decline might be permanent. I mean - does he train at all or does he just try to get by on natural talent?

No thanks. We dodged a bullet.

Those are my thoughts exactly. Which is why I figured it would be the buy low option we have seen at DH for years here. Turns out he wasn't a buy low option because someone gave him good money. Could I be wrong? Sure of course but I have seen this story to many times here.

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Billy has grounded into 160 double plays over the past 7 years. That might be a record for a 7 year stretch. Lose some weight, bro.

gowazzu02

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First of all. I would of happily taken .290 from our DH spot the last 4 years. so lets not act like were all high and mighty here.

I thought we'd end up with him on a buy lower ish type deal. he's still only 28.

Mondo Jay

Wine Mafia
Hoopla Cash
$ 7,690.94
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wonder if the M's will pull the trigger on J Upton? He removed them from his list of no-trade destinations this summer.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First of all. I would of happily taken .290 from our DH spot the last 4 years.

as would everybody on here.

we can still be happy the m's didn't devote 10% of their payroll to him for 3 years, and it's not "high and mighty" in the slightest.

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wonder if the M's will pull the trigger on J Upton? He removed them from his list of no-trade destinations this summer.

I think the Braves won't move Upton unless they get overwhelmed. They were second to last in the majors in runs scored last year. You don't fix that by trading your most potent bat. And if they were having a firesale as some media people are speculating, why would they be linked to Jon Lester? All the Mariners can offer them is some combination of Saunders, Elias and prospects. i don't think that is enough to entice them.

Upton is an FA after the 2015 season, so I see the logic in trading him if the Braves were clearly a team on the decline. But I don't think they are. If the team doesn't compete next year, I can see them trying to move him in July.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First of all. I would of happily taken .290 from our DH spot the last 4 years. so lets not act like were all high and mighty here.

I thought we'd end up with him on a buy lower ish type deal. he's still only 28.

That is why stats lie. Yes those numbers are correct, but to use them by themselves as evidence is misleading.
1- He is a fat 28 year old who has marginal power and those types don't age well.
2- His average is a .24 point drop followed up by another .18 point drop.
3- He offers nothing on defense.
4- He offers nothing on the bases.
5- Take any and all stats and devalue them as a hitter playing for Safeco.

With all that, you aren't getting much for $30M. An improvement over what we have? Maybe, but if you want a .290 hitter at DH you can sign back Ichiro who can hit .290 in Safeco in his sleep for a couple million.

Kind of interesting us arguing his value when the greatest proof of value is the fact his one and only team that loves him didn't find him worth even $12.5M for one year. And KC needs offense just as bad as the next team.

gowazzu02

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is why stats lie. Yes those numbers are correct, but to use them by themselves as evidence is misleading.
1- He is a fat 28 year old who has marginal power and those types don't age well.

With all that, you aren't getting much for $30M. An improvement over what we have? Maybe, but if you want a .290 hitter at DH you can sign back Ichiro who can hit .290 in Safeco in his sleep for a couple million.

Kind of interesting us arguing his value when the greatest proof of value is the fact his one and only team that loves him didn't find him worth even $12.5M for one year. And KC needs offense just as bad as the next team.

You make good points. Ill counter with, Fat guys will always have a position in the American League. DH's by definition dont bring anything to the defensive side, Most also don't bring speed either.

You wnat him to do one thing and one thing only Drive in runs.

Can't compare us to KC. We are a much larger market and should have a much higher pay roll.

The way baseball contracts are going (see russel martin) Butler at 10 mill is a good deal imo.........

StanMarsh51

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Well, Ichiro nowadays is also going to get you a .310 OBP and 40 RBI. Butler at his worst is going to give you a lot more even in a bad year. Fat position players don't age well, but if you look at the trends, that tends to happen in the early 30s (in many cases around 32-33ish there's a huge dropoff, whether due to injury or skill loss). Butler will be 31 by the end of the deal, so it's not as worrisome based on the trends.

One of the reasons they're saying KC didn't make him an offer was that they're looking into having a DH rotation next year so they can give Perez, Gordon, Moustakis etc days off from the field (which obviously leaves Butler as the odd man out).

Last edited by a moderator:

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The way baseball contracts are going (see russel martin) Butler at 10 mill is a good deal imo.........

If he can be the hitter he was in even 2013, then maybe.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now this;

Susan Slusser of the San Francisco Chronicle reports that the Athletics have acquired Ike Davis from the Pirates for international slot money.
The Pirates designated Davis for assignment earlier in the week and were content flipping him for anything they could get. Davis still possesses massive power potential and could find his way into the A's lineup fairly regularly against right-handed pitching. Nov 23 - 4:42 PM

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
glad he's not coming here...well, assuming nintendo will actually pay for something better.

got it from buzzfeed sports on twitter

yes, it's only november

tick tock