• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Article on how speaking in foreign languages in youth tennis is a penalty.

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its a rule because they dont want players cursing (especially about officials) in another language. Cursing in English gets you a penalty as well. The USTA is not anti Spanish or foreign language. It does sound like some of the officials were though. As far as the people in the stands, I would have punched them in the face if they tried to tell me what I could or could not say.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its a rule because they dont want players cursing (especially about officials) in another language. Cursing in English gets you a penalty as well. The USTA is not anti Spanish or foreign language. It does sound like some of the officials were though. As far as the people in the stands, I would have punched them in the face if they tried to tell me what I could or could not say.

Makes sense.

But can't they sense the moment and decide if someone is cursing or not?

For example, if a player says something after he won a point, he probably isn't cursing, but saying some variation of "come on", "let's go", "yes!", etc.

So a reaction at that time, even if in another language, should be ok.

If he says something after losing a point, then it's more likely to be a curse word.

I liked the idea in the article of the player would give a heads up to the referee that these are the words he might just instinctively say during a match, and that they aren't curse words. Can they make a rule that if you give the referee a heads up before the match, and explain what those phrases mean, then it will be ok?

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Makes sense.

But can't they sense the moment and decide if someone is cursing or not?

For example, if a player says something after he won a point, he probably isn't cursing, but saying some variation of "come on", "let's go", "yes!", etc.

So a reaction at that time, even if in another language, should be ok.

If he says something after losing a point, then it's more likely to be a curse word.

I liked the idea in the article of the player would give a heads up to the referee that these are the words he might just instinctively say during a match, and that they aren't curse words. Can they make a rule that if you give the referee a heads up before the match, and explain what those phrases mean, then it will be ok?

Too wishy washy. The USTA wants to keep it black and white. Plus these are not international events. Maybe at the junior majors the rules are different.

Obviously the rules for Pro tennis are different but they play under ATP and WTA rules.