• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Article I Came Across

ForkEmBucky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was hunting Wisconsin football stories and came across this Huskers article.

Alvarez's raise, and a bigger picture

This is the part that got my attention.

"Millions are spent on lavish facilities ... because the efficient method to attract talent -- simply offering a higher compensation package -- is not allowed. The so-called 'arms race' in college sports to build bigger and better facilities would be dampened by allowing schools to compete by directly paying those whom the race is trying to influence. If the money is going to be spent anyway, let's direct it to the people generating the revenue, not large construction firms."

Bottom line, it's fair to argue that some fair portion of the billions in revenue should flow to the athletes who generate them -- especially in the six BCS automatic-qualifier conferences.

The article is pretty convincing in its contention that such a scenario wouldn't be much different than the status quo.

If nothing else, the article dispels a lot of myths and makes you think.

I don't think the stipend would make a difference. Everyone would be giving out the same thing. It will still come down to facilities, history, perks, etc... The programs that have outdated facilities will still be at a major disadvantage.

HawkeyeHater

Not a drunk
Hoopla Cash
$ 750.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Im very much for all student atletes getting 800 bucks a month.... however, it would get cheated and the stars at usc would get 80000 a month