• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Anyone use SAP ERP software?

Cobrabit

Resident Polymath
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,041.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just wondering.

I've been taking part in a two week intensive TERP10 test prep and will take the exam on Friday morning. This is something we decided to offer this year for our engineering and technology academy students (high school juniors and seniors) and look to continue to offer during the summers. We've got a couple that signed up to take it and even though they didn't have any experience with SAP before, I've been extremely impressed with their attitudes and work ethic these last couple weeks. I also had no experience with it, so I can attest to the difficulties that they're going through.

As these students return for their senior years, we're going to have a course on ERP Distribution Systems in the spring they could take and retake this summer test prep if they so choose. From the info I've been given, if one of our high school students pass, they would be the first in the country to do so. In perspective, the general public with SAP experience that take the course have a pass rate of 55%, while college students that have at least a full semester worth of experience have a pass rate of 65%. With that said, it would be extremely impressive if they would pass, even though unlikely in this pilot year.

Oh well, got some studying to do (almost 1000 page manual). We'll see how close I can get to pass.

ckhokie

Supporting Member Level 69
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am not proficient in SAP, but that's great if you're offering this to kids. I hope they know how valuable this can be in finding (high paying) jobs.

I work with R12 Oracle Financials. I am proficient technically and functionally in 6-7 modules and that has taken ~4 years.

ckhokie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are they learning only front-end functionality, or back-end as well?

Cobrabit

Resident Polymath
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,041.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, it's a great opportunity for students and we hope that it at least gets them thinking about a possible college/career choice. Especially since everything in our academy is completely free to them. They can walk out of our program with 12-13 credits in an ABET accredited engineering or technology program along with certification opportunities in SAP ERP and SolidWorks (looking into others). We also offer opportunities for placement in paid summer internships with local high tech/advanced manufacturing industries.

As our program is currently only offered as a dual enrollment high school program, we're also planning on offering a BS degree continuance program in engineering for those that have their associate degrees, hopefully starting fall of 2015. So our students can go through our academy, move on to the local community colleges to get their AS degrees (probably in engineering technology) and return to us for their last two years to get their BS without ever leaving their home, saving thousands.

At least that's the goal of what we started two years ago and are now expanding to include another location about 45 minutes away with others in the regional area interested in future expansions. This fall we'll have 5 schools systems covering 11 high schools and about 75 students (100 or so the following year).

At Our original location, we will move into a brand new 50,000 sq ft facility this fall that will also house a high bay floor that will include a 5 axis CNC and advanced film machinery along with some others. While our high school students won't be old enough to actually get their hands on the equipment, they'll be literally right next to them getting a first hand view of advanced manufacturing.

Hopefully they'll be smart enough to take full advantage as I wish I would have had a similar program when I was their age. Our goal is to increase the education and skill set level of our local population to attract additional industries to locate here, as this area currently has the highest unemployment in the state (devastated when the furniture and textile factories shut down/moved overseas over the last 20 years).

HuskerinBig10

Dad, World Traveler, Investor, college football
Hoopla Cash
$ 436.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In the 90s SAP ERP became huge. Back then, SAP Engineers could make $300,000 per year. The corporation I worked for was selling solutions for $6,000,000 to $12,000,000 in my cornfields district. In the cities, the solutions were going for upwards of $100,000,000. Those were the days.

Completely turned corporations upside down and inside out. Once it got going it was good, in some cases it took years. It replaced all these homegrown systems that did not interact. Good thing to teach the students.

My wife's corporation started the pain two-three years ago, and still is going through it. Tough to replace homegrown systems when people are afraid for their jobs and refuse to work with the new stuff because they have to get their work done.

Cobrabit

Resident Polymath
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,041.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are they learning only front-end functionality, or back-end as well?

They're going through the theory and working through exercises in 14 modules that include:

1. SAP ERP and SAP NetWeaver
2. ERP Basics
3. Financial Accounting
4. Management Accounting
5. Purchase to Pay Business Process
6. Material Planning Business Process
7. Manufacturing Business Process
8. Order to Cash Business Process
9. Inventory and Warehouse Management
10. Life cycle Data Management
11. Enterprise Asset Management and Customer Service
12. Program and Project Management
13. Human Capital Management
14. SAP NetWeaver BW

Basically, we're getting a ton of information on the theory thrown at us along with some exercises that help reinforce the lessons. The exam will be theory based, not actually working with the software. The students have the most difficulty with the accounting, as they've never had a course in it so far, and it just so happens to tie into pretty much ever unit.

My realistic outcome is these students get a feel for the prep course, take the semester course this upcoming year (even though it will not go as in depth), and retake the prep course with a better chance of passing the certification exam next summer. In the future, we probably won't offer this prep course until students have taken the semester course, but we got some additional money in the budget to try it out this year.

Cobrabit

Resident Polymath
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,041.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In the 90s SAP ERP became huge. Back then, SAP Engineers could make $300,000 per year. The corporation I worked for was selling solutions for $6,000,000 to $12,000,000 in my cornfields district. In the cities, the solutions were going for upwards of $100,000,000. Those were the days.

Completely turned corporations upside down and inside out. Once it got going it was good, in some cases it took years. It replaced all these homegrown systems that did not interact. Good thing to teach the students.

My wife's corporation started the pain two-three years ago, and still is going through it. Tough to replace homegrown systems when people are afraid for their jobs and refuse to work with the new stuff because they have to get their work done.

I can imagine the pain converting over. Our instructor has mentioned that it's a lot easier learning when you come into it with no idea, rather than experience with home grown systems that you have to unlearn.

ckhokie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Basically, we're getting a ton of information on the theory thrown at us along with some exercises that help reinforce the lessons. The exam will be theory based, not actually working with the software. The students have the most difficulty with the accounting, as they've never had a course in it so far, and it just so happens to tie into pretty much ever unit.

Granted, I am only 27, but I think near the end of my career, I would like to pick up teaching. Either Finance/Accounting in High Schools, teaching basic personal finance, time value of money, how to do your taxes, and basic accounting, or teach college students a finance/accounting based course going through case studies, geared toward those trying to get into Financial/Management Consulting.

Cobrabit

Resident Polymath
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,041.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Granted, I am only 27, but I think near the end of my career, I would like to pick up teaching. Either Finance/Accounting in High Schools, teaching basic personal finance, time value of money, how to do your taxes, and basic accounting, or teach college students a finance/accounting based course going through case studies, geared toward those trying to get into Financial/Management Consulting.

Well Virginia has now made basic finance a required course for graduation recently, but not many schools offer additional courses (and those teaching it aren't necessarily the best qualified). If you do eventually decide to get into education, let me know if you'd like some advice (will be starting my 10th year this fall).

Sactown Boom!

Lurker Extraordinaire
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A SAP thread?

You people are sick. Get help. Quickly.

Sactown Boom!

Lurker Extraordinaire
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well Virginia has now made basic finance a required course for graduation recently, but not many schools offer additional courses (and those teaching it aren't necessarily the best qualified). If you do eventually decide to get into education, let me know if you'd like some advice (will be starting my 10th year this fall).

You need a de-programmer. SAP will ruin your life man. It's never too late to get out.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've never touched SAP. I have mostly worked in the SOHO market and now I manage what would be considered a mid sized business, but in these thin budget times no one has the luxury for such systems. At least not at this level.

We use Sage MAS100 for the financials and while I don't much care for it, it's far cheaper than SAP or the other mega platforms.

Cobrabit

Resident Polymath
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,041.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Woohoo! I passed and am now SAP TERP10 certified :suds: