• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Anybody own a 45-70

OnlyCrimson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just bought a Marlin 1895GBL and I could use some ammo advise. The only ammo my local store had in that caliber was the Hornady LeVeRevolution. That round is a beast but it kicks so hard that I don't find enjoyable after 3 shots. I'm looking for more of a fun, target round when I'm just shooting. Any advise?

Edisto_Tiger

Member Sporting a Natty
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A friend of mine is a gun enthusiast, borderline nut, and I'll ask him. He knows his stuff. He has a small arsenal and loads most of his own rounds. I'll see him tomorrow and let you know what he says.

AHFox

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have to ask does the s/n on your Marlin have an MR along with numbers if so I hate to say this get rid of the Remington made peice of shit and look for one that doesn't have the MR in front of the s/n the qualtiy control is shit Remington has fucked a lot of things up latley. The CTI 105 shotgun and now they've had 3 recalls on the versamax!

grayghost668

Gun Control,,,,not likely
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I used to have one it was a marlin lever action I don't remember which model mine the recoil was not bad on at all as for ammo go to this web site ,,,,midway usa they have 3 pages of ammo for that calibur,,,good luck

OnlyCrimson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have to ask does the s/n on your Marlin have an MR along with numbers if so I hate to say this get rid of the Remington made peice of shit and look for one that doesn't have the MR in front of the s/n the qualtiy control is shit Remington has fucked a lot of things up latley. The CTI 105 shotgun and now they've had 3 recalls on the versamax!

The serial number does start with MR. Thanks for the heads up, I will keep a close watch on the gun. As it is right now I'm happy with it but I have only shot it 5 times due to the recoil.

All with open sights:

1st shot - 50 yards, 1" high, windage was perfect

2nd and 3rd shot - 100 yards, 3" high windage was perfect, one "clover" hole

4th and 5th shot - 200 yards, 3" low, bullets pulled to the left about two inches due to a crosswind, 1 3/4" group

OnlyCrimson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I found a website that had a very in depth break down of several different ammo types in just about all guns ever made. According to that website, the Hornady LeVeRevolution 325 grain chamber in 45-70 had one of the highest muzzle energy readings. That Hornady round is basically a "magnum" or "plus P" for the 45-70. It appears that I have 3 options regarding ammo:

#1 Keep what I got and deal with the painful recoil.

#2 From what I have read it appears that if I buy 45-70 ammo that is marked "Safe for All Guns" the recoil should be no more than a .270 win. This is do able.

#3 Start reloading my own and load them how I want them.

I'm leaning towards #3. I have been wanting to reload some 45 colts for awhile now. Since I now have the 45-70 also and these are two great rounds to reload due to case design, I might just pick up another hobby.

I had to re qualify with my AR (.223) monday and I struggled due to my shoulder still hurting from shooting that Hornady round 5 times over the weekend, that is how brutal that round is.

AHFox

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
crimson the reason why I'm letting you know is my best friend is in the gun biz owns his own shop and at this time he will not be buying anymore remington and marlin due to all the returns he has dealt with the last few years. I know he has several Marlins in the last few year ship back to remington more than three times due to all types of issues, sights not drilled right, will not even feed ammo.