• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Any Samsung Galaxy 6 users here?

SDGuy73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,159.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm wondering how much you can do with the phone just using your voice. I know Apple has Siri but I'm not Apple fan.

My hands don't work....so I'm asking. Thanks.

Cali Steel

Poster Extraordinaire !!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.18
Fav. Team #1
I have the note 5.
Same thing basically.
It does quite a bit by voice command.
I can ask it how to say something in Spanish, and it will speak the translation to me.
Just asked it how cold it is in Minny........-2

Sgt Brutus

Goober
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have the edge but never use the voice features.

I just looked around and it seem google provides a voice function. Asked it to call someone with ease. I would imagine it's comparable to Siri if not better. Sent a text real fast to my sister as well.

SDGuy73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,159.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I just looked around and it seem google provides a voice function. Asked it to call someone with ease. I would imagine it's comparable to Siri if not better. Sent a text real fast to my sister as well.

Will the phone wake up via your voice. Meaning....when the screen is black and you tell it to call someone...will it or do you have to hit a button to wake it up and then ask.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have a 6 and use the google now feature fairly often. I have a holder to snap my phone into in my car and do pretty much everything by voice. Text messages, make calls, start up navigation, look shit up. etc. It can do it all without ever touching it as long as you have it setup right.

Your voice can active it with the screen off as long as you are charging. In otherwords, it will not listen while on battery with the screen off.

I do believe if you use bluetooth it will still wake it up even on battery, but I don't use it that way so I don't know for sure.

You do have to go setup the feature to make it work as you are asking, it isn't all turned on by default, but it's not that hard to look up how to setup those features.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And I use thumbprint scan for security and have it setup to unlock the phone by trained voice and it does this just fine. It wakes up the phone and takes it out of security mode just by saying 'ok google'.

Sgt Brutus

Goober
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Will the phone wake up via your voice. Meaning....when the screen is black and you tell it to call someone...will it or do you have to hit a button to wake it up and then ask.
I set up encryption on my device so a lengthy password is needed to unlock the phone so I couldn't tell you on that one

JuiceTheGator

Purveyor of Justice
Hoopla Cash
$ 903.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Ask it if Ohio State is panicking.

SDGuy73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,159.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And I use thumbprint scan for security and have it setup to unlock the phone by trained voice and it does this just fine. It wakes up the phone and takes it out of security mode just by saying 'ok google'.

Have you updated the phone to marshmallow...OS v6? Have you noticed if the battery lasts longer?

The S7 comes out March 11th. I'm hoping the S6 will come down in price after S7's release.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Have you updated the phone to marshmallow...OS v6? Have you noticed if the battery lasts longer?

The S7 comes out March 11th. I'm hoping the S6 will come down in price after S7's release.
No, I usually wait until the carrier (AT&T in my case) pushes the updates out and that hasn't happened yet. I can tell you I don't have the same battery issues as some do. I tend to recharge my phone about every other day or so. It's on 24/7 because I'm always on call. I don't keep it in battery saver mode, it's always full on. I tend to forget to turn off the wifi and GPS so most of the time those are on and I have ESPN, Facebook, and Twitter always on. I can talk for hours and not drain it. I do turn off all apps frequently just to keep browsers and such from sucking up juice in the background.

Of course every phone gets in those moods where they power drain fast. Maybe once every month or so? I just reboot it.

If I don't have any calls my phone can go days without recharging. I tend to do more texting than voice as it is.

night

Undocumented PhD
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My S5's voice command software works better than anybody's Apple phone that I know. I was thinking about upgrading to the S7 this month before I found out ATT discontinued the 2 year contract deal and now the phones are about 3 times as expensive as they used to be. What a gyp.

night

Undocumented PhD
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, I usually wait until the carrier (AT&T in my case) pushes the updates out and that hasn't happened yet. I can tell you I don't have the same battery issues as some do. I tend to recharge my phone about every other day or so. It's on 24/7 because I'm always on call. I don't keep it in battery saver mode, it's always full on. I tend to forget to turn off the wifi and GPS so most of the time those are on and I have ESPN, Facebook, and Twitter always on. I can talk for hours and not drain it. I do turn off all apps frequently just to keep browsers and such from sucking up juice in the background.

Of course every phone gets in those moods where they power drain fast. Maybe once every month or so? I just reboot it.

If I don't have any calls my phone can go days without recharging. I tend to do more texting than voice as it is.
I have a battery saving app that works pretty well...at least better than my old one. I found out the old one was sucking down data like crazy so I uninstalled it and downloaded a different one. You might want to think about uninstalling Facebook if you can because it's a battery hog (even in the background). It's possible to still get notifications from using the site with a browser too.

SDGuy73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,159.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My S5's voice command software works better than anybody's Apple phone that I know. I was thinking about upgrading to the S7 this month before I found out ATT discontinued the 2 year contract deal and now the phones are about 3 times as expensive as they used to be. What a gyp.

What software?

I was looking at buying the S7 yesterday. Best Buy had it for $299 for a two year contract but you had to have a $85 per month plan. Fuck that. $30 a month with a 1g of data is all I need.

night

Undocumented PhD
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What software?

I was looking at buying the S7 yesterday. Best Buy had it for $299 for a two year contract but you had to have a $85 per month plan. Fuck that. $30 a month with a 1g of data is all I need.
I don't remember what it is called but it comes pre-loaded. I just double click the home button. If the phone is already unlocked and at the home screen I can also say "okay Google" and I can search for whatever.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have a battery saving app that works pretty well...at least better than my old one. I found out the old one was sucking down data like crazy so I uninstalled it and downloaded a different one. You might want to think about uninstalling Facebook if you can because it's a battery hog (even in the background). It's possible to still get notifications from using the site with a browser too.
Like I said, my phone lasts long enough as it is. I typically never turn off the GPS or WiFi and the facebook app is running and I can go a couple of days without charging if I need to. I typically only charge it on my way to work and maybe plug it in on Sundays at home. It's just not an issue or I would think about it.

When I do use the Samsung battery saver mode I can go days and days on a charge. Maybe I'm just lucky? :noidea:
What software?

It's called Google Now.
I think on most S series phones the google search bar is on one of your screens (home I believe) by default and as long as you have that screen up and your phone isn't asleep you can simply say 'ok google' to get it to listen to you.

As I said earlier, there are ways of expanding it so it will listen at all times even when the screen is off.

It has a fairly long list of commands and does a pretty good job of understanding and complying.

I typically use it to open and set a nav point, send a text message, answer/open a call, or look up something on the web while I'm driving. But it has quite a bit more it can do.

Lions=TeHsUcKs

Basketball School
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

They almost have the same specs too.

Rockinkuwait

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Like I said, my phone lasts long enough as it is. I typically never turn off the GPS or WiFi and the facebook app is running and I can go a couple of days without charging if I need to. I typically only charge it on my way to work and maybe plug it in on Sundays at home. It's just not an issue or I would think about it.

When I do use the Samsung battery saver mode I can go days and days on a charge. Maybe I'm just lucky? :noidea:

It's called Google Now.
I think on most S series phones the google search bar is on one of your screens (home I believe) by default and as long as you have that screen up and your phone isn't asleep you can simply say 'ok google' to get it to listen to you.

As I said earlier, there are ways of expanding it so it will listen at all times even when the screen is off.

It has a fairly long list of commands and does a pretty good job of understanding and complying.

I typically use it to open and set a nav point, send a text message, answer/open a call, or look up something on the web while I'm driving. But it has quite a bit more it can do.

Yup, just "ok google" and you can tell it to do a lot, add stuff to your calendar, check weather, set alarms, play music, even ties to a bunch of apps... I showed a buddy how it works the other day and he's using it all the time now.

night

Undocumented PhD
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I don't know about battery saving mode but I can guarantee you getting rid of the Facebook app will save you battery life. It doesn't sound like you need it though.

SDGuy73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,159.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have a 6 and use the google now feature fairly often. I have a holder to snap my phone into in my car and do pretty much everything by voice. Text messages, make calls, start up navigation, look shit up. etc. It can do it all without ever touching it as long as you have it setup right.

Your voice can active it with the screen off as long as you are charging. In otherwords, it will not listen while on battery with the screen off.

I do believe if you use bluetooth it will still wake it up even on battery, but I don't use it that way so I don't know for sure.

You do have to go setup the feature to make it work as you are asking, it isn't all turned on by default, but it's not that hard to look up how to setup those features.

I finally got a phone. I like Google Now. It works pretty well. You say you make calls with it? When you tell it to call so-and-so, does yours put it on speaker? When I've tried it, it doesn't. Is there a setting for it? S-voice automatically put speaker on when I had it call someone.

My phone has a finger print scanner. Which I can't used. LOL. I'm confused. Are you using thumbprint to unlock? Thumbprint and trained voice together to unlock? For twice the security? I'll have to look up trained voice to see if I can use that to unlock it.

I appreciate your help and time.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Most android phones do not have a built in setting for auto activating to speakerphone, however there are a few apps that appear to do that. One is called like auto speaker or something close.

As for voice/thumb print, I meant even though my phone is locked and requires a thumb print to unlock it, google now still works with it locked and will still make calls, bring up driving directions, etc because I gave it permission to do so in the settings. It remains locked during those activities, but allows those commands to perform those functions and only works on my trained voice.