• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Angel Hernandez suing MLB and Rob Manfred for racial discrimination

Chewbaccer

Illustrious Potentate
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For not getting more post seasons opportunities or promotions.

Umpire Angel Hernandez Files Lawsuit Against MLB And Rob Manfred

Sorry, Angel, but when you only really have CB Bucknor and Joe West standing between you and the label of worst umpire in the Majors, you should be thankful you still have a 6 figure job that a lot of folks would die for.

Chewbaccer

Illustrious Potentate
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For not getting more post seasons opportunities or promotions.

Umpire Angel Hernandez Files Lawsuit Against MLB And Rob Manfred

Sorry, Angel, but when you only really have CB Bucknor and Joe West standing between you and the label of worst umpire in the Majors, you should be thankful you still have a 6 figure job that a lot of folks would die for.

Major League Baseball umpire Angel Hernandez has filed a suit against both MLB and commissioner Rob Manfred over not receiving additional postseason assignments or other promotions due to perceived racial motivations.

The selection of these less qualified, white individuals over Hernandez was motivated by racial, national origin and/or ethnic considerations,” reads the lawsuit via Cincinnati.com

In addition to the lawsuit against Manfred, Hernandez charges that the opportunities for him to work World Series games and to become a full-time crew chief have been stunted since Joe Torre took over as chief baseball officer of MLB in 2011.

“Though it may seem as if Major League Baseball’s problems with Hernandez begin and end with some personal animus, Torre, and some other individuals in the Office of the Commissioner may have towards Hernandez, an overview of how Major League Baseball has treated minorities such as Hernandez shows a much deeper and more troubling trend,” reads the lawsuit.

The 55-year-old Hernandez was born in Havana, and is one of few minority umpires currently employed by MLB.

Hernandez has worked two World Series in his career, neither of which involved the Torre-managed New York Yankees. A portion of the lawsuit claims that he had been denied opportunities to umpire in the World Series.

As recently as last season, he umpired the National League Championship Series between the Chicago Cubs and Los Angeles Dodgers. He has appeared in both the division series and league championship series on eight occasions in his career, as well as two All-Star Games.

He currently is working under crew chief Ted Barrett.

Chewbaccer

Illustrious Potentate
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Guess it does suck that you've been an MLB umpire for nearly 30 years and only got to work in two World Series, but incompetence will do that for you.

He's lucky he survived the purge when the leagues combined umpires.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They need to purge a few shitty ones.

Angel bring close to the top of that list.

Fuck him.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He, CB Bucknor and Joe West are the 3 that I can't stand.
West bothers me the most. It's like he thinks people come to watch him watch the game. (A la Jerry Crawford.)

Bucknor is just straight up awful behind the plate. No idea how they don't force both out. I'd force Angel out after this and deal with whatever consequences come of it.

Chewbaccer

Illustrious Potentate
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
West bothers me the most. It's like he thinks people come to watch him watch the game. (A la Jerry Crawford.)

Bucknor is just straight up awful behind the plate. No idea how they don't force both out. I'd force Angel out after this and deal with whatever consequences come of it.

I don't remember it, but I've heard that West used to be a good umpire back in the day. Guess after the purge when they combined the league umpires, he figured he'd be safe with the union and stopped caring and focusing on his music "career".

Chewbaccer

Illustrious Potentate
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

And just for personal reasons, I'd like to see Sam Holbrook dragged behind a horse for a few miles. Infield fly calling sumbitch.

Destroydacre

Throws stuff out windows
Hoopla Cash
$ 90.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's funny that the suit adds that minority umps are discriminated against, yet the only 3 I can think of off the top of my head are Angel Hernandez, CB Bucknor and Laz Diaz, who are 3 of the worst umpires in MLB. Maybe instead of claiming racism, try sucking a little less. This is the same guy that signaled safe off a replay review last Sunday when the call was out.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't remember it, but I've heard that West used to be a good umpire back in the day. Guess after the purge when they combined the league umpires, he figured he'd be safe with the union and stopped caring and focusing on his music "career".
It musta been before I paid attention.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Same here. Chip and Joe on the Braves broadcast mentioned it the last time Joe West was behind the plate for a Braves game.
They used to play his music and make fun of him on Tigers broadcasts. But that even ran its course.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For a second there I read it as Angel Pagan... Then re-read it and realized, "dude, you are an idiot, you suck at umpiring, that's why you didn't get more opportunities"