• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

All we are saying...is give Jaundice Vajayjay a chance?

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
The Right Pick is Not Always the Popular One - Raptors Draft Valanciunas Fifth Overall from raptorshq

You could hear the explosion from fans, the moment the pick was announced.

On Twitter, on Facebook, online via various Raptors' forums it was everywhere, and the resounding cry was a collective "nooooooooooooo."

It was as if Bryan Colangelo had selected Andrea Bargnani all over again.

Yes, the Toronto Raptors passed on college studs Brandon Knight and Kemba Walker, as well as top upside athletes like Kawhi Leonard and Bismack Biyombo to take a relatively unknown Lithuanian big man, Jonas Valanciunas.

At face value as a fan, it's pretty hard to stomach the pick.

Not only are we talking about a player who has proven very little basketball-wise at this stage of his career (especially compared to the Jimmer Fredette's and Kemba Walker's of the draft), but also one who may not be able to join the Dinos for at least a season.

Coming off a 22 win season, and a team desperate for an influx of top talent, that's indeed a tough pill to swallow so to speak.

For many fans in fact, this pick may have been the last straw, and some of my closest friends last night even admitted that the sliver of interest they had in this club had been extinguished for good.

And I get that.

Hell, I've been one of the most critical voices of Bryan Colangelo the past few seasons, so it's not like I was ready to sound the victory parade after this selection.

That being said, I love this pick.

We're talking about a player who is a consensus top option across the boards of people I trust in this process, and one that actually fits the needs of this team.

Sure, I would have been happy with Kawhi Leonard or Brandon Knight, but can you really say they were better options?

Safer perhaps, but I'd say even that's debatable.

In a draft like this, after the top two guys, there just wasn't a lot in terms of sure-fire solutions (and I'm not even sold on Derrick Williams for that matter) and I think Toronto got a top talent with their choice.

The "Euro-backlash" that's now underway amongst Raptors' fans is frankly ridiculous, because it has nothing to do with the quality of the pick last night.

If Valanciunas had gone to UCONN or Kentucky, would everyone have felt better about the pick?

We did extensive previews on Jonas pre-draft and we're not talking about another Andrea Bargnani here.

We're talking about a talent that Draftexpress compared to "Andris Biedrins meets Joakim Noah," and who excels in finishing at the rim. In fact from a recent Draftexpress breakdown:

When Valanciunas was on the court for Rytas, he was asked to play hard and spend a considerable amount of time setting screens out on the perimeter. Roll man situations accounted for nearly a quarter of his touches (2nd) and he scored on an absurd 73% of his possessions when catching the ball rolling to the rim. This ranked him 3rd in this category behind Tristan Thompson and Kenneth Faried, who saw less than 2% of their offensive possessions in this manner, a far cry from Valanaciunas' 23.2%.

Sound like something the Raptors could use?

On top of this I love the pick on a macro level.

Let's face it. Brandon Knight, Kemba Walker, Bismack Biyombo, Kyle Singler, whoever...none of these guys were making a the Raptors a 40 win team next year. John Wall couldn't turn the Wizards around last season, and there were no John Wall's available at 5 for Toronto.

Now the team can let Jonas develop overseas for a year, return to the lottery next spring in a much stronger draft, and then make a big leap in the standings the year after next.

And if there is no lottery or season?

Even better.

The Raps get a free season of development from Jonas while the lock-out is on, and when things return to normal, they'll be better off for it.

Now that being said, there's no guarantee this pick works out.

However I'm much less concerned about Jonas not coming over and being the next Fran Vasquez, then the fact that like any prospect picked last night, he simply doesn't develop as expected. That happens.

All the advanced metrics in the world can compare him to Tyson Chandler, or rate him as the fourth best prospect in this bunch (as John Hollinger of ESPN.com did recently), but it's up to Jonas now to show and prove. For every Pau Gasol, there are two or three Skitta's and Darko's.

In fact Pau Gasol is an interesting name to use in this analysis.

Some have used the Spaniard as a comparison for Valanciunas, but to me, the manner in which Gasol was selected is the better compare.

In the 2001 draft, players who were viewed as sure-fire future studs like Kwame Brown, Tyson Chandler and Eddy Curry went off the board early and cluttered amongst this trio was Mr. Gasol. The Gasol pick was met with much head-scratching and generally panned by most NBA fans as a waste of a selection.

"Why take some unknown European player when college standouts like Shane Battier and Eddie Griffin were available?", cried the general public.

"Or better yet, high school studs like Kedrick Brown and Saga Diop?"

And it's the same thing this morning.

As Michael Grange put it, Raptors fans have decided that "this is the year they've just said 'yes' to xenophobia."

I'm not buying into this line of thought, and I hope that our readers aren't either.

I hated the Hedo Turkoglu signing because I thought he was a terribly overrated player and a bad fit, not because he was European.

I wasn't a fan of the Andrea Bargnani selection in 2006 because I didn't see his potential as a 5, and Chris Bosh was already the franchise 4. It had little to do with his nationality or any stigma that was attached.

There were other "European" options in this draft that I didn't like for various reasons, and had they been the choice at 5, I would have expressed my frustration.

But not simply because they didn't attend a D1 school.

Really, for me last night wasn't even about who the Raptors picked per se, but more the manner in which it was done.

It would have been easy for Bryan Colangelo to take a Knight or a Walker, but he took the player who he felt long-term was indeed the best choice for the team. Considering the tighter leash that he's currently on contractually, that takes a lot of guts, and frankly that's something I want from my team's management.

In addition, this draft is really a minute piece in terms of next season.

For this team to improve, it's going to have to come via free-agency, the youngsters on the current roster, and whatever changes tactically the new coaching staff implement.

So before we all get too bent out of shape about this pick, let's put things in perspective a bit.

After all, as Bryan Colangelo said post-draft, at one point the selection of Kevin Johnson was booed, and we know how that turned out.

CarlWinslow

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
he's a bust until proven otherwise, same with bc. guys not the stiff i thought but i've still got a hunch there's going to be a few players better than him picked behind. i don't see this guy ever being a big intiminating center with that wirey frame, mmaybe he's a bargnani replacement and will be playing next to davis in a few years cause davis (baring injury) is going to intiminate defences more than this 7 foot m. bonner ever will

froman77

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's official now, lockout or not, Vally wont play for us next season. The Raptors agreed to a buyout that will have him come over for the 2012-2013 season.

I'm happy now with this pick. Everybody thinks Brandon Knight or Kemba Walker or some sucker like that would've been better. It's just bullshit. None of us know. This guy is only 19 and put up some very good stats in the Euroleague. One analytics guy on ESPN had him as the 4th best player in the draft. When Bosh first came into the league he was skinny and wirey too, but he put on weight and was able to bang around a little.

(I just got depressed making that comparison to Bosh. Maybe I'm not as happy as I think. Fuck)

Anyways, my faith is in the Lithuanian people. They're tough mofos.

froman77

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And this means more time for Ed Davis next season. It'd be sweet if Davis started next season.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
From Sports Haze:

4) Toronto: Last but not least, we have our beloved Raptors who selected Jonas Valanciunas . And no I’m not ranking them here just because I’m a Raptor fan. Although this pick may have been greeted with hostility and disappointment (I’m included in that group), you can be assured that Jonas Valanciunas is everything Bargnani is not.

He’s a very strong rebounder, good defender and intense competitor who plays solely around the rim. The Raptors are ranked here because as every NBA analyst has pointed out, Jonas has strong potential to end up being the best player of this draft class.

The Raptors were lucky in regards to his contract situation which caused him to slip past Cleveland twice, Utah, and Minnesota were all looking for talented prospects that could play in the NBA right now. With Colangelo’s situation, one might expect him to do the same but he deserves major respect for simply doing the right thing for the teams future, regardless of whether he’ll be around to see the benefits. If Toronto had any other picks or made any trades, they may be the undisputed draft winners. Regardless, for the third year in a row, Colangelo has maximized the value of the team's pick.

CarlWinslow

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
WTF is going on? Why am I hearing left and right that Jaundice may have actually been a good pick?????? I DON'T GET IT!

subliminal racism. all these white analysts are subconciously cheering the white race . Most raptor fans don't realize but are siding with these racist analysts when this say this is a good pick

2 years from now when this guy arrives Ed davis willl be swatting the piss out of shots leaving vajayay on the bench(assuming casey is still playing bargnani hopes of the nowitski call)

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Valanciunas Impresses Against USA Under-19 Team
Jun 29, 2011 4:02 PM EDT

Jonas Valanciunas was the best player on the floor as Lithuania humiliated the United States 108-75 in a tuneup for the FIBA under-19 championship, which gets underway on Thursday in Latvia.

The fifth overall selection by the Raptors imposed his will on the smaller Americans, compiling a game-high 23 points and 11 rebounds, along with two blocks and a steal.

Valanciunas is rail-thin and must pack on 15-25 pounds before he can compete effectively in the NBA, but against those his own age, he has consistently dominated.

Previously, Valanciunas was named MVP of FIBA’s under-18 and under-16 tournaments.
Via Ryan Wolstat/Toronto Sun

Read more: Valanciunas Impresses Against USA Under 19 Team - RealGM Wiretap

Fuck yeah! Jaundice is killing the competition!

CarlWinslow

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Valanciunas Impresses Against USA Under-19 Team
Jun 29, 2011 4:02 PM EDT

Jonas Valanciunas was the best player on the floor as Lithuania humiliated the United States 108-75 in a tuneup for the FIBA under-19 championship, which gets underway on Thursday in Latvia.

The fifth overall selection by the Raptors imposed his will on the smaller Americans, compiling a game-high 23 points and 11 rebounds, along with two blocks and a steal.

Valanciunas is rail-thin and must pack on 15-25 pounds before he can compete effectively in the NBA, but against those his own age, he has consistently dominated.

Previously, Valanciunas was named MVP of FIBA’s under-18 and under-16 tournaments.
Via Ryan Wolstat/Toronto Sun

Read more: Valanciunas Impresses Against USA Under 19 Team - RealGM Wiretap

Fuck yeah! Jaundice is killing the competition!

he's cheating, he's not under 19. fire colangelo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Draft Express: Lithuania U19 Team Would Be NCAA National Champs
Jul 09, 2011 1:14 PM EDT

The Lithuanian under-19 national team has been turning heads all week in the FIBA U-19 World Championships in Latvia. Led by Toronto Raptors draft pick Jonas Valanciunas, they made quick work of the Russian team that shocked the US a few days before.

At the end of the first half, Lithuania was up 53-26, getting 15 points and 9 rebounds from their star center.

When asked about how they would fare in the NCAA, Jonathan Givony of Draft Express, one of the leading draft-evaluation sites on the internet, said they would be the best team in the country.
Via Draft Express

Read more: Draft Express Lithuania U19 Team Would Be NCAA National Champs - RealGM Wiretap

CarlWinslow

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
god i hope this doesn't turn out to be a good pick, god damn euro's

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
god i hope this doesn't turn out to be a good pick, god damn euro's

We Raps fans are sure being spoonfed that this dude is actually a her pick...and it's looking more and more likely that next season is dunzo. Either Colangelo is going down in the books as a genius for this move or he just lucked the fuck out

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Lithuania Claims Gold, Valanciunas Wins Tournament MVP
Jul 10, 2011 8:52 PM EDT

Raptors lottery pick Jonas Valanciunas carried Lithuania over Serbia 85-67 at the FIBA U19 World Championships in Latvia, scoring 36 points, adding eight rebounds, three blocks and three steals.

Valanciunas has now led his country to the gold medal at the European U16 and U18 tournaments and now, the world U19, earning tournament MVP each time, believed to be an unprecedented feat.

He led this event in scoring (23 per game), rebounding (13.9), blocks (3.2), double-doubles (seven in nine games for 7-2 Lithuania) and was second in field goal percentage to Canada’s Dyshawn Pierre.

Read more: Lithuania Claims Gold Valanciunas Wins Tournament MVP - RealGM Wiretap

froman77

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Man this is sweet. I'm getting pissed that he won't be on the team next year.

Winning all these junior tournaments is important too. He's getting reps in high pressure games, and clearly he is a winner as he is just destroying everything in his path.

I need to get a Jaundice Vajayjay jersey ASAP