• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Aleksei Morozov: I don't see Kovalchuk anywhere but NHL

MM213

Медведей не кормить
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
source
Soviet Sport published an interview with ex-Penguin Aleksei Morozov. The interview is fairly long, I'll translate only beginning.

SS: Our conversation started with discussing the summer's most popular soap opera - signing Ilya Kovalchuk by New Jersey. Ilya is Morozov's close friend, no wonder Aleksei closely follows the news from across the ocean

AM: NHL got really stubborn, I'm very surprised by it. I talked to Ilya, he wants to play only in NHL. I think, New Jersey is an ideal team for him. A very consistent team, always a Cup contender. He likes it there and team is interested in him.

SS: What about SKA, isn't it an option?

AM: Personally, right now I only see him [playing] in NHL. He can always return home later. Ilya is only 27. I'm sure he'll keep scoring 35-40 goals a season when he is 35.

SS: You returned to Russia at 27, did you anticipate you'll never return to NHL?

AM: Not at all. I thought I'll play home for a year then will return to Pittsburgh. But after a year in AK Bars I realized it wasn't worth it. In Russia they had more trust in me, gave me more playing time, I kept progressing. It's different with Ilya - he is already a star in NHL. I wasn't very good there.

SS: During 6 years with AK Bars you won 3 national and 2 World championships. You never wanted a new challenge, opportunity to play for other team?

AM: Why? I'm comfortable in Kazan. New challenge? I have plenty... For example, I scored 30+ goals for 3 seasons in a row, but couldn't do it last year. I want to do it again, isn't it a challenge?

SS: Are you impressed by Hasek's move to Spartak? He was looking for a motivation, at 45 he decided to play in a totally unknown to him league.

AM: I am very impressed by Hasek. It was very brave on his part. When I first heard that Dominator is going to Russia I was laughing: "Right, who's next - Gretzky?" But then Hasek really came and I was very curious: how is he at 45 - still invincible or got older?

SS: Why do veterans like Fedorov, Chelios, Hasek, Demitra, Zhitnik, Gonchar are playing longer, still playing in NHL and KHL? Are they unique?

AM: It has nothing to do with uniqueness. Remember how it was before? Endless training camp, players were living at team bases. At 35 you would get fed up with hockey. You'd want to spend more time with family, live normal life. Now coaches are more human: nobody locks you at the base anymore, we are using modern training and recovery approach. Before we used to work out all 3 summer months, now - only 40 days. They treat us as humans, as professionals. That's why we are able to play at 40 years old and even longer

Jimmy_the_Tongue

Walks Hard
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At least Morozov admits that he was pretty much worthless in the NHL....a very big disappointment to a lot of Penguin fans, like me, who had high expectations for that kid...

MM213

Медведей не кормить
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
At least Morozov admits that he was pretty much worthless in the NHL....a very big disappointment to a lot of Penguin fans, like me, who had high expectations for that kid...
Comparing to most players on that team he was OK.
I bet Brodeur was very happy when Morozov decided to go home :)

Jimmy_the_Tongue

Walks Hard
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Comparing to most players on that team he was OK.
I bet Brodeur was very happy when Morozov decided to go home :)

Compared to other players on the Pens at that time...yes...I agree....but none of them had the pedigree that Morozov did....just the pure talent that he never could display on a consistant basis....I really rooted for the kid....

MM213

Медведей не кормить
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Compared to other players on the Pens at that time...yes...I agree....but none of them had the pedigree that Morozov did....just the pure talent that he never could display on a consistant basis....I really rooted for the kid....
He was still too young when Lemieux, Jagr, Kovalev, Nedved and Straka were still there.
Then he got injured for almoust entire season.
In pre-lockout season he was arguably the best on that sorry team.
Then lockout came, he went to AK Bars and never looked back.
I haven't seen him much since then, but from what I've heard and read he matured quite well: captain of his team, captain of Russian national team, perennial top 10 scorer.

SLY

Mr. Knowitall
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This whole thing is ridiculous. I hate the Devils much, much, much more now. They're turning this shit into WWE style crap with all the drama. Pay the fucking guy, and stop trying to circumvent the cap. I really hope the NHL smacks this one down and forces the Garden State Fairies to pay him, or let him walk.