• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Aldon Smith Agrees to Plea Deal

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I called the NRA mouth breathers dawg, not you. I know you're smarter than that, that's why I say you should distance yourself from it and rise above it.

This is the problem Sick: you're not actually addressing anything. You're pulling anecdotes out of your butt and you don't have an actual basis for your arguments. You're starting from a shitcon "Hurr durr, our guns, herp derp" point of view and letting your weird political bias color any sort of rational thought.

And like I said, that borderline scary conservativism coupled with a love of musical theater is just weird to me. But I dig it brother, keep on keeping on. It's what makes you the loveable kook that you are.

Anyway, it's neither here not there but reading the second amendment for what it actually is has nothing to do with being a liberal. It just means you can read and have a brain capable of thought.

For the record, my father is quite conservative (though frankly, by today's standards he might be considered moderate or even liberal) and he loves musical theater.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, it's not semantics.

Technically, it's not semantics. Semantics is [definition from Webster's Dictionary]. What he's talking about is [word commonly mistaken as a synonym to semantics that basically means the same thing but technically different].

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
It's true that young men are by far the most likely to shoot someone. But the widespread availability of guns in this country makes it easy to do so. Do you honestly think gun crime would increase if, for instance, we undertook the type of serious gun reform that Australia did in the 1990s?

Didn't see this earlier. Australia is the poster child as to why gun-control causes more crime (along with the UK). In the 12 months following the gun confiscation armed robberies skyrocketed 44%. After 2 years it was up 85%. 85 damn percent! That was the immediate effect of gun bans.

Now almost 20 years later, the armed robbery rate is finally back to around where it was before the ban (after peaking in 2001), but the longer the timeline goes the more variables come into play. So I did a little research. The state with the most lax gun laws in the US is Utah. Look what happened to crime rates in Utah from 1997 to 2012:

Utah:

Violent Crime down 38.39%
Murder down 27.88%
r*pe down 30.39%
Robberies Down 43.66%
Aggravated Assault down 38.59%
Burglary Down 50.91%
Larceny down 46.18%

There's been essentially no change in Utah's gun laws since the 90's. Crime has had a downward long-term trend over the last 20 years in both the US and Australia. But the immediate effect of that gun bad was the empowerment of criminals and a HUGE jump in a bunch of various crimes like armed robbery, home invasions, r*pe, murders where a gun was present and so on.

These regulations don't cause all crimes to go up, but it does make it easier for certain crimes like these to be committed.

Last edited by a moderator:

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I made a small comment about CA gun laws and it become an it turned into a large gun control debate. I know here in CA, the legislature made those mean looking guns Aldon bought in AZ illegal. The CA legislature this past go around passed a bunch of gun control measures some so ridiculous that even Democrat Governor Jerry Brown vetoed over half of them

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
I made a small comment about CA gun laws and it become an it turned into a large gun control debate. I know here in CA, the legislature made those mean looking guns Aldon bought in AZ illegal. The CA legislature this past go around passed a bunch of gun control measures some so ridiculous that even Democrat Governor Jerry Brown vetoed over half of them

A lot of those laws have to do with the cosmetic aspects of guns. Gotta save the public from those deadly grips guns have. :what: If someone made a gun that looked like a bong, I'm sure those legislators in Commufornia woud have no problem with it.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Didn't see this earlier. Australia is the poster child as to why gun-control causes more crime (along with the UK). In the 12 months following the gun confiscation armed robberies skyrocketed 44%. After 2 years it was up 85%. 85 damn percent! That was the immediate effect of gun bans.

Now almost 20 years later, the armed robbery rate is finally back to around where it was before the ban (after peaking in 2001), but the longer the timeline goes the more variables come into play. So I did a little research. The state with the most lax gun laws in the US is Utah. Look what happened to crime rates in Utah from 1997 to 2012:

Utah:

Violent Crime down 38.39%
Murder down 27.88%
r*pe down 30.39%
Robberies Down 43.66%
Aggravated Assault down 38.59%
Burglary Down 50.91%
Larceny down 46.18%

There's been essentially no change in Utah's gun laws since the 90's. Crime has had a downward long-term trend over the last 20 years in both the US and Australia. But the immediate effect of that gun bad was the empowerment of criminals and a HUGE jump in a bunch of various crimes like armed robbery, home invasions, r*pe, murders where a gun was present and so on.

These regulations don't cause all crimes to go up, but it does make it easier for certain crimes like these to be committed.

sorry but I fail to believe robbers, thiefs, or otherwise home intruders decide they're not going to do a crime because they think the homeowner has a gun. these crimes will happen because of the individual character, not who has guns. these 'hardened' guys will continue to do what they do.

for me, it seems like there are more accidental shootings by children, and teenagers going bezerk (school shootings), than a home owner stopping a robber. there are more incidents of gang bangers doing drive-bys, over someone protecting their property or saved their family.

then there is the mentally unstable who're able to find their parents guns. we've had more than few of these incidents, where they randomly go out and start shooting.

this is a tough subject but the way it is now, more and more people are getting guns. this availability - whether to your kid or your neighbors - is more prevalent/dangerous than home intruders. it is more dangerous because most home robbers don't intend to shoot the homeowner.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A lot of those laws have to do with the cosmetic aspects of guns. Gotta save the public from those deadly grips guns have. :what: If someone made a gun that looked like a bong, I'm sure those legislators in Commufornia woud have no problem with it.

LOL!!! All you have to do is look at who makes up the CA legislature and it is no surprise. That sad part is I expect the next governor of California to be alot worse than Jerry Brown.

Rvnight18

True story
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
sorry but I fail to believe robbers, thiefs, or otherwise home intruders decide they're not going to do a crime because they think the homeowner has a gun. these crimes will happen because of the individual character, not who has guns. these 'hardened' guys will continue to do what they do.

for me, it seems like there are more accidental shootings by children, and teenagers going bezerk (school shootings), than a home owner stopping a robber. there are more incidents of gang bangers doing drive-bys, over someone protecting their property or saved their family.

then there is the mentally unstable who're able to find their parents guns. we've had more than few of these incidents, where they randomly go out and start shooting.

this is a tough subject but the way it is now, more and more people are getting guns. this availability - whether to your kid or your neighbors - is more prevalent/dangerous than home intruders. it is more dangerous because most home robbers don't intend to shoot the homeowner.

You're a fool if you think thieves, rapists, and such don't target the weak.

Rvnight18

True story
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2

Ohh man thanks for letting me know what their intent is! How about this- I have several guns, will continue to have guns, because it is up to me to decide how I want to protect my family. As in I actually want to protect them, so I have fire arms. I'm not going to off your "their intent is just to steal your shit, but not hurt you" to help me sleep at night and keep my family safe.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00

And gun control legislation (the kind this country has enacted and the kind Australia has enacted) stops absolutely none of those things. It increases some of them though.

As far as your beliefs about robbers and thieves go:

"Professors James D. Wright and Peter Rossi surveyed 2,000 felons incarcerated in state prisons across the United States. Wright and Rossi reported that 34% of the felons said they personally had been "scared off, shot at, wounded, or captured by an armed victim"; 69% said that they knew at least one other criminal who had also; 34% said that when thinking about committing a crime they either "often" or "regularly" worried that they "[m]ight get shot at by the victim"; and 57% agreed with the statement, "Most criminals are more worried about meeting an armed victim than they are about running into the police." James D. Wright & Peter H. Rossi, Armed and Considered Dangerous: A Survey of Felons and Their Firearms [1986]. See Guns and Public Health: Epidemic of Violence or Pandemic of Propaganda? by Don B. Kates, et. al. Originally published as 61 Tenn. L. Rev. 513-596 [1994]."

More evidence that people are the problem and not guns:

Baltimore PD reported in 2007 that 93% of murder suspects, and 91% of murder VICTIMS had felony records. Victims averaged over 13 convictions each.

...but then again, talking about individual humans beings responsible for things goes against the entire premise of the kinds of nanny-state people who want gun control.

Rvnight18

True story
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
And gun control legislation (the kind this country has enacted and the kind Australia has enacted) stops absolutely none of those things. It increases some of them though.

As far as your misguided beliefs about robbers and thieves go:

"Professors James D. Wright and Peter Rossi surveyed 2,000 felons incarcerated in state prisons across the United States. Wright and Rossi reported that 34% of the felons said they personally had been "scared off, shot at, wounded, or captured by an armed victim"; 69% said that they knew at least one other criminal who had also; 34% said that when thinking about committing a crime they either "often" or "regularly" worried that they "[m]ight get shot at by the victim"; and 57% agreed with the statement, "Most criminals are more worried about meeting an armed victim than they are about running into the police." James D. Wright & Peter H. Rossi, Armed and Considered Dangerous: A Survey of Felons and Their Firearms [1986]. See Guns and Public Health: Epidemic of Violence or Pandemic of Propaganda? by Don B. Kates, et. al. Originally published as 61 Tenn. L. Rev. 513-596 [1994]."

More evidence that people are the problem and not guns:

Baltimore PD reported in 2007 that 93% of murder suspects, and 91% of murder VICTIMS had felony records. Victims averaged over 13 convictions each.

...but then again, talking about individual humans beings responsible for things goes against the entire premise of the kinds of nanny-state people who want gun control.

How absurd of an argument is " they don't worry about whether the home owner has weapons".... :L

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
How absurd of an argument is " they don't worry about whether the home owner has weapons".... :L

Well I don't think it's "absurd." It's just a naïve, uninformed understanding of people who commit robberies. Some people think of them as caricatures because they've seen too many movies.

People don't just randomly go out at night saying, "I'm gonna rob me some houses. I think I'll go... that way! And look for a nice-lookin' house to rob. Derp!" As hard as it is for some people to believe, they actually think these things through. Not because they're smart but because they don't want to get arrested or shot. It doesn't take a genius to identify a weak target when trying to rob someone.

Why do you think women who are alone get mugged more often than anyone else? In fact, if gun-control people (the ones who make the laws not the voters) were honest, they would automatically give all women an exception to the limitations on conceal-carry because practically none out of none women commit gun crimes.

Rvnight18

True story
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Well I don't think it's "absurd." It's just a naïve, uninformed understanding of people who commit robberies. Some people think of them as caricatures because they've seen too many movies.

People don't just randomly go out at night saying, "I'm gonna rob me some houses. I think I'll go... that way! And look for a nice-lookin' house to rob. Derp!" As hard as it is for some people to believe, they actually think these things through. Not because they're smart but because they don't want to get arrested or shot. It doesn't take a genius to identify a weak target when trying to rob someone.

Why do you think women who are alone get mugged more often than anyone else? In fact, if gun-control people (the ones who make the laws not the voters) were honest, they would automatically give all women an exception to the limitations on conceal-carry because practically none out of none women commit gun crimes.

For some reason when I read that, I read that in Mitch Hedberg's voice...

whysies

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's really hard to take such declarative statements seriously when you numb nuts don't even know the difference between robbery and burglary.

Stop herp derping it my bros. I know you're both better than that.

sjballer03

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

This is the most idiotic thing I've read in awhile.

DoobieKeebler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know I argued with Sick about whether or not I'm comfortable with shooting someone who breaks in, but I have no problem with people actually owning guns in case they need to use one. I also understand that could be construed as a somewhat hypocritical stance.

I'd probably support more stringent gun laws if I couldn't make 2 calls, be hooked up with some Triads, and find myself an illegal AK smuggled through the ports.