• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Al Golden to Tennessee

OregonDucks

Oregon Is Faster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am surprised it is taking Tennessee this long to find someone. Same with Arkansas.

Volbound1700

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I doubt he ever seriously considered it.

There's just no way a coach that has pro jobs available to him is going to take a collegiate one. Maybe once he's done coaching at the NFL level, but not before then.

I guess I am just one of those minority of people that does not think NFL Head Coaching Job is an upgrade from college. Name one NFL coach that is revered like Bear Bryant, Bobby Bowden, Barry Switzer, Woody Hayes, etc. In College you become legends, in NFL you last 4-5 years before they fire you.

If I had to choose between the Eagles (a team that is about to fire a coach that took them to a Superbowl a few years ago) or Tennessee, I would go with the Vols. Especially since nearly every high school kid in the area has stated they would commit to the Vols if Gruden came. Plus it is a chance to win in the hardest league in the nation and battle one of the best coaches all-time (Nick Saban) every year.

Also last time I checked, NFL teams don't put 100k fans in their stadiums.

Volbound1700

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Gruden goes on to coach in NFL, he may win something but when he retires, gets fired, etc. no one will remember him just like they won't remember Tony Dungy or Bill Cowher.

If he goes to Tennessee and wins National Titles, he will have streets named after him and will be a legend in Knoxville and in the SEC for the rest of his life. Steve Spurrier will be remembered longer than Tony Dungy or Bill Cowher. You can say this about many schools.

That is just the facts. People are idiots that say NFL is a better job then college. Plus college coaches are catching up to NFL coaches in salary.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Difference between coaching NFL and College is you have to babysit college kids.

That's what Barry Switzer said anyway.

KansasSooner

Aces & eights
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess I am just one of those minority of people that does not think NFL Head Coaching Job is an upgrade from college. Name one NFL coach that is revered like Bear Bryant, Bobby Bowden, Barry Switzer, Woody Hayes, etc. In College you become legends, in NFL you last 4-5 years before they fire you.

If I had to choose between the Eagles (a team that is about to fire a coach that took them to a Superbowl a few years ago) or Tennessee, I would go with the Vols. Especially since nearly every high school kid in the area has stated they would commit to the Vols if Gruden came. Plus it is a chance to win in the hardest league in the nation and battle one of the best coaches all-time (Nick Saban) every year.

Also last time I checked, NFL teams don't put 100k fans in their stadiums.

Vince Lombardi and Tom Landry :D

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Gruden goes on to coach in NFL, he may win something but when he retires, gets fired, etc. no one will remember him just like they won't remember Tony Dungy or Bill Cowher.

If he goes to Tennessee and wins National Titles, he will have streets named after him and will be a legend in Knoxville and in the SEC for the rest of his life. Steve Spurrier will be remembered longer than Tony Dungy or Bill Cowher. You can say this about many schools.

That is just the facts. People are idiots that say NFL is a better job then college. Plus college coaches are catching up to NFL coaches in salary.

This is about one of the most homerific, moronic posts ever written on this board.

NFL jobs are better than college jobs by a MILE, and it's not close. Let's start with the obvious - NFL coaches on average make more money. They don't have to deal with the NCAA, their ridiculous rules, or recruiting. You are coaching the best athletes in the WORLD at their craft, not a bunch of kids. And if they fail.....guess what? They can always come coach COLLEGE.

If you fail as a coach in college, you have pretty much no options. You can be a coordinator for some other school, or go to a lower level.......

Being revered? Are you serious? Tom Landry isn't revered? Mike Ditka isn't revered? Bill Parcells, Bill Belichek, Jimmy Johnson, Bill Walsh, Don Shula, Chuck Knoll, Lombardi........

Seriously man, get a clue here

Volbound1700

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is about one of the most homerific, moronic posts ever written on this board.

NFL jobs are better than college jobs by a MILE, and it's not close. Let's start with the obvious - NFL coaches on average make more money. They don't have to deal with the NCAA, their ridiculous rules, or recruiting. You are coaching the best athletes in the WORLD at their craft, not a bunch of kids. And if they fail.....guess what? They can always come coach COLLEGE.

If you fail as a coach in college, you have pretty much no options. You can be a coordinator for some other school, or go to a lower level.......

Being revered? Are you serious? Tom Landry isn't revered? Mike Ditka isn't revered? Bill Parcells, Bill Belichek, Jimmy Johnson, Bill Walsh, Don Shula, Chuck Knoll, Lombardi........

Seriously man, get a clue here

It you did the Stewart Mandrell test, I would say more people know Bear Bryant than any of those names. Lombardi maybe the only one.

Also NFL Coaches get fired even if they win Superbowls (See Jon Gruden). The competition is tougher because there is no Western Carolina or mid-majors to schedule. College teams have bigger stadiums.

MarkOU

License to Thrill
Hoopla Cash
$ 287.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LoL at you Switzer haters.

Best coach ever.

"People don't know what it means to be champions. Oklahoma invented it." -Barry Swizter

MarkOU

License to Thrill
Hoopla Cash
$ 287.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Best coach ever.

"It never changes. Football is a game of repetition, mental and physical. You may try to articulate it a little different, but it's the same thing: Get better players, make fewer mistakes, and drill the fundamentals into your players' heads. The rest of it is a joke. Teams aren't winning because of what they had for breakfast or what some coach said in the locker room.” -Barry Swizter

MarkOU

License to Thrill
Hoopla Cash
$ 287.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Barry Switzer showed up in a full length mink coat to recruit Brian Bozworth at his high school.

Best....Coach....ever!

MarkOU

License to Thrill
Hoopla Cash
$ 287.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Barry Switzer has 3 national championships, and a Super Bowl ring.

Best coach ever?

Yup

USCDoom

Death On Black Wings
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Gotta disagree with you there. Dungy will always be remembered and is as revered a coach as any regardless of where they coached.

MarkOU

License to Thrill
Hoopla Cash
$ 287.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did I mention he is also an acomplished author?

Best coach ever.

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It you did the Stewart Mandrell test, I would say more people know Bear Bryant than any of those names. Lombardi maybe the only one.

Also NFL Coaches get fired even if they win Superbowls (See Jon Gruden). The competition is tougher because there is no Western Carolina or mid-majors to schedule. College teams have bigger stadiums.

Disagree. More people IN ALABAMA know Bear Bryant, because they have no pro teams in any sport, and therefore any time Bama is winning it means more.

And honestly, that doesn't really matter, especially to a coach looking for a job. You don't evaluate a job based on how revered you MIGHT end up one day if you put in a HOF worthy performance.

NFL coaches get fired......and so do collegiate ones. Maybe you missed Chizik just getting canned after winning a NC 2 years ago, no? How about Embree getting canned at CU after taking over a crap team and only bringing in ONE recruiting class?

Guess what? If you do a bad job, you will get fired, no matter WHERE you coach.

I'm having a real hard time here trying to see your point. You are basically saying coaches worth their salt should be happy coaching at a lower level instead of trying to win in the greatest league in the world. Good to know Tennessee fans want someone that's settled for mediocrity.

Volbound1700

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't want Al Golden because I was afraid he would get us in NCAA trouble. Didn't the recent NCAA trouble at Miami happen under his watch? Other than that, I guess he would have been a good coach.

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't want Al Golden because I was afraid he would get us in NCAA trouble. Didn't the recent NCAA trouble at Miami happen under his watch? Other than that, I guess he would have been a good coach.

No, he inherited those issues. The scandal hit a few months after he took the job. The violations in question occurred over the course of several years and probably several coaches. Golden wasn't involved in that.