• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Abbotsford AHL team in Heat

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
It just makes so much sense, Canucks fans don't want to watch Flames prospects...

Hell, Flames fans don't want to watch Flames prospects :D

/ baertschi notwithstanding

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
it made zero sense from the beginning having that teams farm in our market.

City of abbotsford thought if "they built it, they will come"

Problem was canucks were locked into a great relationship in winnipeg

Now after struggling for 3 years and costing the taxpayer so much money the city feels forced to sell the arena and land

And aquilini swoops in to buy a pretty good investment property (huge upscale mall being built across the freeway and next to the automall) at a reduced rate

Shrewd move by acquilini (hes pretty good at taking advantage of others misfortune - ie the falls golf course)

Bizzle McDizzle

all of your teams suck
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Went to a Durham Bulls game last month and they were doing something similar
Dogs everywhere

it was... weird

blindbaby

i want to bang on the drum all day
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So $15 for me and $5 for the 'ol lady; we're so there!

blindbaby

i want to bang on the drum all day
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jstew beat me to the punch I see, upon further review. ^

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How about moving the Heat to Kelowna and Prospera Place?!? Plenty of Calgarians spend time there and it's a nice arena (I guess the biggest issue would be if people would support both a WHL and AHL team in that market). WHL commissioner Ron Robison probably wouldn't like it.

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How about moving the Heat to Kelowna and Prospera Place?!? Plenty of Calgarians spend time there and it's a nice arena (I guess the biggest issue would be if people would support both a WHL and AHL team in that market). WHL commissioner Ron Robison probably wouldn't like it.

i dont really think Kelowna is a big winter destination for Albertans ... also travel would probably be kinda tough in and out of that airport

i just look at it anecdotally in my inlaws condo tower underground parking that has alot of rental properties:

summer months - parking full with every second monster truck/suv having alberta plates
winter months - empty ... virtually all BC plates, except for the alberta cars parked for the winter, gathering a layer of dust

i dont really see it happening :noidea:

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
there is not one place in alberta they can go to. I wonder what Montana is like for hockey fans :D

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
there is not one place in alberta they can go to. I wonder what Montana is like for hockey fans :D

Lethbridge could use a hockey team (the Hurricanes have been terribad the last several years).

/Tear down both the Saddledome and Corral in Stampede Park and build two new arenas (one for the NHL/AHL team, one for the WHL Hitmen).

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lethbridge could use a hockey team (the Hurricanes have been terribad the last several years).

/Tear down both the Saddledome and Corral in Stampede Park and build two new arenas (one for the NHL/AHL team, one for the WHL Hitmen).

do you think CAlgary would support Flames, Heat and hitmen? thats alot to ask Vancouver has a big enough city and abbotsford wouldn't dent the Canucks or Giants. even though the Hurricanes have been bad how has their support been?

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

do you think CAlgary would support Flames, Heat and hitmen? thats alot to ask Vancouver has a big enough city and abbotsford wouldn't dent the Canucks or Giants. even though the Hurricanes have been bad how has their support been?

i dont know about new facilities for calgary but i think the economies of scale involved in having every team owned under the same umbrella/playing in the same arena would be beneficial

just think of the cross promotional opportunities and cross selling of tickets they can do

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I don't think it will happen, but it's a better suggestion than Fort MacMurray (talk about a travel nightmare).

/Hurricanes drew about 3500 fans on average last season, not bad, but for a city that size, not great.

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think it will happen, but it's a better suggestion than Fort MacMurray (talk about a travel nightmare).

/Hurricanes drew about 3500 fans on average last season, not bad, but for a city that size, not great.

I dont think you can risk the hurricane franchise. its been there too long.

fort macmurray would probably need chicken wire around the arena to prevent bottles being thrown.

/rawhide