• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

A Realistic Look at the 2014 Season

td2play

Gold Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Okay fellow Sooners, I have bought the hype in the past with teams that were supposed to be the ones to bring home number 8 and I doing my best not to do it this season. Wanted to see what everyone's truly objective thoughts are on this upcoming season and team. I am going to take a shot at it first. Would be really interested to see if I am way off base or in the mainstream here.

1. I think too much is being made of one game from last season. The Sugar Bowl was a great unexpected victory but if I would have polled the Sooner faithful before this game I think most of them would have reluctantly bet the house on Bama. I remember a game against Baylor that looked like a JV squad playing. Also remember a game against Texas where the offense was horrible and the defense couldn't stop the run not to mention the coaches refusing to try something different once it was clear Texas was on to our game. And think about this for a minute, Bama played right into our hands as far as game planning goes. The Sooners couldn't stop Bama running the ball or very rarely did but Bama passed the ball a lot more in that game than they had all season. The Sooners took the lead in the game and force a lot of throwing by Bama but I think they panicked and got out of character. If they just lined up and ran the ball for the entire second half I honestly think they would have won that game. That Henry kid they have is a beast.

2. Trevor Knight has had exactly one good "passing" game as starting QB. I will give it to the kid he lived up to his potential against Bama and looked every bit the star we hoped he would be. But I watched the kid play all season and I know for a fact without Bell we don't beat ND or OSU. Some will say the kid was just getting his feel for the speed of the game and getting used to playing at the Div I level. I would counter with he looked like the same inaccurate kid in the spring game this season as he did last season.

3. Not to be entirely pessimistic, the big uglies on both sides of the ball look really good going into this seaons. Getting Jordan Phillips back at NT will help out a lot and having some depth at that position is invaluable.

4. I don't like the schedule this season because we play at Tech and Iowa State late in the seaon. Not to mention the early part of the schedule with trips to WVU, TCU, and the Cotton Bowl in consecutive weeks. If they make it through that stretch and over confident team could find trouble on the road at ISU or Tech for sure. This doesn't even consider the fact the Tenn is coming in the second week. I know Tenn has been down but they have talent.

Maybe I am just being a little skeptical because I have seen this before. Teams not living up to expectations. Teams in 2003, 2008, and wasn't the team in 2011 preseason #1? I think the potential for a really special season is there. Rivals like Texas having a new coach and should take a step back for at least next season. The Baylor game is in Norman and the Sooner owe them big time from last season. There are a lot of positives like the defense starting to round into what Mike wants them to be and getting after the QB. The potential for the offense is unlimited with Trevor and the young RB's like Ford, Mixon, and Ross. I would love nothing more than this to be a magical season that brings number 8 back to Norman. What do you think? I know I am ready for some Sooner football to begin! Boomer Sooner!!!

KansasSooner

Aces & eights
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The jury is still out on Knight in my opinion. One game and all of a sudden he's greater than great...don't think so. Hopefully Stoops is keeping Bell tuned up just in case. If nothing else Bell has been the guy to turn to, for Landry and Knight.

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Knight will have to duplicate that Sugar Bowl performance before I'm a true believer.
I think our receiving corp stinks. They need to improve big time; find the open spots, create separation, etc. It's been lacking.

The defense has been improving but it wont win any championships without offensive help, and I mean a lot of it.

Bob took a 4 year vacation after the 2008 season, but after seeing the last 3 games of last season, he might just have taken up the profession again. I hope so. Nothing great is going to happen until he's in it full time.

td2play

Gold Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The other question I have about Knight is his durability. His style leads to taking hits. He was dinged up twice last year. Heck even Bell got knocked out of a game. Running QB is a good thing until they start taking shots.

sooner78wakeboard

Sooner Born, Sooner Bred
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The other question I have about Knight is his durability. His style leads to taking hits. He was dinged up twice last year. Heck even Bell got knocked out of a game. Running QB is a good thing until they start taking shots.

I have the same concern as well. This is were we need to see him utilize his arm and receivers rather than take off running. The times he got injured I wasn't sure what kind of game plan they had for him.

Huepel seemed to be trying to figure out how to use a dual threat QB rather than a drop back QB. In addition to Knight learning what kind of system they were trying to run and not so much just take off running. Manzeil was talented taking off running because he could use his receivers and the defense had to acknowledge his arm.

By the end of the season Huepel seemed to step up his coaching in that feeling comfortable with his offense and the players running it. The OSU game and the Bama game were a great display of offense. The play calling was amazing, and it showed confidence. Kind of like a game of chess, when you know you have the ability to beat the guy across the table.

td2play

Gold Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would argue (and did at the time too) that both losses last season where squarely on the offense. The defense in the Baylor game kept the Sooners close for a half even though the offense couldn't figure out what to do. The defense also only gave up a net of like 16 points to Texas (defense scored one of the touchdowns). Offensive play calling and game planning has been the key. To your point Wakeboard if Josh can step up his game in those situations where what he initially tries doesn't work and not fall back into Stoop's favorite line (the players didn't execute) then next season could be special. The ability to adjust to what the other guy is doing is something we have been lacking for a while now.

sooner78wakeboard

Sooner Born, Sooner Bred
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would argue (and did at the time too) that both losses last season where squarely on the offense. The defense in the Baylor game kept the Sooners close for a half even though the offense couldn't figure out what to do. The defense also only gave up a net of like 16 points to Texas (defense scored one of the touchdowns). Offensive play calling and game planning has been the key. To your point Wakeboard if Josh can step up his game in those situations where what he initially tries doesn't work and not fall back into Stoop's favorite line (the players didn't execute) then next season could be special. The ability to adjust to what the other guy is doing is something we have been lacking for a while now.

I agree with you 100% there. I remember after the Baylor game you could tell Stoops was really pissed about how bad the offense had got. Those offenses were terrible. It seemed like Josh was still trying to implement a Sam Bradford/Landry Jones type offense for a good portion of the season but Trevor Knight, Kendall Thompson and even Blake Bell weren't that kind of Quarterback.

MarkOU

License to Thrill
Hoopla Cash
$ 287.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Texas and @ Lubbock are the only two that realistically will challenge a healthy OU. This is a year lined up for winning the BIG XII and with a little luck 12-0.

Aug. 30 - Louisiana Tech - W
Sep. 13 - Tennessee - W
Sep. 20 - at Tulsa - W
Sep. 27 - at West Virginia - W
Oct. 4 - at TCU - W
Oct. 11 - vs. Texas @Dallas, TX - Toss Up
Oct. 18 - Kansas State - W
Nov. 1 - at Iowa State - W
Nov. 8 - Baylor - W
Nov. 15 - at Texas Tech - Toss Up
Nov. 22 - Kansas - W
Dec. 6 - Oklahoma State - W

td2play

Gold Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Texas and @ Lubbock are the only two that realistically will challenge a healthy OU. This is a year lined up for winning the BIG XII and with a little luck 12-0.

Aug. 30 - Louisiana Tech - W
Sep. 13 - Tennessee - W
Sep. 20 - at Tulsa - W
Sep. 27 - at West Virginia - W
Oct. 4 - at TCU - W
Oct. 11 - vs. Texas @Dallas, TX - Toss Up
Oct. 18 - Kansas State - W
Nov. 1 - at Iowa State - W
Nov. 8 - Baylor - W
Nov. 15 - at Texas Tech - Toss Up
Nov. 22 - Kansas - W
Dec. 6 - Oklahoma State - W

At WVU doesn't scare you? Especially after they upset Bama to open the season. I'm less worried about Texas because they are still going to have struggles on offense. Strong is a defensive guy. I agree with you on the trip to Lubbock. We haven't had much luck out there.

MarkOU

License to Thrill
Hoopla Cash
$ 287.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At WVU doesn't scare you? Especially after they upset Bama to open the season. I'm less worried about Texas because they are still going to have struggles on offense. Strong is a defensive guy. I agree with you on the trip to Lubbock. We haven't had much luck out there.

I don't think WVU will be very good and while I'll be pulling for them vs Bama I don't see them evening making it a game, but I guess we shall see.

OUs offensive and defensive lines should be very good this year and that usually leads to success.

occupant

Resident Inhabitant and nerve striker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,345.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Heupel and the offensive staff.

That's the key here. The defense is going to keep us in every game, even more so than last year... but can't carry the whole game.

Game planning and dictating tempo will be key. You have to give the QB some creative license in the offense in regards to timing of play if nothing else. When the play caller sits back on their heels every offensive play trying to decipher what the defense is showing them, THEN making a decision which has to make it's way onto the field, you're opening yourself up to clock issues, being fed false looks etc.

We have the tools and firepower to make defenses respond to US, not vice-versa.

KansasSooner

Aces & eights
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That's the key here. The defense is going to keep us in every game, even more so than last year... but can't carry the whole game.

Game planning and dictating tempo will be key. You have to give the QB some creative license in the offense in regards to timing of play if nothing else. When the play caller sits back on their heels every offensive play trying to decipher what the defense is showing them, THEN making a decision which has to make it's way onto the field, you're opening yourself up to clock issues, being fed false looks etc.

That sounds like line up and smash them in the mouth type of offense, I like it. :D

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Heupel needs to come down out of the coaches box and put his ass on the sidelines. Maybe he could actually get a "feel" for the game that way.

occupant

Resident Inhabitant and nerve striker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,345.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well I think its a given that our run blocking will be going up another notch this year. Coach B is here for a reason, and it isn't to develop blockers for Sam/Landry.

With the deficiencies at WR, we will have to run to set up pass. I sure hope Blake plays a big role...

charlie42s

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was going to troll you guys, but as I thought about it I decided it was not necessary.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That's how we beat bama. Hopefully Heupel learned his lesson.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was going to troll you guys, but as I thought about it I decided it was not necessary.

That's good, because it's against the rules to troll team boards.

charlie42s

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's good, because it's against the rules to troll team boards.
I try to be better than that, but I saw an upside Longhorn plate on the front of a car yesterday. I was bothered by it until I remembered than they paid for it, at least I hope they paid for it and didn't steal it.

7NationalChampionships

SportsHoopla Top 10
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I try to be better than that, but I saw an upside Longhorn plate on the front of a car yesterday. I was bothered by it until I remembered than they paid for it, at least I hope they paid for it and didn't steal it.

Is the UT board dead?

I don't see any other reason you would be over here hanging out with us "land thieves".