• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

A Few Of My Favorite Things

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some of my favorite music is when a qualified jazz ensemble thoughtfully covers popular songs that I like. I'm going to post some here for you to enjoy and if you know of any good ones, please fill me in.

I just heard this on Pandora and dug it, so I thought I'd share. I'd never heard this song before, but I have seen the Sam Yahel Trio open up once for Steely Dan and they were damn good. Anywho:

Tai Chi≈Surfing

Phenom~Vet~HOFer
San Francisco -- The edge of the western world.
Hoopla Cash
$ 147,849.53
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I love C.Mac & Charlie Hunter....they both play here on the reg....the latter used to be based here in SF and was a major force during the early/mid 90's in the new west coast & "acid jazz" movements. You may also want to check out artists like Karl Denson,(Tiny Universe/GreyBoy All Stars) Medeski, Martin & Wood, Soulive, and Trombone Shorty.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I love C.Mac & Charlie Hunter....they both play here on the reg....the latter used to be based here in SF and was a major force during the early/mid 90's in the new west coast & "acid jazz" movements. You may also want to check out artists like Karl Denson,(Tiny Universe/GreyBoy All Stars) Medeski, Martin & Wood, Soulive, and Trombone Shorty.

Nice. A guy who is like my brother lives out in Berkley and I'm always jealous of the acts that come through there that he gets to see. He actually plays out quite a bit as well - he's even played Yoshii's, which I think is pretty damn cool.

I know of the GreyBoy All Stars, MM&W as well as Trombone Shorty, but haven't heard of Soulive. I'll check them out.

I've actually met Trombone Shorty as well as a host of New Orleans musicians. Ever heard of John Boutte? He sang the theme song to the HBO show Treme and played himself on a few episodes.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@SlinkyRedfoot
I'd be remiss if I didn't mention & recommend another local fave...
The Marcus Shelby Trio for your listening pleasure.

Hell yes. That sounds great.

It's funny, I grew up playing guitar (even studied it at Berklee College of Music for a bit), but I don't really like guitar in my jazz. My favorite is probably a piano, bass, drum trio, but I'm also pretty fond of horns and even the vibraphone.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Nice! It's likely that everyone on these threads knows at least a couple of Guaraldi's songs by heart...

Honestly, I was thinking this thread would be for jazz folks covering pop songs, but I like where you took this. Fuck it. This is the jazz thread.

Here's a local guy to @yoga≈surfing

Tai Chi≈Surfing

Phenom~Vet~HOFer
Hoopla Cash
$ 147,849.53
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hell yes. That sounds great.

It's funny, I grew up playing guitar (even studied it at Berklee College of Music for a bit), but I don't really like guitar in my jazz. My favorite is probably a piano, bass, drum trio, but I'm also pretty fond of horns and even the vibraphone.

When it comes to the "vibes".....I'm all about the Modern Jazz Quartet (Milt Jackson) FTW!!!
Cal Tjader & Gary Burton as well.

As far as jazz guitar goes...does it get any better than Wes Montgomery??

Tai Chi≈Surfing

Phenom~Vet~HOFer
Hoopla Cash
$ 147,849.53
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hand On The Torch is an awesome album....lots of props & recognition given to the earlier jazz beaus.
It's one of the best albums to come of the 90's.

This is the tune Steely Dan used for Rikki....

Last edited:

Tai Chi≈Surfing

Phenom~Vet~HOFer
Hoopla Cash
$ 147,849.53
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The whole enchilada....

01 00:00 Cantaloop (Flip Fantasia) [4.38]
02 04:38 I Got It Goin' On [5.19]
03 09:57 Different Rhythms Different People [1.17]
04 11:14 It's Like That [3.40]
05 14:54 Just Another Brother [3.42]
06 18:36 Cruisin' [3.31]
07 22:07 I Go To Work [4.05]
08 26:12 Tukka Yoot's Riddim [5.39]
09 31:51 Know Ledge of Self [4.16]
10 36:07 Lazy Day [4.39]
11 40:46 Eleven Long Years [3.46]
12 44:32 Make Tracks [4.44]
13 49:16 Dark Side [5.18]

•Cantaloop (Flip Fantasia) features samples from "Cantaloupe Island" as performed by Herbie Hancock, and the introduction from "A Night in Birdland, Vol. 1" by Art Blakey Quintet.

•I Got It Goin' On features a sample from "Ronnie's Bonnie" as performed by Reuben Wilson.

•Different Rhythms Different People features vocal samples from "Art Blakey's Comment On Ritual" and "At The Cafe Bohemia, Vol. 2" by The Jazz Messengers.

•It's Like That features samples from "Alfie's Theme" as performed by Big John Patton and "Cool Blues" as performed by Lou Donaldson.

•Just Another Brother features samples from "Crisis" as performed by Art Blakey and the Jazz Messengers.

•I Go To Work features samples from "Straight No Chaser" as performed by Thelonious Monk.

•Tukka Yoot's Riddim features samples from "Sookie Sookie" as performed by Grant Green.

•Lazy Day features a sample from "Goin' Down South" as performed by Bobby Hutcherson.

•Eleven Long Years features samples from "Song For My Father" as performed by Horace Silver and "Blind Man, Blind Man" as performed by Herbie Hancock.

•Make Tracks features samples from "Filthy McNasty" as performed by Horace Silver and "Jeannine" as performed by Donald Byrd.

•The Darkside features a sample from "Steppin' Into Tomorrow" as performed by Donald Byrd.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The whole enchilada....

01 00:00 Cantaloop (Flip Fantasia) [4.38]
02 04:38 I Got It Goin' On [5.19]
03 09:57 Different Rhythms Different People [1.17]
04 11:14 It's Like That [3.40]
05 14:54 Just Another Brother [3.42]
06 18:36 Cruisin' [3.31]
07 22:07 I Go To Work [4.05]
08 26:12 Tukka Yoot's Riddim [5.39]
09 31:51 Know Ledge of Self [4.16]
10 36:07 Lazy Day [4.39]
11 40:46 Eleven Long Years [3.46]
12 44:32 Make Tracks [4.44]
13 49:16 Dark Side [5.18]

•Cantaloop (Flip Fantasia) features samples from "Cantaloupe Island" as performed by Herbie Hancock, and the introduction from "A Night in Birdland, Vol. 1" by Art Blakey Quintet.

•I Got It Goin' On features a sample from "Ronnie's Bonnie" as performed by Reuben Wilson.

•Different Rhythms Different People features vocal samples from "Art Blakey's Comment On Ritual" and "At The Cafe Bohemia, Vol. 2" by The Jazz Messengers.

•It's Like That features samples from "Alfie's Theme" as performed by Big John Patton and "Cool Blues" as performed by Lou Donaldson.

•Just Another Brother features samples from "Crisis" as performed by Art Blakey and the Jazz Messengers.

•I Go To Work features samples from "Straight No Chaser" as performed by Thelonious Monk.

•Tukka Yoot's Riddim features samples from "Sookie Sookie" as performed by Grant Green.

•Lazy Day features a sample from "Goin' Down South" as performed by Bobby Hutcherson.

•Eleven Long Years features samples from "Song For My Father" as performed by Horace Silver and "Blind Man, Blind Man" as performed by Herbie Hancock.

•Make Tracks features samples from "Filthy McNasty" as performed by Horace Silver and "Jeannine" as performed by Donald Byrd.

•The Darkside features a sample from "Steppin' Into Tomorrow" as performed by Donald Byrd.

I had that album when it came out. Cantaloop is pretty catchy.

Maybe I'm just a crusty old fuck in this regard, but I don't really consider what they're doing as an homage similar to SD using the bit for Rikki.

It's catchy, I guess, but I don't see it as any more creative than rappers sampling/stealing entire songs, and I certainly wouldn't put it anywhere near a top album from the 90s. I don't even think it's good.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Weird, but Slink Jr friggen LOVED this song when he was an infant. He'd be crying or whatever, I'd put this on and he'd chill out.

He also loved when I'd play the Eagles' Desperado on guitar. Good little guy.

Reactions: GNG