• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

9 wins argument

Exorbitant

An image back in time
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Yea it would be........because literally nobody has ever and will ever do that in their first 6 seasons.

I'm talking reality here. Bo could do something that only 4 others have ever done. That, my friend, is mind blowing.....especially since we all want him fired. The irony is incredible.

I see your point, but if Bo had not mishandled and poorly prepared his teams, he should have at the very least averaged 10 wins per season and won a couple of conference titles, one Big 12, and one BIG title, and also had some wins against top competition. This was all well within his grasp, but he blew it!

Exorbitant

An image back in time
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Again, what I brought up was simply a cool stat that shocks me....

At no point did I say, "SEE LOOK AT THIS!!! THIS IS WHAT MATTERS!!"

While I'm talking reality you guys still have yourn heads in the clouds where everybody hates Bo Pelini because he doesn't do anything at all right.

This was never to bring a debate up at all......it was just something to think about. It's quite crazy that our really bad coach could join those other 4 great coaches.

I myself have never said I hate Bo, just the way he coaches. I don't hate anyone except a few politicians, terrorists, and some corporate pricks who are exceedingly self serving.

Brasky

Till We Can't Be Beat. WON'T. BE. BEAT.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BbYz4G3CQAAwUFu.jpg

bigred472

theoldestidiotonthisboard
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I myself have never said I hate Bo, just the way he coaches. I don't hate anyone except a few politicians, terrorists, and some corporate pricks who are exceedingly self serving.
--------
Agreed. I think Bo's intentions are well intended but the results speak otherwise and after six years IMO it ain't gonna get any better. There are far too many things he would have to do to get us to the next level. And he's done none of them and too vain to admit he needs to do any of them. I accept the fact that he's gonna be here next year (unless he completely implodes during the bowl game), but I don't see any better results (8-4 in the regular season if we're lucky).

GBR

ugafan6612

Oh I really like boobs
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He ain't gonna have nine this season :evil:

Exorbitant

An image back in time
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
It will count when he s won a couple nattys and gets set to retire.

If he changes his ways, he has the chance to be really successful at Nebraska. If I was a Vegas oddsmaker, and I placed odds on Mad Dog having that kind of success, can you imagine how high I would have to set the odds for a bet such as this to not lose my ass?

Exorbitant

An image back in time
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
--------
Agreed. I think Bo's intentions are well intended but the results speak otherwise and after six years IMO it ain't gonna get any better. There are far too many things he would have to do to get us to the next level. And he's done none of them and too vain to admit he needs to do any of them. I accept the fact that he's gonna be here next year (unless he completely implodes during the bowl game), but I don't see any better results (8-4 in the regular season if we're lucky).

GBR

I don't think most of us would be surprised to see a 5 or 6 loss season in 2014, not including a bowl game.

Papalou

disMEMBER
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gator Bowl Win Can Put Pelini on Elite List

Randy York's N-Sider

Official Blog of the Huskers

To heighten interest, The N-Sider offers up some interesting twists that will make watching the Nebraska-Georgia Gator Bowl more historically relevant and, by its very nature, more fun. Let’s start with a bit of a stunner: In the history of college football, only seven BCS conference coaches have posted at least nine wins in each of their first six seasons as a head coach at that school.

The last time it happened dates back four decades ago when Tom Osborne won at least nine games from 1973 to the 1978 season and, of course, went on to keep that streak for all 25 of his years as a head coach. Barry Switzer launched his head coaching career at Oklahoma the same year Osborne began at Nebraska. Switzer kept his minimum 9-win streak alive for his first eight years at OU before his Sooner teams finished 7-4-1 in 1981 and 8-4 in both ’82 and ’83. The list of coaches who have launched each of the first six years at a BCS school with at least nine wins includes:

Dr. Henry L. Williams (Minnesota) 1900-05, 65 wins

Dennis Erickson (Miami) 1989-93, 63 wins

Barry Switzer (Oklahoma) 1973-78, 62 wins

Steve Spurrier (Florida) 1990-95, 61 wins

Mack Brown (Texas) 1998-2003, 59 wins

Earle Bruce (Ohio State), 1979-84, 56 wins

Tom Osborne (Nebraska) 1973-78, 55 wins

That’s our trivial pursuit version of something that might expand from a Magnificent Seven to an Elite Eight list on New Year’s Day. If Bo Pelini can lead Nebraska to an upset win over Georgia in their Jacksonville rematch of last year’s Capital One Bowl, he can add his name to the “first six-seasons list” and increase his win total to 57, one more than Bruce and two more than Osborne, the man who hired him.

Osborne and Switzer Shared National Excellence

How rare is it for two coaches like Osborne and Switzer to rank so high on the same list? For three decades, they battled for seasonal supremacy in late November. Let the record show that Osborne lost to Switzer the first five of those six years (‘73-74-75-76-77) until the Huskers upset the top-ranked Sooners, 17-14 in 1978. Years later, Osborne made a substantive observation: “Our fans used to think Oklahoma was the enemy, but they actually made us better,” he said. Osborne and Switzer were longtime rivals who had great respect for each other. They are the only two coaches on the list who started their head coaching careers at that school during those designated years. With a win, Pelini, would be the third to achieve that milestone in his first head coaching stop. Erickson, Spurrier, Brown and Bruce had previously been head coaches at another BCS school.

Williams had previously been a head coach, but not at a BCS school. Big Ten history buffs know that Williams was Minnesota’s head football coach from 1900 to 1921. What some might not know is that Williams Arena, the home for Gopher basketball, is named after the legendary football coach.

If Pelini joins Switzer and Osborne as history-makers in their respective first six seasons, he also would become the first BCS conference coach in college football history to take over a losing team and lead it to at least nine wins for each of his first six seasons. Pelini’s win total in comparative charts does not reflect his serving as Nebraska’s interim head coach when the Huskers beat Michigan State, 19-3, in the 2003 Alamo Bowl. The NCAA, however, recognizes Pelini’s Alamo Bowl win over the Spartans, giving the Youngstown, Ohio, native a 3-3 overall bowl game record as a head coach.

Bo Ranks 10th Among Active Division I Coaches

We finish this blog sharing the list of active college football Division I coaches who have the most wins since 2008, the year that Pelini first became an NCAA head coach. Here’s the elite company he’s in:

1) Nick Saban, Alabama, 72

2) Chris Peterson, Boise State, 68

3) Bob Stoops, Oklahoma, 62

4) Gary Patterson, TCU, 58

5) Les Miles, LSU, 60

6-7) Mike Gundy, Oklahoma State, 59

6-7) Brian Kelly, Cincinnati, Notre Dame, 59

8) Urban Meyer, Florida, Ohio State, 58

9) Frank Beamer, Virginia Tech, 57

10) Bo Pelini, Nebraska, 56

Numbers don’t lie. They frame historical perspective. Hope you enjoyed this little history lesson. It heightens my interest in the bowl rematch. How about yours?

Send a comment to [email protected] (Include city, state)

Follow Randy on Twitter at www.twitter.com/RandyYorkNsider

Randy’s N-Sider Blog Archive

Randy’s N-Sider Column Archive

bigred472

theoldestidiotonthisboard
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Numbers don’t lie.

No but they don't tell the whole story. Has Bo ever gotten us a top 10 raning by the end of any year? How about a Conf. championship?

They frame historical perspective.

Have to disagree here as well. We're good for being the victim of at least two blowouts per year as well. Haas he shown he can stop that?

Hope you enjoyed this little history lesson. It heightens my interest in the bowl rematch. How about yours?

I will watch the game and root for the players and hope they win because IMO of they do win (doubtful) I won't give one whit of the credit to the coaching staff because all a win for us will probably prove is that Georgia is less fired up for this rematch than we are.