• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

9 Rule Changes - Tom Verducci

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
9 Rules

1. Agreed (with a stipulation). Start out just using the Instant Replay during the playoffs and see how it goes and use a "challenge" type method currently employed in football.
2. Agreed. I'd be ok with the 40 man roster, but only available to dress 25 players per day (however the manager sees fit on choosing from his 40 man).
3. Agreed (with a stipulation). Any body armor above the waste (i.e. - protection for the hands or elbows) should just count as a "ball", not a free pass. I'm ok with hitters wearing ankle/shin protectors as they are geared towards protecting against foul balls, not stealing the inside part of the plate.
4. Agreed. There should be a set baseline and if you run out of it, you're out.
5. Undecided. Maybe 1 catcher visit* per inning? *Manager visits where the catcher comes up as well do not count as a catchers visit.
6. Disagree. Give me a break, you could easily have somebody in the dugout relay the information to the team and the 1st Base Coach. There's just NO way to enforce this. If pitchers don't want to be have stolen bases against them, they need to trim down their delivery with men on.
7. Undecided. Seems like it would just open up a different can of worms. Umpires judgement seems scary to me.
8. I agree with this just because I think baseball should implement Instant Replay. (with a challenge type scenario like football)
9. Agreed, I wouldn't mind a best of 5 for the DCS and the LCS with the WS being a 7 gamer.

What are your thoughts gents?

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
9 Rules

1. Agreed (with a stipulation). Start out just using the Instant Replay during the playoffs and see how it goes and use a "challenge" type method currently employed in football.
2. Agreed. I'd be ok with the 40 man roster, but only available to dress 25 players per day (however the manager sees fit on choosing from his 40 man).
3. Agreed (with a stipulation). Any body armor above the waste (i.e. - protection for the hands or elbows) should just count as a "ball", not a free pass. I'm ok with hitters wearing ankle/shin protectors as they are geared towards protecting against foul balls, not stealing the inside part of the plate.
5. Undecided. Maybe 1 catcher visit* per inning? *Manager visits where the catcher comes up as well do not count as a catchers visit.
6. Disagree. Give me a break, you could easily have somebody in the dugout relay the information to the team and the 1st Base Coach. There's just NO way to enforce this. If pitchers don't want to be have stolen bases against them, they need to trim down their delivery with men on.
7. Undecided. Seems like it would just open up a different can of worms. Umpires judgement seems scary to me.
8. I agree with this just because I think baseball should implement Instant Replay. (with a challenge type scenario like football)
9. Agreed, I wouldn't mind a best of 5 for the DCS and the LCS with the WS being a 7 gamer.

1. Expand replay with a fifth ump; no challenges.
2. Agree; 25 active players each day. Four additional Sep callups are sufficient (replacing the 4 other SPs).
3. I don't think this is a big issue, but I'd be OK with the change.
4. Meh, another non-issue for me. I wouldn't change the rule.
5. Agreed, although this is mostly an AL issue.
6. If they're banned in the dugout they should be banned at 1b too. Agree.
7. Completely agree; if you don't want to risk this as a hitter then dont use slim handled bats or maple bats at all.
8. Agree; I've always found the extra umps in the field to be stupid.
9. COMPLETELY AGREE. The WC round should be three games, the DS and CS should be five; the WS 7 games.
and, add...
10. The Buster Posey Rule. This actually wouldn't be a new rule, it would merely be the enforcement of the interference/obstruction rules in the book. Simply put, you cannot blow up the catcher, and the catcher cannot block the plate. You can't blow up the second baseman trying to stretch a single into a double, why is it ok to blow up the catcher when trying to score from second on a single?

uncfan103

Not Banned
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,333.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
9 Rules

1. I don't think replay is a big deal. I wouldnt have a problem with managers being able to challenge certain things though, but i think there should be a 30 second time limit looking at the replay or something (even if it is done by an umpire in a press box/replay booth or whatever).
2. I disagree
3. I agree with you on this
4. I wouldnt change this rule
5. I understand why people would want this rule changed, but i don't really think its something i would change.
6. Yeah, i agree they shouldnt be allowed on the field if theyre banned in the dugout.
7. I can understand why some people would want this changed, but its too hard to institute IMO
8. I would agree there's no reason for these extra umpires.
9. Makes sense

Thanks for posting, it was an interesting read.

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1. Instant replay is a good idea, but it would have to be limited. Not balls and strikes, not if the batter swung or not. Perhaps a limited number of challenges as well. It would have to evolve a bit, but I am for the concept.

2. I like his suggestion as stated - 25 players per game, period.

3. I have watched with interest the ever-increasing crustaceanization of professional athletes. Soon they will all be Imperial Stormtroopers, immune to physical intimidation. The elbow armor would have to somehow be limited.

4. Perhaps they should double the size of first base and extend the runner's half to foul territory, like I have seen in some softball leagues?

5. A limit of two visits per inning by other players (not limited to catchers) does not seem unreasonable.

6. Agreed - no devices of any kind should be on the field. Not even a wristwatch.

7. Difficult to enforce. Besides, what would Roger Clemens do if he couldn't throw a broken bat back at the batter?

8. Agreed. The sudden change is awkward and unnecessary. I have reffed different sports all my adult life, and there is nothing worse than a ref with nothing to do. He will invent calls to make, and that is not a good thing.

9. If it generates revenue, the owners will wants to keep the current format. Not a big deal to me.

Excellent post, great Hot Stove topic. Thank you for finding that.