• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: 8.2 Happy Bum Day

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One thing for sure, Bumgarner did NOT get Cained tonight

1phlapdown

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
[QUOTE="stanford the manford, post: 11978845, member: 11833... post season he's the man, seems he needs the big stage to dominate[/QUOTE]
We'd all like to think so.

But in all reality it may come down to what sfgrbt said above: "Maybe he's just not the same..."

The ubiquitous financial industry disclaimer comes to mind: past performance...

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
[QUOTE="stanford the manford, post: 11978845, member: 11833... post season he's the man, seems he needs the big stage to dominate
We'd all like to think so. But in all reality it may come down to what sfgrbt said above: "Maybe he's just not the same..." The ubiquitous financial industry disclaimer comes to mind: past performance...[/QUOTE said:
Yup, his last playoff performance came before the injuries.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
so question:

the play last night where Luvello made a mound visit, then Bochy hit Hanson for d'Arnaud, then Luvello went to make a pitching change but wasn't allowed to by the ump...according to Krukow that was the rule, but according to Chris Russo the umpire blew it. anyone know whos right?

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
so question:

the play last night where Luvello made a mound visit, then Bochy hit Hanson for d'Arnaud, then Luvello went to make a pitching change but wasn't allowed to by the ump...according to Krukow that was the rule, but according to Chris Russo the umpire blew it. anyone know whos right?

This is a new rule that has to do with the mound visits, right? Kruk loves the new mound visit limit rule, so I wouldn't be surprised if he is right here. I'll look into it

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is a new rule that has to do with the mound visits, right? Kruk loves the new mound visit limit rule, so I wouldn't be surprised if he is right here. I'll look into it

yeah. according to Kruk, after a mound visit the pitcher has to face the next batter

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yeah. according to Kruk, after a mound visit the pitcher has to face the next batter

So that's correct, but apparently there's a caveat to it. After a mound visit, if an opposing manager makes an offensive substitution, then the manager can go back out there and make a pitching change.

After the game the umpire apparently told the DBacks manager that they were wrong. Oops

https://www.azcentral.com/story/spo...diamondbacks-wrong-end-rules-snafu/889973002/

So I didn't hear what Russo said, but he was probably right. Kruk was sorta right, but not really

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So that's correct, but apparently there's a caveat to it. After a mound visit, if an opposing manager makes an offensive substitution, then the manager can go back out there and make a pitching change.

After the game the umpire apparently told the DBacks manager that they were wrong. Oops

https://www.azcentral.com/story/spo...diamondbacks-wrong-end-rules-snafu/889973002/

So I didn't hear what Russo said, but he was probably right. Kruk was sorta right, but not really

damnit, I hate when Russo is right

Two hours from anywhere one actually wants to be
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From Baggs at The Athletic. Good stuff.

Giants' injury storm swallows Pablo Sandoval, but Evan...

Black hasn’t allowed a hit since he broke china in his shaky, adrenaline-fueled major-league debut on July 8. In nine outings since then, he has thrown 9 1/3 hitless innings, walked three and struck out 13.

Dozens of very good relief pitchers swapped jerseys in the past couple weeks. Black might turn out to be a bigger weapon than any of them.

“He’s been impressive, hasn’t he?” Bochy said. “I just like his poise out there. He had a rough first one and bounced back. He’s confident in his breaking ball and getting it over any time He’s pitching with a lot of confidence.”

Black thinks of it more like a transference of confidence. He acknowledged that he not only overthrew in his debut, but also overruled catcher Buster Posey.

Did he shake off a few times?

“Ohhhh yeah,” he said.

And?

“Not any more,” he said

Well, there was one time he shook off backup catcher Nick Hundley.

“He put down a two,” Black said. “I shook no. And he put down a two.”

The rough debut was difficult to process, but as Black said, “Adversity has been a part of my career.” So while working to tighten his slider and maintain his direction to home plate and make sure he didn’t baby those two-strike breaking pitches, since hitters at this level will swing at a curve in the dirt, too, he told himself to make one more adjustment.

He decided to throw what Posey and Hundley put down.

“They’re doing all the work,” Black said. “They’re evaluating the hitter. I’m just throwing the pitches. I’m the robot out there.”