• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: 8.15 Bum @ StealthAce

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Verlander was a badass, too. Till he met El Panda Grande.
That kind of comparison works both ways, though.

The Giants we’re 4 outs away from winning the Series before Dusty tossed the ball to Ortiz…

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The Giants we’re 4 outs away from winning the Series before Dusty tossed the ball to Ortiz…
The real "blame" there was that Robby Nen blew his arm out in that very series. He could not close Game 6, IIRC the game number.

From Wikipedia Robb Nen - Wikipedia

"Nen's career reached its climax in the 2002 World Series. He earned saves in Games 1 and 4 of the series despite noticing pain in his shoulder prior to the All-Star break. As fate would have it, his last professional game would be on October 26, 2002 at Edison International Field (now known as Angel Stadium of Anaheim). It was Game 6 of the 2002 World Series, with the Giants leading the series three games to two.

The Giants, the National League wild card team, and the Anaheim Angels, the American League wild card team, played a seven-game series in which Nen earned two saves. Behind the pitching of starter Russ Ortiz, the Giants appeared to be cruising to an easy 5–0 victory and their first World Series title since 1954 (when they were still the New York Giants). In the seventh inning, however, Ortiz ran into trouble and was relieved by Felix Rodríguez. Rodriguez then gave up a three-run home run to the Angels' Scott Spiezio.

The Angels tacked on another run in the eighth with a lead-off home run by Darin Erstad. After two more runners reached base safely in the eighth, Nen came in to relieve Tim Worrell and try to protect what was now a shaky one-run Giants lead. But Nen was unable to shut down the Angels' surge and gave up a two-run double to eventual series MVP Troy Glaus, which put the Angels ahead by one run. They hung on to win the game, and won the series following a win the next day. Nen pitched with full awareness that he was likely jeopardizing his career and remains admired by Giants' fans for his self-sacrifice. It was, in fact, his final appearance. The eight save opportunities (with seven saved) in one postseason is a record, tied in 2015 by Jeurys Familia; the seven saves ties the mark with five other pitchers (John Wetteland, Troy Percival, Brad Lidge, Koji Uehara and Greg Holland)."

If Nen was healthy, there's a 99% probability he shuts them down in Game 6, and we take that Series.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

aaaaannnnd every so often someone has to bring up the saddest game I've ever attended.

Thanks alt. May you get Susac'd soon.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The real "blame" there was that Robby Nen blew his arm out in that very series. He could not close Game 6, IIRC the game number.

From Wikipedia Robb Nen - Wikipedia

"Nen's career reached its climax in the 2002 World Series. He earned saves in Games 1 and 4 of the series despite noticing pain in his shoulder prior to the All-Star break. As fate would have it, his last professional game would be on October 26, 2002 at Edison International Field (now known as Angel Stadium of Anaheim). It was Game 6 of the 2002 World Series, with the Giants leading the series three games to two.

The Giants, the National League wild card team, and the Anaheim Angels, the American League wild card team, played a seven-game series in which Nen earned two saves. Behind the pitching of starter Russ Ortiz, the Giants appeared to be cruising to an easy 5–0 victory and their first World Series title since 1954 (when they were still the New York Giants). In the seventh inning, however, Ortiz ran into trouble and was relieved by Felix Rodríguez. Rodriguez then gave up a three-run home run to the Angels' Scott Spiezio.

The Angels tacked on another run in the eighth with a lead-off home run by Darin Erstad. After two more runners reached base safely in the eighth, Nen came in to relieve Tim Worrell and try to protect what was now a shaky one-run Giants lead. But Nen was unable to shut down the Angels' surge and gave up a two-run double to eventual series MVP Troy Glaus, which put the Angels ahead by one run. They hung on to win the game, and won the series following a win the next day. Nen pitched with full awareness that he was likely jeopardizing his career and remains admired by Giants' fans for his self-sacrifice. It was, in fact, his final appearance. The eight save opportunities (with seven saved) in one postseason is a record, tied in 2015 by Jeurys Familia; the seven saves ties the mark with five other pitchers (John Wetteland, Troy Percival, Brad Lidge, Koji Uehara and Greg Holland)."

If Nen was healthy, there's a 99% probability he shuts them down in Game 6, and we take that Series.
True. Robb Nen gave literally his arm for us.
What a king. He deserved better. Phuking rally monkeys.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
True. Robb Nen gave literally his arm for us.
What a king. He deserved better. Phuking rally monkeys.
Exactly the reason he is #1 on my list of closers in the history of the Giants.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly the reason he is #1 on my list of closers in the history of the Giants.
Fair.

Loves me some Shooter, Pudge, BWeez, Romo.

But Smoke on the Water was the best.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lavelle.

Minton was Moon Man IIRC.
Lavelle was my second choice. I vaguely remember Minton, but Lavelle was before my time. I was aware the Giants existed, but didn’t pay any attention to them until 86/87. I was a true Humm Baby / You Gotta Love These Kids fan.

Sandisfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rod Beck! Is he shooter? cause he could get outs from lefties as well or better than righties. Miss that guy he seemed like a guy you could hang out with and have a good time or just being around.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rod Beck! Is he shooter? cause he could get outs from lefties as well or better than righties. Miss that guy he seemed like a guy you could hang out with and have a good time or just being around.
Yes. Beck = Shooter.

That’s pretty much why he is so beloved by every fan base he ever played for. He just didn’t give a fuck. He was one of them. He would smoke and drink in the bullpen (not really, but it certainly seemed that he did).

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lavelle was my second choice. I vaguely remember Minton, but Lavelle was before my time. I was aware the Giants existed, but didn’t pay any attention to them until 86/87. I was a true Humm Baby / You Gotta Love These Kids fan.
Did you see the long video they showed before Will Clark spoke at his number retirement?

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nope. Wasn’t broadcast anywhere
Oh man try to find it on the internet. Didn't really go out of my way but was flipping channels, the local CSN channel had it on, so I stayed and got to see it. Tons of old footage of him playing, other players talking about him, him saying fun shit, celebrating big wins, etc. The posters, the commercials, all of it. It was a 1980s time machine.

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Miss that dude, one of my favorite Giants ever
Have you seen his numbers in the Mexican League this year? He started with Monclova and then was moved to Tabasco (not sure it was a release and sign or a trade).

YearAgeAgeDifTmLgLevAffGPAABRH2B3BHRRBISBCSBBSOBAOBPSLGOPSTBGDPHBPSHSFIBB
2022355.1MonclovaMEXInd2811910414253031800108.240.311.356.6673702031
2022355.1TabascoMEXInd43169148224620724001733.311.396.466.8636934002