• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

MLB Daily Thread: 7.8.15 Red Sox surging towards first, Padres lose yet again, Yanks lose in 10

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have a different issue with it. I think winning your division is vastly overrated. I hate to see a team with a better record have to play a one game play-in while a team that coasted to winning a weak division gets a day off and a five game series.

I think I understand what you're saying, Champ.

So, if the Division A is the best division in the league, and a wild card winner from it is clearly better than the division winner from a significantly better Division B, it's not fair that they play the one game play-in. Is that correct?

I see your point, but I disagree with you that winning a division is overrated. 162 games separates the wheat from the chafe. Obviously, all divisions aren't created equal, so it is may be easier to win certain divisions, but I don't think the old format fully addresses your concern anyway. With the old format, a wild card winner from a weak division would have a shot to take down the best team in the league - I realize there's a difference between a 5-game series and a 1-game play in, but honestly, in the context of a 162 game season, I don't think it's much.

The only way to completely avoid your concern is to go back to two leagues with a set number of teams with the best records from each division making the playoffs, but even then, you could argue that one league was stronger than the other.

Is it "fair" that a WC winner from the best division could be knocked out by a WC winner from the weakest division? Probably not, but my answer is, if you don't like it, win you fucking division.

Mondo Jay

Wine Mafia
Hoopla Cash
$ 7,690.94
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I love the wildcard. It feels like two game 7 elimination games to kick off the playoffs. High drama (that I am also high for). I didn't like it as much when the Braves went one and done though..

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For the most part it is.
The only think I'd like to see changed is the one game WC play in game.

It should be at least a best of 3 series. Baseball is a series oriented game.

That one game elimination crap is better served for soccer and football.

I disagree. I think WC winners are lucky to have a shot to make the playoffs. They didn't win their division. Shouldn't be there in the first place. I respect the outcome of a 162-game schedule.

Tai Chi≈Surfing

Phenom~Vet~HOFer
San Francisco -- The edge of the western world.
Hoopla Cash
$ 147,849.53
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A play in series sounds like a huge disadvantage because you'd likely be going up in the next series against one of the best teams in baseball with your 3rd or 4th best starter.
not necessarily.....tho I understand how some would see that as an alleged dilemma...and I also get the "purists" argument about just winning the division to avoid the WC too.
I just think it would be better for baseball and the fans to implement a 1st round WC 3 game or even 5 game series instead of the 1 game win or lose scenario in place now.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And the silly AS game winning league team getting home field advantage for the world series is altogether another antiquated idea.

I agree with this. I think WS home field should be determined either by the overall collective results of interleague play, or simply which WS team has a better record.

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We have a regular season to eliminate the unworthy. If we can't say we honestly have the ten best teams after 162 games...

Scientifically, the 162 games is actually less, considering Interleague games are only 50% relevant. During interleague bullshit like St. Louis at Seattle, the games have almost no real relevance. Those games should be replaced with divisional rivalries.

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with this. I think WS home field should be determined either by the overall collective results of interleague play, or simply which WS team has a better record.

There are all sorts of interesting formulas that could be used. It's time to do it.

williewilliejuan

Giant Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think the National and American leagues should both nominate a slate of young women for a wet t-shirt contest and the league who brings forth the best titties should get home field advantage.

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 977.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Scientifically, the 162 games is actually less, considering Interleague games are only 50% relevant. During interleague bullshit like St. Louis at Seattle, the games have almost no real relevance. Those games should be replaced with divisional rivalries.

I'm cool with that. You'd still need to play the other divisions in your league, but most of your games should be within your own division.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I kinda like the All Star game mattering because I dont really think home field is a huge advantage. I have no numbers to back me up with that thought, though.

Right now baseball has the best All Star game by a large margin

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the National and American leagues should both nominate a slate of young women for a wet t-shirt contest and the league who brings forth the best titties should get home field advantage.
So what you're saying is that we need an NL team in Utah

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I love the wildcard. It feels like two game 7 elimination games to kick off the playoffs. High drama (that I am also high for). I didn't like it as much when the Braves went one and done though..

Haha. Fuck the Braves, Champ.

I agree though. Elimination games are fucking super exciting.

Similarly, I was disappointed when the Rays knocked the Indians out, but I was actually there. Had amazing fucking seats too - like 5th or 6th row left of homeplate:

IMG_0755 (00000002).JPG

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
not necessarily.....tho I understand how some would see that as an alleged dilemma...and I also get the "purists" argument about just winning the division to avoid the WC too.
I just think it would be better for baseball and the fans to implement a 1st round WC 3 game or even 5 game series instead of the 1 game win or lose scenario in place now.

Yeah, but that puts divisional winners on the shelf for a week or so while the WC teams play their series. That much time off in baseball is not a good thing.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I like titties. We should throw some ass in there too, though.

Mondo Jay

Wine Mafia
Hoopla Cash
$ 7,690.94
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I kinda like the All Star game mattering because I dont really think home field is a huge advantage. I have no numbers to back me up with that thought, though.

Right now baseball has the best All Star game by a large margin

Teams with home field advantage have won 8 of the last 10 World Series. But....most don't go 7 games (only 4 of the last 20 WS have gone the distance).

The jury is still out I guess...

Mondo Jay

Wine Mafia
Hoopla Cash
$ 7,690.94
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Haha. Fuck the Braves, Champ.

I agree though. Elimination games are fucking super exciting.

Similarly, I was disappointed when the Rays knocked the Indians out, but I was actually there. Had amazing fucking seats too - like 5th or 6th row left of homeplate:

View attachment 17367

I see you! You look pretty drunk.