• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

7/13 GDT Asstros @ Bum

MarcoPolo

Huge member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't want to re-open a painful discussion, but Pablo hit the catcher pretty hard. Luckily nobody was injured. I guess that's just baseball (and it wasn't even the go-ahead, winning run in a tied, extra-innings game).

1phlapdown

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks like the Pads are rolling over.

1phlapdown

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
wtf a 4 pitch walk?

1phlapdown

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Casilla slams the door.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't want to re-open a painful discussion, but Pablo hit the catcher pretty hard. Luckily nobody was injured. I guess that's just baseball (and it wasn't even the go-ahead, winning run in a tied, extra-innings game).

It is "just baseball," but I fucking hate it. Not supported in the rule book, in fact, it's interference and Pablo should have been called out.

Change the rule in the book, or follow the rule. This half assed "that's just baseball" is bullshit.

Ahem ::steps down off of soapbox::

SFAnthem

Brain dead Hacker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I didnt get a chance to watch the game. Was the catcher blocking the plate or was there a path to the plate?

The radio guys left an impression that the plate was completely blocked off

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didnt get a chance to watch the game. Was the catcher blocking the plate or was there a path to the plate?

It was blocked, but he had the ball prior to Pablo hitting him. Interference by the rule book.

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Giants Roll Astros - ESPN Video - ESPN

(Collision replay at end of highlights)

Looks like Panda went after the catcher pretty good, but not nearly as viciously or unnecessarily as Scott ####face did with Buster. It looked like the right side of the plate (from Panda's view) was left open for a hook slide. But if Panda went for the hook slide, the catcher had time to slide over and cut him off. So Panda made the proper play, and did it without looking like Jack Tatum or George Atkinson. Panda made the right choice, hard and clean.

MarcoPolo

Huge member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Giants Roll Astros - ESPN Video - ESPN

(Collision replay at end of highlights)

Looks like Panda went after the catcher pretty good, but not nearly as viciously or unnecessarily as Scott ####face did with Buster. It looked like the right side of the plate (from Panda's view) was left open for a hook slide. But if Panda went for the hook slide, the catcher had time to slide over and cut him off. So Panda made the proper play, and did it without looking like Jack Tatum or George Atkinson. Panda made the right choice, hard and clean.

That hit looks a hell of a lot like the one Cousins did. Both catchers were not blocking the plate while receiving the ball, but after fielding the ball moved to their left to tag the runner, and the runner changed direction and plowed into the catcher. Look where the catcher landed : almost on the first-base foul line. If Panda hadn't radically changed direction at the very end (like Cousins), the catcher would have landed behind home plate, and not almost on the foul line. A very similar play, IMO.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That hit looks a hell of a lot like the one Cousins did. Both catchers were not blocking the plate while receiving the ball, but after fielding the ball moved to their left to tag the runner, and the runner changed direction and plowed into the catcher. Look where the catcher landed : almost on the first-base foul line. If Panda hadn't radically changed direction at the very end (like Cousins), the catcher would have landed behind home plate, and not almost on the foul line. A very similar play, IMO.

This.

That fucking play has to be outlawed. No room for it in baseball.

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I don't agree. IMO, the change of direction was not as severe, and the hit was not as hell-bent for destruction. Panda actually looks like he pulls up just a bit, not much, but just enough to keep it within the bounds of fairness. He doesn't drive through the catcher like Scott ####face.

That having been said, what I will agree with is that home-plate collisions have no place in baseball. It should not have to be a judgment call - the line should be nowhere near where anyone gets intentionally hurt.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't agree. IMO, the change of direction was not as severe, and the hit was not as hell-bent for destruction. Panda actually looks like he pulls up just a bit, not much, but just enough to keep it within the bounds of fairness.

That having been said, what I will agree with is that home-plate collisions have no place in baseball. It should not have to be a judgment call - the line should be nowhere near where anyone gets intentionally hurt.

From Grant at MCC today:

Home-plate collisions are still bullshit. The Giants scored an extra run because Pablo Sandoval knocked the ball away from Chris Snyder. Don't care. It's a fucked up part of a civilized, orderly, rational game. The game isn't about forcing a ball out of the hands of a defender. It's about 90 feet and a slow chopper, 400 feet and an outfielder drifting back. It's not about a fat dude barreling into a big dude and making boom.

Why is this a controversial opinion? Why are we the ones with our fists in the air? Makes no sense.

:closed_2::closed_2:

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From Grant at MCC today:

Home-plate collisions are still bullshit. The Giants scored an extra run because Pablo Sandoval knocked the ball away from Chris Snyder. Don't care. It's a fucked up part of a civilized, orderly, rational game. The game isn't about forcing a ball out of the hands of a defender. It's about 90 feet and a slow chopper, 400 feet and an outfielder drifting back. It's not about a fat dude barreling into a big dude and making boom.

Why is this a controversial opinion? Why are we the ones with our fists in the air? Makes no sense.

ARodPurse.JPG

Still one of the best photoshops of all time.

SFAnthem

Brain dead Hacker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Was just able to watch the replay for the first time.

Similar in appearance, yes. Just my opinion but a slight difference between the two is that Cousins' looked premeditated.