• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

POLL #5 USC at #16 Washington State - who wins?

Who wins between USC vs Washington State?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Our defense isn't horrible, Hercules is undersized but will get pressure on Darnold regardless, Luvu, Oguyao and Thompson are the big mysteries on defense as they've shown glimpses of being really special players.

Yo Tee

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,749.98
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just because the pollsters didn't know how good they were before they played Stanford, doesn't change the fact that they were good.

Stanford was ranked when USC beat them, yet I doubt you'll give USC credit for beating a ranked team because they aren't ranked now.

I mean the statement was "they've lost to two ranked teams" when the fact is they didn't. I don't see how I am wrong there. Stanford is 0-1 against ranked teams.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mean the statement was "they've lost to two ranked teams" when the fact is they didn't. I don't see how I am wrong there. Stanford is 0-1 against ranked teams.

Because, in college football, those things change throughout the season because it's a poll based system. That's why you are wrong.

SDSU wasn't ranked when Stanford played them because the pollsters didn't know they were good enough to be ranked at the time. Because that has changed, Stanford gets credit for losing to 2 ranked teams. If SDSU loses some games and ends up unranked, that will change again.

Stanford was ranked when USC beat them, but they aren't now. So, USC currently doesn't get credit for beating a ranked team. If Stanford improves and ends up ranked, that will change again.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't attempt to act like I didn't read it, I literally saw you commented and proceeded to type my response. Literally 5-10 seconds after. But anyway...

It's like comparing which NFL team has the worst or best offense. It's based on PPG, it's based on total yards allowed. NFL teams don't have common opponents yet we are still able to rank their defenses aren't we? It's the same way in college football. If you wanna go by the eyesight test, that's a different discussion. But I provided you with 1 stat, A SINGLE STAT and all of a sudden I'm an idiot? Get off your high horse and have a civil conversation.
So comparing NFL stats to College stats is your first MAJOR flaw. Like massive. the NFL has a LOT more parity. They are pros. Most run very similar schemes or at least not near the exotic ones found across college. There is nothing even remotely close to parity within college football. It just won't work for you.

WSU looked impressive against all opponents aside from Boise State and Boise State is a decent team in their own right. Historically, BSU and WSU have always played close games. Last season, BSU won 10 games including one against WSU. Now with that said, BSU and WSU are not the same teams they were last year. WSU is obviously better than last year while BSU isn't as good as they were last year. USC has struggled against every team they've played on both sides of the ball. They could very well be 2-2 right now had Darnold not woken up against WMU and Stanford. USC doesn't look like a top 5 team, they almost lost to an overrated Texas team who couldn't beat Maryland. WSU also has an advantage because this will be their 5th straight home game (don't know how they worked that out), while USC will be on the road for the 2nd game in a row.
USC has struggled. That's why pretty much no one would forecast a blowout win by the Trojans in this game. They have not reached full stride yet. Not only has no one argued against that, but that has already been said by me in this very thread. However, last year they struggled early and then went on a tear and destroyed a lot of good teams. They have been through a lot of injuries and have a very big piece of their offense coming back this week. Jones is a RB I really don't think WSU can stop. Cal didn't even have to try because he didn't play. He's a big big part of their offense. This is one reason why any sort of comparison between Cal and WSU isn't going to be fair.

On the other hand, USC probably feels like they have something to prove and beating WSU for their 10th straight conference victory in Pullman on enemy soil, that would cement their top 5 status. USC is also 58-9-4 all-time against WSU and the last time they met up, USC blew them out 44-17. I think it's gonna be a close game, 1-score difference, but I ultimately think Washington State completes the upset.
Both teams are going to have a lot on the line. Neither has more emotion as something measurable before the game. Those tend to work themselves out in the first half as it is.

The game could very well go either way. I just personally believe stronger talent often trumps in games such as these and the talent disparity is rather large, particularly on both lines. WSU has an insanely good passing game. And while they at least have a running game now, it's not going to scare USC in the least. WSU will get scores on the board without the need to run.

I just see Jones being the difference for SC. Moving the ball on the ground opens up the play action and gives Darnold a LOT of help in the passing game. Their line should be able to give them that boost.

Yo Tee

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,749.98
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because, in college football, those things change throughout the season because it's a poll based system. That's why you are wrong.

SDSU wasn't ranked when Stanford played them because the pollsters didn't know they were good enough to be ranked at the time. Because that has changed, Stanford gets credit for losing to 2 ranked teams. If SDSU loses some games and ends up unranked, that will change again.

Stanford was ranked when USC beat them, but they aren't now. So, USC currently doesn't get credit for beating a ranked team. If Stanford improves and ends up ranked, that will change again.

The way that you're describing it sounds kinda like the best way to do it lol

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Moving the ball on the ground opens up the play action and gives Darnold a LOT of help in the passing game. Their line should be able to give them that boost.

And most important of all, it keeps the pirates offense on the sidelines.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The way that you're describing it sounds kinda like the best way to do it lol

It is part of the fun of college football. It is also some of what is maddening about college football. lol

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, I mean struggling against WMU in Week 1 and Stanford in Week 2 and almost losing to Texas in Week 3 and Cal in Week 4. USC hasn't looked like a top 5 team all year. Georgia, TCU and Wisconsin have all looked better in my opinion. USC is a top 10 team by default of how crappy the lower ranked teams have looked, but they shouldn't be a top 5 team. Once again, my opinion.

USC struggled against Stanford? Thats news to me. 42-24 ?
USC has started slow in games this season but they have outscored teams 62-31 in the fourth. It's not great that they start slow but they seem to be money when it's needed.

Yo Tee

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,749.98
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
USC has started slow in games this season but they have outscored teams 62-31 in the fourth. It's not great that they start slow but they seem to be money when it's needed.

As a top 5 team in the country, should they really be struggling against teams like Texas, Western Michigan and Cal at any point in the game?

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's what champions do. It's not how slow you start, it's how strong you finish and the great teams overcome adversity and win whether they played solidly enough for 4 quarters to really deserve it or not.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As a top 5 team in the country, should they really be struggling against teams like Texas, Western Michigan and Cal at any point in the game?
USC has not looked like the #5 team thus far. I doubt even their fans would argue against that. The rankings this early are way too reliant on preseason opinions instead of game facts. And they kind of have to be. That's also why you don't get any college playoff rankings until much later, after they are somewhat more relevant.

USC also didn't look like a top 10 team early last year and then went nuts. That history is important even though it is a new year. That staff and that QB and that lockerroom turned it on and won games. They can do it again. Of course that doesn't mean they for sure will, but it's something to look out for.

They out talent everyone they will play the rest of the year. That just can't be understated. Of course that doesn't mean they will win every game. They probably will lose at least one. I'm just not sure if the cougs are up to being that team right now.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Isn't there some crazy stat on Washington State being 0-17 vs AP Top 5 at home?
I heard something similar last night on the news. Sounds about right.

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I don't know Clemson lost to unranked Pitt last season. Turned out they were still pretty good.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Terry is nothing but an SC hater, I've notice every comment about SC, its negative. That's okay, lol
Naw, I gave him a bit of a shove and he handled it ok. Just doesn't see things the same way the rest of us do.

There are a lot of people fixated by stats. They have derailed many a gambler. I mean stats with common opponents, maybe a little bit? Still they don't always give you the clues it looks like they should.

TROJAN-MAN

Been around the block more times than the mailman
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Naw, I gave him a bit of a shove and he handled it ok. Just doesn't see things the same way the rest of us do.

There are a lot of people fixated by stats. They have derailed many a gambler. I mean stats with common opponents, maybe a little bit? Still they don't always give you the clues it looks like they should.

Well he strikes me as a causal CFB fan when he refers to Texas as a crap team because they lost their first game in the fashion they did to Maryland. Any serious fan would realize that team started this season with brand new coaches as well completely new systems, they were bound to have major setbacks and hiccups. Texas played a solid game against SC

AlaskaGuy

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,312.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

DKwt_YXU8AAbzzi.jpg