• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

3rd and 9 in the 4th

NinersFan80

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just saw the replay of the the play with a little over two minutes left where Newton hit Smith for a first down. I was looking at the pass rush and noticed something, Dan Skuta was out there and hardly even tried to get to the QB. I know Aldon just got back and everything but in the biggest play of the game and you need a crucial stop why wouldn't you want your best pass rusher on the field??? Even if it isn't Smith why isn't Lemonier on the field?

Cam threw to the side where Skuta was rushing so maybe if Smith or Lemonier were in it would of forced him to go the other way and we get the stop.. I don't understand that call by the coaching staff.

NinerFan52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just saw the same thing on NFL Prime Time. Only thought I had was that he was worried about containment of Cam. I think if Aldon is in they trust him to catch Cam before he runs for those 9 yards if he loses containment. Dan Skuta, not so much...

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Skuta played a pretty good all-around game. I'm sure he had a reason for whatever he was doing. If not, hopefully the coaches will let him know about it.

Although the D certainly played well enough to win, we allowed a lot of third down conversions on those comeback routes. Too many. And the TD was just a disaster. The D clearly isn't the problem right now, but still room for improvement.

MrChangoT97

Dr. Pepper is the bomb
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Harbaugh fucked the team by not going for it on the 4 & 1 on Carolina's goal line in the 1st. The game would have changed if the 49ers scored a TD not a LAME ASS field goal.

NinersFan80

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Skuta played a pretty good all-around game. I'm sure he had a reason for whatever he was doing. If not, hopefully the coaches will let him know about it.

Although the D certainly played well enough to win, we allowed a lot of third down conversions on those comeback routes. Too many. And the TD was just a disaster. The D clearly isn't the problem right now, but still room for improvement.

I don't understand why Skuta was in on a 3rd and 9 anyways. He isn't a pass rusher even though he had a pretty good game. Would you not rather have Smith in there then Skuta??

Kinzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Harbaugh fucked the team by not going for it on the 4 & 1 on Carolina's goal line in the 1st. The game would have changed if the 49ers scored a TD not a LAME ASS field goal.

No he didn't. It was absolute the right move to kick the FG and go up 9-0 with the game only in the 2nd quarter. If anything he played it beautifully by forcing Carolina to burn their last time out before he kicked the FG.

The game was not lost due to coaching and people need to stop using that excuse. The game was lost due to bad penalties and Kaep taking unneeded sacks that changed 2nd and shorts into a 3rd longs all game. Kaep has to start putting his legs to better use to avoid the pass rush. The receivers need to do a better job of breaking off their routes to give him a target in such situations.

The only thing the coaches need to look at it is the pistol formation and the read-option runs. It's pretty clear that defenses have figured out how to stop it so stop using it. The 49ers and Kaep would be better suited to stick to the power run game and use play-action pass and bootlegs like they were with Alex.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
No he didn't. It was absolute the right move to kick the FG and go up 9-0 with the game only in the 2nd quarter. If anything he played it beautifully by forcing Carolina to burn their last time out before he kicked the FG.

The game was not lost due to coaching and people need to stop using that excuse. The game was lost due to bad penalties and Kaep taking unneeded sacks that changed 2nd and shorts into a 3rd longs all game. Kaep has to start putting his legs to better use to avoid the pass rush. The receivers need to do a better job of breaking off their routes to give him a target in such situations.

The only thing the coaches need to look at it is the pistol formation and the read-option runs. It's pretty clear that defenses have figured out how to stop it so stop using it. The 49ers and Kaep would be better suited to stick to the power run game and use play-action pass and bootlegs like they were with Alex.

:agree:

MrChangoT97

Dr. Pepper is the bomb
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Agree or disagree

When you are on the goal line you have to man up and go for the TD. Harbaugh proved he has no confidence in his offense and it continued to show throughout the game.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It sounds like you are saying that last year's offense but plus Kaepernick was so good that it was over promoted to a level where it's not competent this year (at least with our injuries). That if we went back to last year's offense, we'd be fine. Kaepernick may be overqualified for that offense, but as a whole, our offense was over promoted. We'd max out the old offense and that's good enough with our defense. Smith wasn't maxing out our offense due to hesitancies (some were smart because you don't force passes you can't consistently make or don't have strong enough confidence in). But we can't max out our current offense without our reel guys being healthy, so why force it?

Maybe over promote is the wrong word because the pistol/read system isn't necessarily higher up. I guess my thinking was that it seemed we were trying to make the passing game over the running game early in the season when our personnel was too injured and Kaepernick didn't trust who he had. We have since gone back to running.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kinzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It sounds like you are saying that last year's offense but plus Kaepernick was so good that it was over promoted to a level where it's not competent this year (at least with our injuries). That if we went back to last year's offense, we'd be fine. Kaepernick may be overqualified for that offense, but as a whole, our offense was over promoted. We'd max out the old offense and that's good enough with our defense. Smith wasn't maxing out our offense due to hesitancies (some were smart because you don't force passes you can't consistently make or don't have strong enough confidence in). But we can't max out our current offense without our reel guys being healthy, so why force it?

Maybe over promote is the wrong word because the pistol/read system isn't necessarily higher up. I guess my thinking was that it seemed we were trying to make the passing game over the running game early in the season when our personnel was too injured and Kaepernick didn't trust who he had. We have since gone back to running.

Our personal is not suited right now to speading out the field with the pistol. The read-option also just doesn't work when teams are not threatened on the outside by your receivers. Even if they were you can tell DE are playing the read-option so well right now. They rush in and stop in basically never commit one way or another. If anything they are just going straight for the QB and not really worried about the handoff. This works because the rest of the defense is doing a good job of clogging up the running lane and forcing the RB back to the DE or just taking them down. It might work better though if you could spread the linebackers out more. We unfortunately can not do this since we have no passing attack.

Our offensive line and running backs are the best parts of the offense right now. The scheme should be all about getting the most out of that possible. Play-action and Bootlegs are also easier reads for a young QB that is struggling to make them with traditional drop backs. I get they want to use Kaep to his full abilities and have this balanced explosive big play offense, but the personal is just not there to make it work right now.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree or disagree

When you are on the goal line you have to man up and go for the TD. Harbaugh proved he has no confidence in his offense and it continued to show throughout the game.

You take the points there and make it a 2 possession game… I think you guy's made the right call… To early in the game to gamble like that… Anytime you can make a game a 2 possession game you do it...

NinersFan80

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This thread was suppose to be about the defensive play in the 4th as mentioned by me in the first post! Not about the same thing being discussed in 100 other threads

Rathman44

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

No, the 3rd down play screwed us. It was 3rd and 5 and we ran the ball up the middle...Singletary style.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Our personal is not suited right now to speading out the field with the pistol. The read-option also just doesn't work when teams are not threatened on the outside by your receivers. Even if they were you can tell DE are playing the read-option so well right now. They rush in and stop in basically never commit one way or another. If anything they are just going straight for the QB and not really worried about the handoff. This works because the rest of the defense is doing a good job of clogging up the running lane and forcing the RB back to the DE or just taking them down. It might work better though if you could spread the linebackers out more. We unfortunately can not do this since we have no passing attack.

Our offensive line and running backs are the best parts of the offense right now. The scheme should be all about getting the most out of that possible. Play-action and Bootlegs are also easier reads for a young QB that is struggling to make them with traditional drop backs. I get they want to use Kaep to his full abilities and have this balanced explosive big play offense, but the personal is just not there to make it work right now.

fire mangina and hire this guy!

zman1527

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
No, the 3rd down play screwed us. It was 3rd and 5 and we ran the ball up the middle...Singletary style.

Agreed. I thought we had called in Mike Nolan or Mike Singletary to be OC for this game. Conservative as Ted Cruz.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
if the play works, it is brilliant.

if the play doesn't work, its idiotic.

the run on 3rd and 5 might've worked, but that time it didn't. a 20 yard pass play might've worked, but that that time it didn't, ...............

after recalling how many recent posts about running.....ie getting back to OUR basics, don't think that was such a bad call?