• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

30 years ago today: Carson and LT greet Joe Theismann on MNF

Rock Strongo

My mind spits with an enormous kickback.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
nov 18th 1985

Rock Strongo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There are a lot of things that are fairly well known about Joe Theismann.

It's common knowledge that when he was at Notre Dame, the pronunciation of his name was changed from "Theesman" to rhyme with a certain trophy awarded to the country's best college football player (he finished second in the Heisman voting in 1970). It's no secret that he started his pro career in the Canadian Football League. Football fans are well aware that he quarterbacked the Washington Redskins to victory in Super Bowl XVII and that he moved to the broadcast booth when his playing career was over.

But there's one thing that everybody knows about Joe Theismann, and that thing occurred exactly 30 years ago.

On Nov. 18, 1985, New York Giants linebacker Lawrence Taylor pounced on Theismann from behind during the second quarter of a Monday Night Football game at RFK Stadium. It wasn't until the reverse angle of the play was shown that it became clear why Theismann didn't get up after the sack and why Taylor frantically signaled to the sideline for help. The blow caused a gruesome break of Theismann's right leg between the knee and ankle.

The incident has gone on to be more than just another ugly sports injury. Last year, ESPN named the play the No. 2 moment in Monday Night Football history, behind only the Fail Mary. In 2004, when ESPN commemorated the 25th anniversary of the company's founding with a list of the 100 most memorable moments of the era, Theismann's injury came in at No. 75.

While the injury has become an iconic moment in sports and television history, some of the circumstances of the play and its aftermath have faded from memory after three decades. With that in mind, here are 10 things you might not know -- or might not remember -- about the play that ended Theismann's playing career 30 years ago.

she told People Magazine she "joked that his punting game was finished" during the ride). Crosby is best known for co-hosting the early-'80s TV show "That's Incredible!" with John Davidson and NFL Hall of Famer Fran Tarkenton, but she had her own athletic credentials. She was a former tennis player who competed at Wimbledon in 1964, losing in the first round in singles and doubles.

Homer exclaimed, "Oh, great, you made me miss Joe Theismann!"

he told the Washington Post. "And once they stopped, I opened my eyes."

10. He eventually watched the play: Theismann avoided watching video of the injury for 20 years. Initially he thought that seeing exactly what happened could create a mental hurdle that would slow down his recovery. He continued to avoid it (can you blame him?) even after he came to realize he'd never play again. (Taylor has also said he had no desire to ever see it.) Theismann finallyagreed to watch it with a New York Times reporter at the end of 2005.

NEhomer

Hoopla Cash
$ 944.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was watching that night. One of those things you never forget.

BradPittsEvilTwin

Keaton for President '16
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also on that day, th e greatest comic strip ever made its debut....Calvin and Hobbes

packerzrule

Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 30.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll never forget that ABC ran that replay over and over and over again

I couldn't watch it after the first

Rock Strongo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll never forget that ABC ran that replay over and over and over again

I couldn't watch it after the first
the first "gruesome" injury from my time was napoleon mcallum for the raiders

watched this sucker live.

Rock Strongo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I saw that one also, but it looked more like a cartilage/ligament meniscus issue as opposed to a break.
tore everything imaginable in his knee.

i remember this SI cover

Napoleon_McCallum_350.jpg

Hank Kingsley

Undefeated
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's twice today I've sucked up my asshole....

Even thinking about those two makes me do it...

Caliskinsfan

Burgundy & Gold Forevah
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,569.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Horrific moment for Skins fans that will never be forgotten. Only surpassed by the death of Sean Taylor for me.

Saw it live on TV as it happened, never watched the replays or watched the moment again. Once was enough.

Will also never forget LTs reaction either...that's how you knew it was god awful.

Ned_Merrill

Qui n’avance pas, recule
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some other bad memories of MNF for me:

> Bo Jackson demolishes the Seahawks on his 25th birthday in the Kingdome - Nov. 30, 1987
> I lost $2000 on a 10-team parlay when the Bears/Jets game went Over the (2nd half) Total on a game-winning TD run by Jim Harbaugh with seconds left in OT - Sept. 23, 1991

and the absolute worst ...
> I ducked into a bar to catch the MNF half-time highlights from that weekend, and I see a message scrolling along the bottom of the TV screen - John Lennon was shot outside the Dakota - December 8, 1980