• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

25 head coach departures since start of 2014 season.

iowajerms

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,091.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
***Source: College Football Coaching Changes, College Football New Coaches

2014-15 season.

September
  • June Jones announced on September 8 that he was resigning as the head coach of SMU, effective immediately, due to "personal issues".
  • Charlie Weis was fired September 28 after Kansas lost 23-0 at home to Texas to drop to 2-2 this season with the wins coming over FCS member SE Missouri State and the MAC's Central Michigan.

October
  • On October 5, Larry Blakeney announced he will retire from Troy at the end of his 24th season.
  • On October 13, Buffalo fired head coach Jeff Quinn after the Bulls became the first FBS team to lose to hapless Eastern Michigan this season.

November
  • Will Muschamp was fired on November 16, effective at the end of the season, after nearly 4 full seasons as the head coach of Florida.
  • UNLV's Bobby Hauck tendered his resignation on November 28, the day before a season-ending loss to rival Nevada.
  • Mike Riley (from Oregon State) replaces Bo Pelini who was fired from Nebraska on November 30 after finishing the season with a 37-34 overtime win at Iowa to conclude a 9-3 campaign.

December
  • Tulsa relieved Bill Blankenship of his duties on December 1 after four seasons with the Golden Hurricane.
  • Michigan announced December 2 that Brady Hoke was fired as head coach after 4 seasons at the helm.
  • Florida on December 4 announced the hiring of Colorado State head coach Jim McElwain.
  • Houston fired head football coach Tony Levine on December 8 and named defensive coordinator David Gibbs the interim coach for the Armed Forces Bowl on January 2nd against Pittsburgh.
  • Oregon State tweeted on December 10 that it had whisked Gary Andersen away from Wisconsin to replace Mike Riley.
  • On December 17, Wisconsin introduced Paul Chryst as the new head coach. The former offensive coordinator at UW compiled a record of 19-19 overall, 10-13 in league play (Big East, ACC) at Pittsburgh.
January
  • A surprising move came on January 22 when Central Michigan head coach Dan Enos announced he was leaving his position with the Chippewas to take on the task of offensive coordinator under Bret Bielema at Arkansas.

iowajerms

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,091.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2015-16 season

August
  • A week before its opener at home against Kent State, Illinois fired head coach Tim Beckman (August 29) after an investigation into player mistreatment revealed he allegedly meddled in medical issues and inappropriately treated athletes who remained on scholarship after leaving the team.
October
  • Maryland gave Randy Edsall the boot after a 49-28 loss to Ohio State (10/10), though rumors of his impending dismissal came to light in the days leading up to that game.
  • North Texas fired Dan McCarney hours after a 66-7 home loss to FCS member Portland State on Saturday (October 10).
  • Steve Sarkisian was forced to take a leave of absence by USC to deal with personal problems after the 17-12 loss to Washington on Thursday night (October 8). On Monday (October 12), that leave became permanent with the announcement of his firing.
  • Steve Spurrier resigned as the head coach of South Carolina on October 13th, a few days after a 45-24 loss at LSU left the Gamecocks with a 2-4 record.
  • The day after a 59-10 home loss to Houston dropped UCF to 0-8, head coach George O'Leary announced his immediate retirement and the school named quarterbacks coach Danny Barrett as his interim replacement. (October 25)
  • The day after Miami fell to 4-3 with a humiliating 58-0 loss to home to Clemson, Al Golden was sent packing and tight ends coach/running game coordinator Larry Scott was tasked with trying to right the ship for the rest of the season. (October 25)
  • Jerry Kill announced his retirement today (October 28) from Minnesota, effective immediately, due to health reasons.
November
  • Sunday (November 1), Hawaii fired Norm Chow.
  • Frank Beamer announced on Sunday (November 1) that his 29th season at Virginia Tech will be his last as a college football head coach. (Effective end of season)

theboardref

thewhite_00 ESPN board
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
An average of 25.2 coaching changes from 2010-2014 so the number isn't as severe as it seems. More movement expected at seasons end.

iowajerms

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,091.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just wonder what happened to loyalty in college football? Not just coaches showing their loyalty towards the university, but the university towards the coaches. It's weird to think Stoops and Ferentz will be the longest tenured active coaches at season's end with less than 20-year careers. I do want to give Snyder his due.

SeeYouNT

Вы хотели бы некоторые Путина?
Hoopla Cash
$ 291.80
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was a busy October, and so far November is headed in the same direction.

Maybe it will be a quite December?

Tin Man

Loquacious Constituent
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,025.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sellers market... Will we see Mack Brown heading up a program once again? Derek Dooley? Lane Kiffin? Mangino? Jabba Weis? The Vest?

theboardref

thewhite_00 ESPN board
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sellers market... Will we see Mack Brown heading up a program once again? Derek Dooley? Lane Kiffin? Mangino? Jabba Weis? The Vest?
If a program was smart they would stay away. Hell of a coach but the NCAA will have their eyes on him like a hawk. Once he steps out of line you may be screwed.

SeeYouNT

Вы хотели бы некоторые Путина?
Hoopla Cash
$ 291.80
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think someone hires mangino as a HC...possibly in early 2016.

Tressel is still in the middle of a show cause so i don't see him returning until it expires.

I doubt anyone ever hires Weis as a HC again. Kiffin and Dooley would require some desperate schools IMO.

B_dub

Hoopla Cash
$ 547.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have no answer. I just got a good chuckle out of seeing Mangino and Jabba so close to each other. Good work.

B_dub

Hoopla Cash
$ 547.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Will Chuck Strong be on this list?

theboardref

thewhite_00 ESPN board
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Will Chuck Strong be on this list?
Shouldn't be, but may. Can't control a dumpster fire like that in 2 years. Trying to recreate the culture of a program is damn hard to do with a 2 year leash.

Tin Man

Loquacious Constituent
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,025.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, @iowajerms, have you an inkling as to which LSOP HCs, FCS HCs, OCs, and DCs may fill the opening slots?
Will the backfill recycle fallen HCs of days gone by?

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Mangino & Weis will open a mobile donut business. Following college game day around the country for the '16 season.

Tin Man

Loquacious Constituent
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,025.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mangino & Weis will open a mobile donut business. Following college game day around the country for the '16 season.
Big pastries for big appetites. They'll take donuts et al to eclipse the growth in the average size of burgers.

iowajerms

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,091.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, @iowajerms, have you an inkling as to which LSOP HCs, FCS HCs, OCs, and DCs may fill the opening slots?
Will the backfill recycle fallen HCs of days gone by?

I don't get what you are saying, but I will take a guess.

I don't know who is interested where or who. I know Minnesota fans and players want Tracy Claeys as permanent.

I don't see how recycle fallen HCs are days of past. Look at the situation with Wisconsin, Nebraska, and Oregon State.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Big pastries for big appetites. They'll take donuts et al to eclipse the growth in the average size of burgers.

As an added bonus each week they'll know Corso's pick. This way they can make donuts shaped like the mascot.

Tin Man

Loquacious Constituent
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,025.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't get what you are saying, but I will take a guess.

I don't know who is interested where or who. I know Minnesota fans and players want Tracy Claeys as permanent.

I don't see how recycle fallen HCs are days of past. Look at the situation with Wisconsin, Nebraska, and Oregon State.

I was asking if you had a studious list of likely candidates for opening HC gigs. I agree with your take on Minnie and believe that they would be wise to give Claeys the reigns in present circumstances.

iowajerms

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,091.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was asking if you had a studious list of likely candidates for opening HC gigs. I agree with your take on Minnie and believe that they would be wise to give Claeys the reigns in present circumstances.

I don't.