• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2024 Official Seahawk Draft thread

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with this more or less. I fully expect the obvious guys(Adams, Dissly, Money) to get cut pretty quickly. I also expect Diggs and Lockett to get cut or restructure.

Some other guys will really depend on how Macdonald sees them. Jones and Reed in particular I could see us moving on from if Macdonald doesn't see them as fitting what he is trying to do.

But the truth is that all of these cuts are going to come with a lot of cap hits for this year. Just replacing those guys will be a priority.

Oh Diggs is gone for sure. He was one of the worst FS' in the league last year and is NO WAY worth $21M in cap when we can get $10M on the spot right now for cutting. Adams is a more - do you cut post 6/1 and push the cap into future years. I know that leaves a hole at FS but the safety free agency class is actually pretty deep.

Try to find a serviceable free safety and spend your draft capital on more expensive positions like the trenches or maybe even QB.

Frankly I see:
Adams post 6/1 cut: $16M (if he retires we should appeal for cash back - you can do this although it's rare and a commissioner decision)
Diggs cut: $10M
Dissly cut: $7M
Mone cut: $5M
Bellore cut: $3M
Eskridge cut: $1.6M

With $15M cap currently, that gives us $57.5M to play with. Enough to resign Williams, find a decent FS and some IOL... and be a bit more flexible in the draft. And then that just leaves WTF to do with Lockett who is NO WAY worth $26M in cap this year but at least the guy sees the field so maybe $15M of his cap hit is warranted? Either you somehow resign him to longer or you just rip that band-aid off and get $7M in more cap.

Last edited:

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LB Payton wilson blew the doors off the combine, not sure where he is supposed to go but could a possibility

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If this draft is deep in certain positions, then a trade back to snag a 2nd should be the idea. Can't get a second than draft BPA to fill a hole.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If this draft is deep in certain positions, then a trade back to snag a 2nd should be the idea. Can't get a second than draft BPA to fill a hole.

It's a good WR, QB, OT draft.. sadly we really don't need those outside of QB of the future... I agree if we don't want a QB in the first trade all the way back to the 2nd... snag guards, maybe Frazier, and some of the ILBs and later DLs... McCarthy and/or Nix will likely be there at 16 (really depends on what Atlanta/Denver does)... just depends if Schneider wants either of them.. if he does and likes them, I'm supportive, as Schneider has an excellent track record with scouting/selecting QBs (or influencing the decision).

I think with Schneider basically confirming Geno is the starter in 2024, they'll look to trade down, shore up IOL, IDL and ILB and possibly spend a 3rd or 4th on a QB of the future (someone like Rattler, or Milton). Milton is definitely a development prospect so Geno would have to stick around 100% this year anyway.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's a good WR, QB, OT draft.. sadly we really don't need those outside of QB of the future... I agree if we don't want a QB in the first trade all the way back to the 2nd... snag guards, maybe Frazier, and some of the ILBs and later DLs... McCarthy and/or Nix will likely be there at 16 (really depends on what Atlanta/Denver does)... just depends if Schneider wants either of them.. if he does and likes them, I'm supportive, as Schneider has an excellent track record with scouting/selecting QBs (or influencing the decision).

I think with Schneider basically confirming Geno is the starter in 2024, they'll look to trade down, shore up IOL, IDL and ILB and possibly spend a 3rd or 4th on a QB of the future (someone like Rattler, or Milton). Milton is definitely a development prospect so Geno would have to stick around 100% this year anyway.
The only QB I see Seattle taking is Penix cause of the relationship with Grubb but I don't think they go that route now with Geno penciled in as the starter. Trade down and get some picks.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only QB I see Seattle taking is Penix cause of the relationship with Grubb but I don't think they go that route now with Geno penciled in as the starter. Trade down and get some picks.
Danger with doing that is what if Father time has an effect on Geno's play and instead of being QB 16 he becomes QB 24? 2025 QB class looks weak at QB both in star power and depth.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Danger with doing that is what if Father time has an effect on Geno's play and instead of being QB 16 he becomes QB 24? 2025 QB class looks weak at QB both in star power and depth.
It's a double edge sword and if Geno goes off the deep end than Seattle will probably drafting top 5 next year. Also there are mocks of Penix dropping in the draft. Remember, Baker is still out there and Fields will get traded so that's 2 teams that'll have their QB plus Russ is likely a FA and could find a home. 2025 may look weak but we won't know till next years season is complete.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Good point Harold... I mean IMO you take a QB of the future this draft in the 3rd-4th round range (Rattler, Milton maybe with the 4th rounder) or you extend Geno now to reduce the massive cap hit in 2025. The 2025 QB class is pretty mediocre.... there's a lot of good QB talent in this draft... so you either need to pull the trigger on one of those options or extend Geno while he just came off a season where he got injured, did OKAY but not great, and missed all his bonuses - so he should be around $30M a year.

I think it's either draft a QB to start in 2025 and cut Geno then, or extend him this season and plan to draft your successor in 2026 and go all in. You got Nelson, Manning, Nico, couple others that SHOULD be solid (obviously two years out.. hard to predict where that'll be). 2026 should be a decent QB class while to your point 2025 is a little lackluster.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's a double edge sword and if Geno goes off the deep end than Seattle will probably drafting top 5 next year. Also there are mocks of Penix dropping in the draft. Remember, Baker is still out there and Fields will get traded so that's 2 teams that'll have their QB plus Russ is likely a FA and could find a home. 2025 may look weak but we won't know till next years season is complete.

Mike Evans just resigned with Tampa (2 years $56M). I have a funny feeling Baker will stay put.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good point Harold... I mean IMO you take a QB of the future this draft in the 3rd-4th round range (Rattler, Milton maybe with the 4th rounder) or you extend Geno now to reduce the massive cap hit in 2025. The 2025 QB class is pretty mediocre.... there's a lot of good QB talent in this draft... so you either need to pull the trigger on one of those options or extend Geno while he just came off a season where he got injured, did OKAY but not great, and missed all his bonuses - so he should be around $30M a year.

I think it's either draft a QB to start in 2025 and cut Geno then, or extend him this season and plan to draft your successor in 2026 and go all in. You got Nelson, Manning, Nico, couple others that SHOULD be solid (obviously two years out.. hard to predict where that'll be). 2026 should be a decent QB class while to your point 2025 is a little lackluster.
Definitely do not extend a QB who's time is running out. At this point you can cut him next season and save 25 million in cap space and only eat 13.5 million. Not sure what the Seahawks would do for a QB (if they haven't drafted one this season). Hopefully they don't paint themselves into a corner like that and draft a viable candidate for QB of the future this draft ( should of traded up with the Bears last season).

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Definitely do not extend a QB who's time is running out. At this point you can cut him next season and save 25 million in cap space and only eat 13.5 million. Not sure what the Seahawks would do for a QB (if they haven't drafted one this season). Hopefully they don't paint themselves into a corner like that and draft a viable candidate for QB of the future this draft ( should of traded up with the Bears last season).

Eh, maybe. I really wanted Stroud... I thought he might've been there at 5. Only reason I suggested extending Geno was if Seattle has no plans to draft a QB this year... I don't like 2025's QB class, and if you're going with Geno this year and next, by 2026 (strong QB class) he should also be cheap to cut. If Geno has a season like 2022 this year, he's going to want a big paycheck, and if we have no other option at QB with a weak class, that puts us in a weird or forced position.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Eh, maybe. I really wanted Stroud... I thought he might've been there at 5. Only reason I suggested extending Geno was if Seattle has no plans to draft a QB this year... I don't like 2025's QB class, and if you're going with Geno this year and next, by 2026 (strong QB class) he should also be cheap to cut. If Geno has a season like 2022 this year, he's going to want a big paycheck, and if we have no other option at QB with a weak class, that puts us in a weird or forced position.
Let's say the Seahawks don't draft a QB of the future this season. If Geno plays badly you have the option of cutting him ( and signing someone dirt cheap) or simply let him finish his contract and draft the QB of the future in 2026. If he plays well you don't extend him, you let him play out his contract and draft the QB of the future in 2026.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let's say the Seahawks don't draft a QB of the future this season. If Geno plays badly you have the option of cutting him ( and signing someone dirt cheap) or simply let him finish his contract and draft the QB of the future in 2026. If he plays well you don't extend him, you let him play out his contract and draft the QB of the future in 2026.

Well, his cap hit next year is almost $40M. My thought is if you can extend him now to keep 2025 at $30M (or so) and still only take a cap hit over $15-$20M or so in 2026... I'd do it.. that's assuming Seattle doesn't take a QB this year.... Geno is going to be fairly cheap at the moment based on the 2023 performance.

My concern (a good concern) is Geno actually plays well in 2024 and DEMANDS a new contract in 2025 (with higher salary) or a trade to a team more cap than us, and we have no viable other option but to draft a QB in a weak 2025 class.

Now that's all negated if we draft a QB in 2024... but if we don't, what then? Sure, we can cut Geno next year, but that is reliant upon drafting a QB this year or in a weaker class next...

Point being, if we come out of this draft without a QB of the future and then leave Geno's contract as is.. we're SUPER exposed in 2025... If Geno plays good, we played ourselves (he'll want a larger contract) and if he plays like crap, we're still exposed.

I dunno, I guess the more I think on it, Seattle should just draft a QB this year... new regimes generally mean new QBs anyway.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, his cap hit next year is almost $40M. My thought is if you can extend him now to keep 2025 at $30M (or so) and still only take a cap hit over $15-$20M or so in 2026... I'd do it.. that's assuming Seattle doesn't take a QB this year.... Geno is going to be fairly cheap at the moment based on the 2023 performance.

My concern (a good concern) is Geno actually plays well in 2024 and DEMANDS a new contract in 2025 (with higher salary) or a trade to a team more cap than us, and we have no viable other option but to draft a QB in a weak 2025 class.

Now that's all negated if we draft a QB in 2024... but if we don't, what then? Sure, we can cut Geno next year, but that is reliant upon drafting a QB this year or in a weaker class next...

Point being, if we come out of this draft without a QB of the future and then leave Geno's contract as is.. we're SUPER exposed in 2025... If Geno plays good, we played ourselves (he'll want a larger contract) and if he plays like crap, we're still exposed.

I dunno, I guess the more I think on it, Seattle should just draft a QB this year... new regimes generally mean new QBs anyway.
Geno plays well then demands a new contract or a trade I say tell him to fuck off, he can just retire if he likes but no new contract, a trade may be fine if one worth considering can be found for 35 year old Geno, but not sure there would be a trade market for a QB of Geno stature who is 35 and wants to be shown the MONEY. He's scheduled to make 38.5 million in 2025, how much more could he think he is worth....50 million, 45 million I doubt any team wants a part of that.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Geno plays well then demands a new contract or a trade I say tell him to fuck off, he can just retire if he likes but no new contract, a trade may be fine if one worth considering can be found for 35 year old Geno, but not sure there would be a trade market for a QB of Geno stature who is 35 and wants to be shown the MONEY.

Mmm... alright fair.

So, would you draft a QB this year? Interestingly enough, I forgot Drew Lock is a free agent.... so we only have one on the active roster.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mmm... alright fair.

So, would you draft a QB this year? Interestingly enough, I forgot Drew Lock is a free agent.... so we only have one on the active roster.
Hell yes, failure to do so would be a colossal mistake for all the reasons discussed.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Baker might have to come down on his offer.

Perhaps, what's also interesting is now Wilson may pretty much be 'free' to some teams. He gets paid by Denver either way and he may want to stick it to Payton/Waltons... Would be interesting to see if he'll sign for chump change over the next couple years.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Perhaps, what's also interesting is now Wilson may pretty much be 'free' to some teams. He gets paid by Denver either way and he may want to stick it to Payton/Waltons... Would be interesting to see if he'll sign for chump change over the next couple years.
Bucs should jump in on the Russ sweepstakes. Baker had a good year but even the Bucs know there's no way to give him whatever amount he's asking. Be kind of interesting and must see tv if the Raiders signed Russ.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bucs should jump in on the Russ sweepstakes. Baker had a good year but even the Bucs know there's no way to give him whatever amount he's asking. Be kind of interesting and must see tv if the Raiders signed Russ.

I wonder if Atlanta will make a move. A decent OL, London, Robinson, Pitts... an average defense... I think he'd have it pretty good there and the Falcons have a top 10 pick, dome stadium, and Ciara was born in Atlanta... I know Cousins is strongly linked to Atlanta... but you'll still have to pay Cousins way more than Wilson... Cousins is gonna be 36 when the season starts so I don't know how viable that really is... I know Falcons are in win now but is Cousins going to be that much better than Wilson in 2024?