• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2024 Hall of Fame Ballot

Cedrique

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Only issues with Posada is he was very slow even by catcher standards, and he wasn't great defensively by any means. Certainly one of the best hitting catchers of all-time. I wouldn't argue with him getting in.
What is your opinion on Utley? I think he got about 25% of the vote but when you look at it, he has a lot of similarities to Mauer.

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What is your opinion on Utley? I think he got about 25% of the vote but when you look at it, he has a lot of similarities to Mauer.

feels like 2nd basemen have a tougher road, see Grich/Whitaker/Randolph. Utley doesn't have a ton of hardware (never finished higher than 7th in MVP voting; which is absurd as he had five consecutive top 3 WAR finishes) and never won a Gold Glove, which runs contrary to defensive metrics rating him as an excellent defensive player.

28.8% isn't a bad start, though there's work to be done. I think the biggest question is how many votes he gains in the next few years... if he can get to 50%+ in 2-3 years I think he'll eventually get in.

I think he should be in. Awesome peak (05-10) and still provided plenty of value when he was healthy (14.2 WAR from 11-14) and finished with 64.5. His JAWS is in line with the average HOF 2B, but he has a much higher WAR7 than the average HOFer.

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Meanwhile, guys like these have HOF votes. Mazz thought Beltre played with Palmeiro and Pudge on the Rangers and forgot he was a 3rd baseman.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
feels like 2nd basemen have a tougher road, see Grich/Whitaker/Randolph. Utley doesn't have a ton of hardware (never finished higher than 7th in MVP voting; which is absurd as he had five consecutive top 3 WAR finishes) and never won a Gold Glove, which runs contrary to defensive metrics rating him as an excellent defensive player.

28.8% isn't a bad start, though there's work to be done. I think the biggest question is how many votes he gains in the next few years... if he can get to 50%+ in 2-3 years I think he'll eventually get in.

I think he should be in. Awesome peak (05-10) and still provided plenty of value when he was healthy (14.2 WAR from 11-14) and finished with 64.5. His JAWS is in line with the average HOF 2B, but he has a much higher WAR7 than the average HOFer.

yea, utley is an interesting one... he is a great example of analytics vs everything else...

he is even a little forgettable...

he does have a WS championship, so at least theres that...

Cedrique

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yeah that's what I was thinking. It seemed like he could have picked up a couple gold gloves based on his defensive ratings on baseball reference.

Cedrique

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yea, utley is an interesting one... he is a great example of analytics vs everything else...

Yeah definitely not a charismatic guy, lol. Even people in Philadelphia that watched his whole career probably only remember him ever saying 3 words. And that was at the parade the time they won the world series. "World Fucking Champions". That's it. Just totally low key blue collar. Maybe that's why they overlooked him in some of the awards.

Pure Steel

Hoopla Cash
$ 402.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah definitely not a charismatic guy, lol. Even people in Philadelphia that watched his whole career probably only remember him ever saying 3 words. And that was at the parade the time they won the world series. "World Fucking Champions". That's it. Just totally low key blue collar. Maybe that's why they overlooked him in some of the awards.

He’s probably most remembered for his slide into 2nd…..

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Always felt like he was overshadowed by Ryan Howard and his gaudy HR/RBI totals, and even Rollins to some extent.

Cedrique

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He’s probably most remembered for his slide into 2nd…..
Yeah the weird thing about that is that that wasn't him doing something different because he was in the playoffs. He did that every single time for his entire career before that and no one was talking about rule changes. And as far as I can remember that was the only time anyone was injured, other than himself.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Always felt like he was overshadowed by Ryan Howard and his gaudy HR/RBI totals, and even Rollins to some extent.

The thing with Utley, and players like utley, he was so good because he was both very good offensively and very good defensively... But not SPECIAL at either...

When you have other players to compare him with like Rollins and Howard on his own team, and Robinson Cano who was the OTHER best player at his position. those three players had a lot more flashy numbers...

Howard with the HRs, Rollins with the SBs... and cano who was a better hitter than Utley...

IMO, offense gets you in the HOF not defense... unless you are SPECIAL defensively... and although Utley was a great defender, i dont think he was good enough to get him in for his defense...

if my vote counted, which it doesnt... I would not vote Utley in... but he is definitely on the fence...

Cedrique

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah Rollins and Utley were a big part of Howards gaudy RBI numbers. You got Chase on first and Jimmy on 3rd and Ryan rolls one over you know Chase ain't letting that double play happen.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
true that there is a changing of the guard... but the old ways are still the majority... otherwise there would be no reason for ARoid, Bonds, and clemens not to be in the HOF already...
ARod is a totally different case from B&C. ARod actually failed enforceable tests. He, unquestionably, broke the rules. B&C did not. They were following the OFFICIAL rules, even if they went against the nature of the rules.

I am currently not “voting” for ARod, while I am an adamant defender of B&C.

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He had a monster effort in the 2009 WS, unfortunately it wasn't enough

I'd also lump in Sandberg (and best of luck to him, he was just diagnosed with cancer) as a comp for Utley.

VikingFan2k2

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Aren't Bobby Abreu's offensive numbers better than Utley's across the board? Yet it seems like he's getting no attention at all.

I won't have a problem if Utley gets in, but I think that he has an uphill battle.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Aren't Bobby Abreu's offensive numbers better than Utley's across the board? Yet it seems like he's getting no attention at all.

I won't have a problem if Utley gets in, but I think that he has an uphill battle.
Corner OF vs 2B.

Totally different bars to clear.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Corner OF vs 2B.

Totally different bars to clear.
I was thinking about this, and think the offensive leveling for positions are something like this (highest bar to lowest bar)…

DH
1B
LF
RF
3B
CF
2B
SS
C

Of course more goes into looking at players than just position played and offensive numbers, but I think if you are going to compare 2 players, keeping this admittedly rough chart in mind should help.

Cedrique

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yeah I think Utley's chances to make it depend on how much weight voters put on his "prime" years. If you rank his WAR3, WAR5, WAR7 against 2nd basemen all time he ranks 6,7,and 8. But those 4 years in LA didn't do much outside of dilute his lifetime stats like OPS and stuff. I'd like to see him make it but I could see it go either way.

Abreu was a really good hitter. But it could be the comparisons with other great hitters at the position that is holding him back.

Last edited:

Cedrique

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was thinking about this, and think the offensive leveling for positions are something like this (highest bar to lowest bar)…

DH
1B
LF
RF
3B
CF
2B
SS
C

Of course more goes into looking at players than just position played and offensive numbers, but I think if you are going to compare 2 players, keeping this admittedly rough chart in mind should help.
I never looked at all the positions in detail but that seems like a good rough chart. You can kind of see the progression when guys come up from the minors and it usually plays out about like that. Catcher is it's own thing because a lot of guys just can't do it so I'll put that to the side.

So when a player first comes up, if he's really good he'll start out at shortstop. But if he has an arm but maybe not the footwork or range they may move him to third. (also if he goes to a team that has Derek Jeter) If he doesn't have the arm but is a good fielder they may move him to 2nd. Sometimes a 2b-ss type player gets moved to centerfield if he's being blocked by another player. But if for whatever reason he isn't good enough at center, he isn't going to right or left unless he's a better hitter than the average 2b. Third basemen usually play til their defensive skills diminish then move to 1b. Centerfielders usually move to the corner if they start becoming a liability defensively.

That's why I'm always leery when a team is talking about a free agent at shortstop, 2nd, catcher and they say "well he could eventually move to first base/DH. It's true that they eventually could but that players value goes down significantly when they move to one of those positions.
For an example, wait a few years when the Phillies are undoubtedly trading Trea Turner while paying a large portion of his salary.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah I think Utley's chances to make it depend on how much weight voters put on his "prime" years. If you rank his WAR3, WAR5, WAR7 against 2nd basemen all time he ranks 6,7,and 8. But those 4 years in LA didn't do much outside of dilute his lifetime stats like OPS and stuff. I'd like to see him make it but I could see it go either way.

Abreu was a really good hitter. But it could be the comparisons with other great hitters at the position that is holding him back.
Precisely why I all but ignore lifetime rate stats. Why should a guy be penalized for continuing to play because he just loves the game? Rickey was a shell of his all-time self for the last 10 years or so. That did detract from his awesomeness, imho. That ADDED to it, since he loved the game so much he was going to play as long as someone would give him a jersey.