• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2023 NFL coaching hires

Bandit

RIP to the real Bandit
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports the Commanders will interview Chiefs OC Eric Bieniemy for the same position on Thursday.​

The long-awaited interview between Bieniemy and Ron Rivera has finally been locked in. The Commanders have been vocal about their desire to speak to the two-time Super Bowl-winning offensive coordinator and now have their chance to do so. The union between Bieniemy and Rivera would be an interesting one should it come to fruition, as Bieniemy has orchestrated one of the more pass-heavy offenses in the league with Patrick Mahomes, while Rivera is on record as wanting a 2-to-1 run to pass ratio in 2023. While a pass-heavy offense is much easier to run with a two-time MVP in Mahomes, it's hard to imagine Bieniemy buying into a stone-age style of football after five years of success with the Chiefs. A potential front-runner to land the Commanders' offensive coordinator role, there are legitimate questions about how these two coaches could mesh philosophically.

Bienemy deserves a shot somewhere to show that he can get the job done. Too many teams have used the crutch of the Chiefs offense being all Andy Reid and he keeps getting overlooked. Maybe that's the case, but the dude has more than proven he's worthy of a chance to run his own show.
For Christ's sake, Nathaniel Hackett got ahead coaching gig by being a glorified version of Aaron Rodgers' QB coach, that offense was all Lafluer and Rodgers, not Hackett, and he got a shot. It's time NFL.

I don't understand why Bienemy would make a lateral move as offensive coordinator somewhere else. If he's going to leave, you have to think he'd have to be a head coach somewhere. Why would you leave the best job in the league unless you're one of those crazy ass people that wants to work harder for less results?

TREFF

Fantasy Football Guru--??
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't understand why Bienemy would make a lateral move as offensive coordinator somewhere else. If he's going to leave, you have to think he'd have to be a head coach somewhere. Why would you leave the best job in the league unless you're one of those crazy ass people that wants to work harder for less results?
The only reason I can think of..is to get out from the Andy Reid shadow, be the play caller, so that come next hiring cycle, no one can use Andy Reid as an excuse.

That's what I think anyways. Could be he's just ready for a different situation too

leftypower

THE NFL HAS GONE TO HELL
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, I'm not gonna get trapped into the racial discussion - no one would give 2 cents for my opinion anyway. ... But I will offer this totally non-racial thought to the convo; who in their right mind would leave KC for a shithole like D.C. in a lateral position ?? I think it's simply smoke and mirrors. ..

leftypower

THE NFL HAS GONE TO HELL
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, I'm not gonna get trapped into the racial discussion - no one would give 2 cents for my opinion anyway. ... But I will offer this totally non-racial thought to the convo; who in their right mind would leave KC for a shithole like D.C. in a lateral position ?? I think it's simply smoke and mirrors. ..
Well, all indications are that guy is Bienemy. ... interesting decision, but I guess he has reasons that escape me..

TREFF

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, all indications are that guy is Bienemy. ... interesting decision, but I guess he has reasons that escape me..
I'm at least title, it's not an entirely lateral move. He got the "assistant head coach" title in DC in addition to OC.
I dunno if that means anything in the real world, but he's got the title

TREFF

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And Joe's favorite coach, Matt Nagy, replaces Bienemy. And becomes the new version of Josh McDaniels, waiting for the head honcho to step down and take over. Hang on as long as you can Andy!!!

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bienemy deserves a shot somewhere to show that he can get the job done. Too many teams have used the crutch of the Chiefs offense being all Andy Reid and he keeps getting overlooked. Maybe that's the case, but the dude has more than proven he's worthy of a chance to run his own show.
For Christ's sake, Nathaniel Hackett got ahead coaching gig by being a glorified version of Aaron Rodgers' QB coach, that offense was all Lafluer and Rodgers, not Hackett, and he got a shot. It's time NFL.

There is more to it.

Apparently he doesn’t interview very well.

And also, he was essentially blamed for offensive dysfunction in the AFC championship game last year.

Right or wrong, I don’t think it particularly difficult to find success as an OC in a Mahomes led offense. He does it in Washington?

He will get a head job instantly.

TREFF

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is more to it.

Apparently he doesn’t interview very well.

And also, he was essentially blamed for offensive dysfunction in the AFC championship game last year.

Right or wrong, I don’t think it particularly difficult to find success as an OC in a Mahomes led offense. He does it in Washington?

He will get a head job instantly.
well sure, I mean there is always 'more to it'.
I just don't understand how horrible do you have to be at interviewing for an owner/GM to take a recommendation from Andy Friggin Reid and say, "nahh..we're going in another direction.", y aknow? How bad could he possibly be in an interview for that to mean nothing?

If you even brushed shoulders with Sean McVay, someone wants to hire you as an OC or a HC, and here's a dude who's been side by side with Reid, who couldn't get a second look..just boggles my mind is all

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well sure, I mean there is always 'more to it'.
I just don't understand how horrible do you have to be at interviewing for an owner/GM to take a recommendation from Andy Friggin Reid and say, "nahh..we're going in another direction.", y aknow? How bad could he possibly be in an interview for that to mean nothing?

If you even brushed shoulders with Sean McVay, someone wants to hire you as an OC or a HC, and here's a dude who's been side by side with Reid, who couldn't get a second look..just boggles my mind is all

Treff,

I think you and I could call plays for the Chiefs and get them to 12 wins.

A lot of successful coordinators on elite coaching trees bust.

I really haven’t seen much to make me feel strongly about Bienemy either way.

DeMeco Ryans looks like a stud. Bienemy I just don’t have a feel for.

Which is why he moved.

TREFF

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Treff,

I think you and I could call plays for the Chiefs and get them to 12 wins.

A lot of successful coordinators on elite coaching trees bust.

I really haven’t seen much to make me feel strongly about Bienemy either way.

DeMeco Ryans looks like a stud. Bienemy I just don’t have a feel for.

Which is why he moved.
I think there are a good dozen teams that would benefit from you or I calling the plays :)

I have high hopes for Ryan's too, I think he'll be great.

As to Bienemy, I'm just voicing my disbelief is all, not trying to activate a debate. More of a rhetorical statement of disbelief than a true, "please explain this to me".

I just find it unbelievable that the guy who washed A Rodgers jock gets a HC job, the guy who polished Shanny Jr's shoes gets a HC job, McVay and Belechik disciples get jobs at the drop of a hat, yet the Andy Reid coaching tree just ain't gonna get ot done without a stellar interview

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think there are a good dozen teams that would benefit from you or I calling the plays :)

I have high hopes for Ryan's too, I think he'll be great.

As to Bienemy, I'm just voicing my disbelief is all, not trying to activate a debate. More of a rhetorical statement of disbelief than a true, "please explain this to me".

I just find it unbelievable that the guy who washed A Rodgers jock gets a HC job, the guy who polished Shanny Jr's shoes gets a HC job, McVay and Belechik disciples get jobs at the drop of a hat, yet the Andy Reid coaching tree just ain't gonna get ot done without a stellar interview
I'm going to give control of my whole organization to a runningback?

Any former RB coaches out there?

Duce Staley has been slow to move up even though he's been reportedly great all the time.

TREFF

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm going to give control of my whole organization to a runningback?

Any former RB coaches out there?

Duce Staley has been slow to move up even though he's been reportedly great all the time.
I guess my question would be, regardless of the name of the guy in question, what difference does it make what position the guy played? no longer a conversation about Beinemy or Staley for that matter..but what difference does it make?

tons of coaches never played in the NFL period- McVay, Belechik, John Harbaugh, Tomlin, Jimmy Johnson, Bill friggin Walsh, Pete Carrol, Andy Reid, neither Shannahan-none ever played a down..and on and on and on..and the list of positions that they did play in college or high school varies from QB's to OL to WR to DB's to DL, and all with varying degrees of success, none of which have any measurable correlation to the positions that they played.

Dan Reeves was a RB, he led the Broncos and Falcons very respectably, coached in 4 super bowls

John Elway was a HOF QB and once he had full control of the franchise, he ran the entire Broncos franchise into the ground..below it in fact.

Many of the best coaches in the history of the game, including modern day, never played any position in the NFL, and many of the biggest failures played positions where you'd assume high football IQ-Elway (not a coach, but definitely put in charge of the franchise), Singletary,

If anyone is making the determination as to who their next HC will be based off of what position they played, that person has no business being in a position to make that call in the first place.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess my question would be, regardless of the name of the guy in question, what difference does it make what position the guy played? no longer a conversation about Beinemy or Staley for that matter..but what difference does it make?

tons of coaches never played in the NFL period- McVay, Belechik, John Harbaugh, Tomlin, Jimmy Johnson, Bill friggin Walsh, Pete Carrol, Andy Reid, neither Shannahan-none ever played a down..and on and on and on..and the list of positions that they did play in college or high school varies from QB's to OL to WR to DB's to DL, and all with varying degrees of success, none of which have any measurable correlation to the positions that they played.

Dan Reeves was a RB, he led the Broncos and Falcons very respectably, coached in 4 super bowls

John Elway was a HOF QB and once he had full control of the franchise, he ran the entire Broncos franchise into the ground..below it in fact.

Many of the best coaches in the history of the game, including modern day, never played any position in the NFL, and many of the biggest failures played positions where you'd assume high football IQ-Elway (not a coach, but definitely put in charge of the franchise), Singletary,

If anyone is making the determination as to who their next HC will be based off of what position they played, that person has no business being in a position to make that call in the first place.
If runningbacks come into the room and appear dumb would that surprise you?

Dan Reeves was a long time ago, but at least there's one to point to. Safeties, linebackers, QBs, Oline, TE. That's where you find the thinkers that appear ready to coach.

TREFF

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If runningbacks come into the room and appear dumb would that surprise you?

Dan Reeves was a long time ago, but at least there's one to point to. Safeties, linebackers, QBs, Oline, TE. That's where you find the thinkers that appear ready to coach.
That's a dangerous, severe oversimplification and ridiculous generalization.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bienemy has a lot of legal baggage. And is a hardass, old school motivator. Not a savant with the X’s and O’s .

That isn’t exactly what owners and FOs are seeking to lead their teams and hold press conferences currently.

I will be surprised if he ever is an NFL HC.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's a dangerous, severe oversimplification and ridiculous generalization.
Well we aren't in the interviews. I've never asked bieniemy even one question directly.

TREFF

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Broncos land on Vance Joseph, their former HC just a few short years ago, as their DC...weird, but, he is good at being a DC

averagejoe

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When bad teams go through a coaching change, a lot of candidates may either come from good coaching trees, were considered good at their position, last coaching gig, or just happened to peak (get noticed) at the perfect time (hence, the hiring).

The seargent in Forrest Gump thought he was a genius.