• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2023 Draft - Bears Edition

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It feels weird taking a RT at 10, but that o-line should be pretty damn good here for the next few years.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Braxton Jones, Tevin Jenkins, Whitehair, Davis, Wright

Seems like that group could maul some mawfks.
Poles said one of his biggest traits he likes to see in his linemen is violence. It seems so far this group will be offering just that. However, I bolded Whitehair because it's still possible that he'll be a post-June 1st cut. Let's see who Poles takes with his following picks. Grabbing a center early might say a lot.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Poles said one of his biggest traits he likes to see in his linemen is violence. It seems so far this group will be offering just that. However, I bolded Whitehair because it's still possible that he'll be a post-June 1st cut. Let's see who Poles takes with his following picks. Grabbing a center early might say a lot.
I get it, but our D-line needs SERIOUS improvement. It was as bad as any unit I've ever seen last year.

I want a plug and play EDGE or DT next.

Our o-line is good. Grab a Center later to back up, and/or replace Whitehair.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get it, but our D-line needs SERIOUS improvement. It was as bad as any unit I've ever seen last year.

I want a plug and play EDGE or DT next.

Our o-line is good. Grab a Center later to back up, and/or replace Whitehair.
You're preaching to the choir brother!! On my mock, I have DE/Edge Foskey and DT Benton for my next two picks. Not sure if either will be there at 53 & 61 respectively - especially Foskey. But we can hope!!!!!

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, now that day one has come to a close, we can reflect on our choice or better put, our lack of choice. No doubt Jalen Carter, who Poles could have chosen, almost stands alone with respect to his talent. I know many Bear diehards, not just on this board, but in all of Bears fandom, were hoping we'd take him and I respect that. But I've been leery of his attitude in general and how he composed himself in the offseason. How he handled the accident, which led to two fatalities, sure didn't help his cause. Yet to me, the clincher was him showing up at his pro day overweight and out of shape. This was the one time where he had the opportunity to at least partially, if not fully redeem himself. But he blew it. From that point forward I was on the 'please don't draft Carter' bandwagon. So my take is he'll probably come out of the gates swinging and kicking ass in his rookie season. But what about years 2, 3, 4, and so on. Not at all convinced he'll have staying power.

Jiddy

I wear my Meatball Badge with honor.
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Our next two picks will probably be a center and that dlineman out of northwestern…

justanidiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Poles got the guy he wanted. Never heard til last night about Skoronskis short arms and most likely needs to play inside. We got a RT for the right side, not a LT who will have to settle at RT. Really cant buy the biggest need since the team was up on the top the league in rushing and who can really block for a QB who does not stay in the pocket, but I gotta agree with giving Fields everything he could use as an excuse when you are about to drop 270 million on him.
Pretty amazed at Houston, pretty much goes with my line of thinking of what are you going to do with 11 draft picks other than cut to try to get on your practice squad.

How many hours before Burrow gets a few million more to become the highest paid player ever?

BearsWillWin

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pretty amazed at Houston, pretty much goes with my line of thinking of what are you going to do with 11 draft picks other than cut to try to get on your practice squad.

Saying a team has too many draft pick remains the dumbest thing ever typed on the internet.

justanidiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Poles wanted Paris Johnson Jr. Poles got the 2nd guy he wanted.
I think he likes Braxton on the left side and moving Paris to right or "demoting" Jones to right would have caused more grief on the line.
All these picks he is gathering are not going to make the team, so if he wanted Paris he could have moved up to get him.

Jiddy

I wear my Meatball Badge with honor.
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Poles wanted Paris Johnson Jr. Poles got the 2nd guy he wanted.
Maybe…depends who they thought was a better RT. Since Johnson played LT and guard I wouldn’t be so certain.

cwalke3408

Hoopla Cash
$ 8.57
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, now that day one has come to a close, we can reflect on our choice or better put, our lack of choice. No doubt Jalen Carter, who Poles could have chosen, almost stands alone with respect to his talent. I know many Bear diehards, not just on this board, but in all of Bears fandom, were hoping we'd take him and I respect that. But I've been leery of his attitude in general and how he composed himself in the offseason. How he handled the accident, which led to two fatalities, sure didn't help his cause. Yet to me, the clincher was him showing up at his pro day overweight and out of shape. This was the one time where he had the opportunity to at least partially, if not fully redeem himself. But he blew it. From that point forward I was on the 'please don't draft Carter' bandwagon. So my take is he'll probably come out of the gates swinging and kicking ass in his rookie season. But what about years 2, 3, 4, and so on. Not at all convinced he'll have staying power.
It was going to come down to the interviews and the fact that multiple teams passed on him speaks for itself. With such a young locker room, it would have been bold for us to take on Carter. Eagles on the other hand was the best possible landing spot for Carter who has plenty of Georgia guys to babysit the kid.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was going to come down to the interviews and the fact that multiple teams passed on him speaks for itself. With such a young locker room, it would have been bold for us to take on Carter. Eagles on the other hand was the best possible landing spot for Carter who has plenty of Georgia guys to babysit the kid.
Well stated. And speaking of interviews or in this case workout performances:

Here's my favorite part and to me what defines Wright:

Bears offensive line coach Chris Morgan met with Tennessee right tackle Darnell Wright on his home turf — the Volunteers’ practice facility — and began putting him through positional drills.

“He kicked my ass, if we’re being honest,’’ Wright said Thursday night from his draft party at the Knoxville, Tennessee, Hyatt Place, minutes after the Bears drafted him 10th.

Pre-draft workouts are different than practices. There aren’t teammates standing in line behind you, waiting to jump into drills while you catch your breath.

“You definitely see what you’re made of a little bit in that little session,” he said.

Especially with Morgan running it.

“You’re 15 minutes in, and you’re going back-to-back-to-back,” Wright said. “But then you’re still going back-to-back-to-back, and another 10 minutes pass. Another maybe 10 minutes pass.

He just wanted to see if I’d quit, and I wouldn’t quit.”

justanidiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well stated. And speaking of interviews or in this case workout performances:

Here's my favorite part and to me what defines Wright:

Bears offensive line coach Chris Morgan met with Tennessee right tackle Darnell Wright on his home turf — the Volunteers’ practice facility — and began putting him through positional drills.

“He kicked my ass, if we’re being honest,’’ Wright said Thursday night from his draft party at the Knoxville, Tennessee, Hyatt Place, minutes after the Bears drafted him 10th.

Pre-draft workouts are different than practices. There aren’t teammates standing in line behind you, waiting to jump into drills while you catch your breath.

“You definitely see what you’re made of a little bit in that little session,” he said.

Especially with Morgan running it.

“You’re 15 minutes in, and you’re going back-to-back-to-back,” Wright said. “But then you’re still going back-to-back-to-back, and another 10 minutes pass. Another maybe 10 minutes pass.

He just wanted to see if I’d quit, and I wouldn’t quit.”
yeah, this while Carter shows up out of shape and taking a pass at the combine.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He starts day 1.
Never a doubt. I didn't even have Wright on my early radar until I read a clip in an online article about his game against Will Anderson where he all but completely shut the man down. In fact, Anderson has gone on record saying Wright was the toughest collegiate opponent he's faced. Then I read where Wright never gave up a sack in '22, which is the season he played exclusively at RT. And it's not like Tennessee had a cakewalk schedule. There were some tough opponents, including Georgia, Alabama, Clemson (Orange Bowl), BYU, LSU, among others. So no doubt Wright faced some challenging competition. Then I started watching tape and I became even more impressed. It's why even tho I had Paris Johnson, Jr as my personal top pick, I was more than satisfied with Wright as the alternate. In fact, since it appears Poles & co intend on playing Braxton again at LT, I think it made Wright the perfect choice.