• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2021 NBA Offseason

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Chicago getting a first for mark is a steal as well

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Love takes the buyout and comes to the Warriors where he would be a perfect fit.

Lavar Ball Bbb GIF by Ball in the Family
No disagreement there....but I think both LA teams might have something to say about it.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Think Mobley is your best shot at a franchise changing player so I would expect him to get more playing time than he would initially deserve to get some experience. But the model for the Cavs is good. They just need to hope some of these guys pan out. Right now Sexton and Garland look like solid starters. Sexton I think is who he is. He's like Monta Ellis with a much better 3 ball. Okoro played well towards the end of the season so we'll have to see where he goes from there. I like his talent though.

Garland, Markkanen and Allen all look like starting caliber players. But IMO for the Cavs they're going to need one of them to step up to be an allstar caliber player. I'm not sure I see it at this point.
I think the Ellis comparison is fair, but I don't recall what he was like as didn't follow him closely. Did he have the obscene work ethic Sexton has? Kid still has 4-5 years to improve before his prime seasons. No doubt, because of size he is not the best fit on THIS team.

Agree on Okoro, as well. Seems like at worse his floor might be solid rotational player. Not sure about ceiling. I mean, I guess the comparison to Butler is a good one but no way to know if a kid can make a jump like Butler did without seeing more.

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the Ellis comparison is fair, but I don't recall what he was like as didn't follow him closely. Did he have the obscene work ethic Sexton has? Kid still has 4-5 years to improve before his prime seasons. No doubt, because of size he is not the best fit on THIS team.

Agree on Okoro, as well. Seems like at worse his floor might be solid rotational player. Not sure about ceiling. I mean, I guess the comparison to Butler is a good one but no way to know if a kid can make a jump like Butler did without seeing more.

Monta did have a very strong work ethic. He was a 2nd round pick out of High School. He averaged 20 pts a game in his 3rd year in the league at 22 as a starter for a team that won 48 games (and yet still didn't make the playoffs because the West was absolutely loaded that year). But what really defined him for me was his moped incident. He was dumb, rode a moped and had a major injury from that. It resulted in basically a missed year and a suspension from the team.

He could have just packed it in from there, but after the injury he came back and had his best two seasons from a production stand point. That takes a lot of work to not only get back to where you were but improve.

Monta was flawed as a player. But no one could question his ability to get a bucket. He had a nice mid range game and was really crafty with the ball in an unexpected way. He got to the rim and finished pretty well. He also played passing lanes really well on defense and was able to get a lot of steals even though his general on ball defense wasn't the greatest.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Nance is healthy, I actually like the move a lot.

i love nance. He’s definitely worth a protected first. Especially in Portland.

He's a good player. But he's not worth giving up a 1st round pick. Nance isn't gonna be a difference maker from what they already are. Portland is in a situation where they need to make moves to jump up a level or just move on from Dame. They don't have a lot of options to begin with and using one of those arrows on a move that isn't gonna make much difference isn't worth it. It's better to save that pick to be used later. You've now lost an asset to do what? Go from a 7 seed with a 2nd round ceiling to a 6 seed with a 2nd round ceiling?

CitySushi

Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's a good player. But he's not worth giving up a 1st round pick. Nance isn't gonna be a difference maker from what they already are. Portland is in a situation where they need to make moves to jump up a level or just move on from Dame. They don't have a lot of options to begin with and using one of those arrows on a move that isn't gonna make much difference isn't worth it. It's better to save that pick to be used later. You've now lost an asset to do what? Go from a 7 seed with a 2nd round ceiling to a 6 seed with a 2nd round ceiling?

Well consider the optics here:

1) Dame is considering leaving if the Blazers aren't committed to getting better.
2) The future draft pick in question isn't likely to be a lottery pick.
3) How many times will a mid 1st round pick help you immediately win to maximize a window for a superstar?
4) Nance provides for an immediate need for the Blazers.

A future protected first for Nance isn't bad value at all, imo.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Love takes the buyout and comes to the Warriors where he would be a perfect fit.

Lavar Ball Bbb GIF by Ball in the Family
Go ahead take him! lol

I like this move for Portland, they needed to do something for Lillard. Not a huge splash but an under the radar move.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
View attachment 278598
What do you think about this contract? I'm mixed...haven't watched him play much tbh
the spotrac isnt right if what Fedor said was right with the 4th year largely unguaranteed.

Markenen is a guy who is 24, had a lot of hype coming in, is developed- can shoot the 3 and do some thing. Its about right- maybe a little less than I expected to be honest--- but he was an RFA and didnt have much leverage with the bulls or anyone really.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

1) Dame is considering leaving if the Blazers aren't committed to getting better.
3) How many times will a mid 1st round pick help you immediately win to maximize a window for a superstar?

Likely in the 16-26 range you would think, that isn't bad at all

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the spotrac isnt right if what Fedor said was right with the 4th year largely unguaranteed.

Markenen is a guy who is 24, had a lot of hype coming in, is developed- can shoot the 3 and do some thing. Its about right- maybe a little less than I expected to be honest--- but he was an RFA and didnt have much leverage with the bulls or anyone really.
worth the risk if Fedor is correct. Where does Love go from here? Too much money for a buyout but now 4 big men, they have depth at the position. THe Cavs cannot sign FA's, making a move like this is really the most they can hope for from a young kid...hopefully he takes the next step.

14 ppg 40% from 3. Below aveerage rebounder and defender but in the right rotation he can fit. We will see. I would rather them make a move like this then just sit back and do nothing. Nance was a GREAT role player, loved watching him play and he will be missed.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
worth the risk if Fedor is correct. Where does Love go from here? Too much money for a buyout but now 4 big men, they have depth at the position. THe Cavs cannot sign FA's, making a move like this is really the most they can hope for from a young kid...hopefully he takes the next step.

14 ppg 40% from 3. Below aveerage rebounder and defender but in the right rotation he can fit. We will see. I would rather them make a move like this then just sit back and do nothing. Nance was a GREAT role player, loved watching him play and he will be missed.
Guessing they will see how Love fits in. Might as well do that first than just help a contender by buying him out. would think he has 1 more year here, tops.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The value isn't in the pick itself though. Or Nance. It's to be used in other trades. Their roster is really only gonna improve with a shake up like dealing McCollum. But McCollum by himself isn't gonna net a big return either. That's why you need all kinds of picks to sweeten deals and be more flexible. They're taking options away from themselves to not really make themselves significantly better.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the bottom line for the Markenen/Nance deal is that---- while I really like Nance and his leadership and work ethic etc... the best you can hope for out of him is being a very good role player. Markenen has a chance to be more than that.

CitySushi

Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The value isn't in the pick itself though. Or Nance. It's to be used in other trades. Their roster is really only gonna improve with a shake up like dealing McCollum. But McCollum by himself isn't gonna net a big return either. That's why you need all kinds of picks to sweeten deals and be more flexible. They're taking options away from themselves to not really make themselves significantly better.

I understand where you're coming from. But also the valuation of these future draft picks is relevant as well to the team accepting them. That's why the Warriors pick from the T'Wolves is much more valuable than say 3 future first round picks from the Nets. The Blazers are kind of in a no-man's land right now in terms of the valuation of their draft picks. It's not necessarily high enough to be a real starter for high end trades and it's not bad enough where you can just simply throw them away. In this case I don't think they're throwing them away because they net a return of a proven NBA player who can contribute 30 minutes a night (if healthy). That's much more valuable to a team looking to compete at a higher level than a mid to late 1st.

The Blazers still have all of their future 1sts aside from the one they just sent out. So there is still value there, in addition to potential pick swaps.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I understand where you're coming from. But also the valuation of these future draft picks is relevant as well to the team accepting them. That's why the Warriors pick from the T'Wolves is much more valuable than say 3 future first round picks from the Nets. The Blazers are kind of in a no-man's land right now in terms of the valuation of their draft picks. It's not necessarily high enough to be a real starter for high end trades and it's not bad enough where you can just simply throw them away. In this case I don't think they're throwing them away because they net a return of a proven NBA player who can contribute 30 minutes a night (if healthy). That's much more valuable to a team looking to compete at a higher level than a mid to late 1st.

The Blazers still have all of their future 1sts aside from the one they just sent out. So there is still value there, in addition to potential pick swaps.
if i am not mistaken the first round pick going from Portland to Chicago is lotto protected anyway.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Like this move for Portland a lot. Nance is on a reasonable deal and provides some stability at the 3/4 position if he's healthy. Nice fit there with Dame and CJ.

Will be interesting to see what the Cavs do with their now glut of big men. Markkanen and Allen now making big bucks between them. Then you drafted Mobley who likely needs court time to improve.

Yeah, don’t get why Cleveland would want Maarkanenen.

Yes, he is young and all that, but what do they envision his role being long term?

Bench big?