• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2019 Womens World Cup Thread

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Studs up tackle on the second yellow card. Dead to rights for sure. But just seeing that play again on replay reminds me of this....Morgan is really good at selling the foul. I know the causal to non fan finds this disgusting....but it’s no different that selling a charge or other foul in basketball. She is really good at it.

Press showed one limitation over Rapinoe in my view on the botched goalie play. She had Morgan perfectly set in the box. Put it to her feet and it’s really got a chance. But Press has more of a strikers mind and never pulled her head up. It wasn’t a bad shot....but if she looked up there was a sure fire assist there.

Small gripe as she was fantastic in this game!

Do you buy the fact that Rapinoe was out due to a "hamstring" injury? (Rapinoe (hammy) expects to be 'fit for the final')

I love watching Press play... But that's because I think she's attractive but you are right she isn't as "finished" as Rapinoe is when it comes to passing but she has the skills though..

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just saw the call the lead to the saved PK... Pretty weak foul imo... But the US got the same (well very similar) call for them in a previous game so it comes around.

Never thought I'd see Houghton miss a PK... I will certainly miss seeing her running around the pitch. lol

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Games being rebroadcasted now

tducey

Sports discussion
Hoopla Cash
$ 46,233.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thought it was a good game but once again the U.S. proved the better team. I think Sweden wins tomorrow.

Payton

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Studs up tackle on the second yellow card. Dead to rights for sure. But just seeing that play again on replay reminds me of this....Morgan is really good at selling the foul. I know the causal to non fan finds this disgusting....but it’s no different that selling a charge or other foul in basketball. She is really good at it.

Press showed one limitation over Rapinoe in my view on the botched goalie play. She had Morgan perfectly set in the box. Put it to her feet and it’s really got a chance. But Press has more of a strikers mind and never pulled her head up. It wasn’t a bad shot....but if she looked up there was a sure fire assist there.

Small gripe as she was fantastic in this game!

On the Press play, I almost wondered whether she didn't see the back defender standing by the keeper and thought Morgan was offside?

Payton

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just saw the call the lead to the saved PK... Pretty weak foul imo... But the US got the same (well very similar) call for them in a previous game so it comes around.

Never thought I'd see Houghton miss a PK... I will certainly miss seeing her running around the pitch. lol

I am trying to be consistent with my distaste for VAR and that balanced out for me today... I thought the offside was ridiculously close and hate that they went to VAR to call it (Again I compare it to NHL replay and my frustration with it). Right call? Technically yes, but still don't like it.

Then VAR calls a ticky tac penalty on Sauerbrun. In my eyes, it gave England their opportunity to get back the goal and they blew it....

So bottom line VAR sucks, but for me it was a wash today, so I'll be able to sleep fine... :D

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am trying to be consistent with my distaste for VAR and that balanced out for me today... I thought the offside was ridiculously close and hate that they went to VAR to call it (Again I compare it to NHL replay and my frustration with it). Right call? Technically yes, but still don't like it.

Then VAR calls a ticky tac penalty on Sauerbrun. In my eyes, it gave England their opportunity to get back the goal and they blew it....

So bottom line VAR sucks, but for me it was a wash today, so I'll be able to sleep fine... :D

Yeah I am not a fan of VAR either. I mean officials aren't calling offsides which leads to goals being scored only to be overturned because they were actually off sides... As I said in another thread...... everything looks like a penalty when you slow it down as much as VAR does... I am seeing the replay of this match right now and I still don't see the penalty on Sauerbrun at all.. I also didn't see it on the Heath play where she got the call... But imo there really wasn't enough to overturn todays no call but that's why I am on my couch and she is out there on the pitch but it wasn't clear and egregious enough to change it

Macho Grande

Would Sacrifice You In An Emergency
The Magumba Bar in Drambuie, off the Barbary Coast
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,889.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't see Sweden beating Netherlands. I was convinced a couple of weeks ago after I had seen all the top teams play a couple of matches that it would be USA vs Netherlands in the final match. Sweden is good, but Netherlands has looked better from what I've seen.

Orlando Eagles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Agree on the feelings towards VAR...though I think opposite on the two plays mentioned. Offsides is offsides. Always has been. Admittedly VAR has taken the frustration of offsides away (we would have been pissed had the replay shown White a tick offsides and the goal counted). Now we are pissed at VAR. But offsides is a non arbitrary call. You’re either on or you’re off. As long as it’s judged equally along that line there is no grey area and I’m fine with VAR for offsides.

My gripe with VAR is with nuanced calls that have grey areas. Like the PK against Sauerbrunn. I feel this is where there needs to be a dictate on whether there is solid evidence to overturn the call on the field. In my view it actually looked like a Penalty in real time, and it wasn’t called. On replay you can see Sauerbrunn making every effort to avoid contact with White (the contact with White was initiated by White, yes, in the process of shooting). But there is where it’s grey. Sauerbrunn is clearly seen making every effort to avoid contact. To me that should make clear evidence to uphold the call on the field.

It’s those in the box plays, or even level of fouls anywhere on the field that should have a call made, then it can be reviewed to see if there is incontrovertible evidence to overturn the call.

And that’s what I have gripe with on VAR....the plays with grey areas.

Orlando Eagles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't see Sweden beating Netherlands. I was convinced a couple of weeks ago after I had seen all the top teams play a couple of matches that it would be USA vs Netherlands in the final match. Sweden is good, but Netherlands has looked better from what I've seen.

I am very much leaning Netherlands, and actually would have leaned more on the if they were against Germany, oddly.

I just feel this Sweden team is sneaky good. And possibly peaking at the right time. And I don’t want to face such a team in the final.

That or they were just really up for Germany and breaking the streak and come back to earth today.

We will see....but I will call it 2-1 Netherlands, as much wishful as anything.

Orlando Eagles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do you buy the fact that Rapinoe was out due to a "hamstring" injury? (Rapinoe (hammy) expects to be 'fit for the final')

I love watching Press play... But that's because I think she's attractive but you are right she isn't as "finished" as Rapinoe is when it comes to passing but she has the skills though..

I’ve decided I’m not worrying about it. It’s not like a Major pro sport where injury reports have to be made. If it had been some behavioral issue that I’m sure many haters would love to see (it wasn’t) and they wanted to hide that they would have jumped on injury claim right away.

I think she tweaked her hammy. I think they decided they are confidant enough in Press to make the switch and not push the hammy. I think they kept it quiet for a while because they wanted that doubt with England. Gamesmanship. I think Ellis was honest on that.

Any other conspiracy idea just doesn’t add up for it.

And....we are on to Sweden/Netherlands. Lol

Payton

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Netherlands scares me a bit. If they win today (and from what I've seen they should) I hope we know better than to take them lightly. Having won the European Championship, I'd assume we'd know better, but since we just assumed it would be Germany facing us, it'd be good to have the gals on high alert.

Payton

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree on the feelings towards VAR...though I think opposite on the two plays mentioned. Offsides is offsides. Always has been. Admittedly VAR has taken the frustration of offsides away (we would have been pissed had the replay shown White a tick offsides and the goal counted). Now we are pissed at VAR. But offsides is a non arbitrary call. You’re either on or you’re off. As long as it’s judged equally along that line there is no grey area and I’m fine with VAR for offsides.

My gripe with VAR is with nuanced calls that have grey areas. Like the PK against Sauerbrunn. I feel this is where there needs to be a dictate on whether there is solid evidence to overturn the call on the field. In my view it actually looked like a Penalty in real time, and it wasn’t called. On replay you can see Sauerbrunn making every effort to avoid contact with White (the contact with White was initiated by White, yes, in the process of shooting). But there is where it’s grey. Sauerbrunn is clearly seen making every effort to avoid contact. To me that should make clear evidence to uphold the call on the field.

It’s those in the box plays, or even level of fouls anywhere on the field that should have a call made, then it can be reviewed to see if there is incontrovertible evidence to overturn the call.

And that’s what I have gripe with on VAR....the plays with grey areas.

I think we're on the same page. I mean I get that on the offside, IF you go to VAR then yeah, its offside... There is no gray area.

I just don't like doing that. I've stated elsewhere that, to me, it is akin to a goal being scored in hockey and then they go back 2 minutes prior to find that the scoring team entered the zone before the puck because a guy lifted his foot off the ice a fraction of a second too soon...

I guess I don't care for the robotic precision on these calls in my sports...?

Orlando Eagles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think we're on the same page. I mean I get that on the offside, IF you go to VAR then yeah, its offside... There is no gray area.

I just don't like doing that. I've stated elsewhere that, to me, it is akin to a goal being scored in hockey and then they go back 2 minutes prior to find that the scoring team entered the zone before the puck because a guy lifted his foot off the ice a fraction of a second too soon...

I think with a possible offsides you let the play go and only check it if it’s a goal or a corner kick or a penalty in the box. Any other outcome favors the defense anyway. If we are going to review don’t let the play be called dead on offsides.

Orlando Eagles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Netherlands scares me a bit. If they win today (and from what I've seen they should) I hope we know better than to take them lightly. Having won the European Championship, I'd assume we'd know better, but since we just assumed it would be Germany facing us, it'd be good to have the gals on high alert.

I don’t want to play either team. The Dutch are Euro champs for a reason. There form has just been spotty at time this tournament. Though....thinking about it....no one gets to the Final with out peaking at the right time.

Tough matchup either way. Who feared Japan eight years ago?

Orlando Eagles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I’ve decided I’m not worrying about it. It’s not like a Major pro sport where injury reports have to be made. If it had been some behavioral issue that I’m sure many haters would love to see (it wasn’t) and they wanted to hide that they would have jumped on injury claim right away.

I think she tweaked her hammy. I think they decided they are confidant enough in Press to make the switch and not push the hammy. I think they kept it quiet for a while because they wanted that doubt with England. Gamesmanship. I think Ellis was honest on that.

Any other conspiracy idea just doesn’t add up for it.

And....we are on to Sweden/Netherlands. Lol

Another point I just heard/remembered that I think had play in this no go decision for Rapinoe yesterday....Lucy Bronze. Last week Heath played the stronger defense on her side and Rapinoe was free ranging on her wing. Against England the opposite was needed.....since Lucy Bronze is amazing and can get forward fast.

If there is even a tweak that makes Rapinoe 5% slower why wouldn't you look to bring in Press to run around and hold her in check (note: Press did).

Smart tactics.

Sparhawk

SportsHoopla Ombudsman
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,357.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah I am not a fan of VAR either. I mean officials aren't calling offsides which leads to goals being scored only to be overturned because they were actually off sides... As I said in another thread...... everything looks like a penalty when you slow it down as much as VAR does... I am seeing the replay of this match right now and I still don't see the penalty on Sauerbrun at all.. I also didn't see it on the Heath play where she got the call... But imo there really wasn't enough to overturn todays no call but that's why I am on my couch and she is out there on the pitch but it wasn't clear and egregious enough to change it

+6000 this

I didn't think VAR had enough evidence to overturn this and call it a penalty. None of the angles showed clear contact. However, there are two points I can think of :

1) Would Smith have totally missed that ball if she wasn't fouled? That first goal was a brilliant re-direct. Hard to believe she would whiff on this one knowing it was a tying goal.

2) When the ref handed Sauerbrun the yellow card, she did not complain at all

Were there any post-game comments from either player?

Orlando Eagles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
+6000 this

I didn't think VAR had enough evidence to overturn this and call it a penalty. None of the angles showed clear contact. However, there are two points I can think of :

1) Would Smith have totally missed that ball if she wasn't fouled? That first goal was a brilliant re-direct. Hard to believe she would whiff on this one knowing it was a tying goal.

2) When the ref handed Sauerbrun the yellow card, she did not complain at all

Were there any post-game comments from either player?

Sauerbrunn didn’t complain because....why? Just move on from it.

Here’s the thing...it wasn’t a penalty in live time and it shouldn’t have been in review either. Because....she didn’t even try the kick. She just flopped. If Morgan did the same exact thing I would be ok with no call.

You’re telling me Miss White that you think a PK stands a much better chance of going in than the chance you had right there? That’s just so stupid.

Had she followed through with the shot and missed, or had it stopped I get the PK. But she didn’t even fucking try it. She felt the slightest touch and flopped like a cannon shot hit her. Boo.

gob

Hoopla Cash
$ 13,496.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Eh, I think maybe they should put a time limit on it. Like, did it happen less than 20 seconds before the score? If you have a couple minutes to set up a score, then yeah, the offsides didn't hurt the defense.