• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2019 Offseason

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Should Seattle be looking to pursue Gerald McCoy, now that Tampa Bay cut him?

Yes.

The team still has $25m in cap space and a projected $80m in cap space for 2020. It would in all likelihood be a one year deal and he could help offset the pass rush we lost from Frank Clark.

I'm really curious as to what Ndamukong Suh is getting on his deal with his Bucs as McCoy would likely command something similar.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
McCoy would be a nice addition if the price is right and the risk isn’t to large. So a short contract, with say a base salary not to large, but with incentives built in for performance that would reward him if he meets them.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
McCoy would be a nice addition if the price is right and the risk isn’t to large. So a short contract, with say a base salary not to large, but with incentives built in for performance that would reward him if he meets them.

I'd be happy looking at him for a Ziggy Ansah type deal.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd be happy looking at him for a Ziggy Ansah type deal.

Same here. He's not going to get more than a one year deal from anyone. Don't know how much the Bucs gave Ndamukong Suh on his one year deal, but they both performed at a similar level last year and I believe they're the same age.

A one year contract poses little risk to us, so I'm in favor of it.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good news and bad news. Bad news:

Seahawks MLB Bobby Wagner says his plan is to become the highest-paid linebacker in the NFL

Good news:

It doesn't seem as if he's going to hold out. If the Seahawks were to give him the franchise tag after the 2019 season, it would be a significant amount less than the $17m+ a year he'd command.

The franchise tag is the average of the top 5 at their position, according to OverTheCap and my calculator, as of today that would be $13.6m. The second year of the tag (120% of the previous tag) is $16.2m and the third year of the tag would be $19.5m. If he's willing to play under the tag, the first two years would be substantially cheaper than giving him a long-term extension.

There are a lot if variables at play, but tagging him would probably be the better option for the Seahawks if he's willing to play under it.

Judge Fudge

One Pretty Kinky Bastard
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,151.20
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Seahawks MLB Bobby Wagner says his plan is to become the highest-paid linebacker in the NFL

Good news:

It doesn't seem as if he's going to hold out. If the Seahawks were to give him the franchise tag after the 2019 season, it would be a significant amount less than the $17m+ a year he'd command.

The franchise tag is the average of the top 5 at their position, according to OverTheCap and my calculator, as of today that would be $13.6m. The second year of the tag (120% of the previous tag) is $16.2m and the third year of the tag would be $19.5m. If he's willing to play under the tag, the first two years would be substantially cheaper than giving him a long-term extension.

There are a lot if variables at play, but tagging him would probably be the better option for the Seahawks if he's willing to play under it.

That is alot of lettuce there man.

Quickly rewatched the 2014 NFC Championship game.

Ever since then, I have having a premonition, using a spooky voice that only me and one other Seahawks brethren know.

"Wilson. Metcalf. SEAHAWKS GOING BACK TO THE SUPER BOWL."

tenor.gif

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Good news:

Tagging is generally one of the better options if they'll play under it. There's zero risk for the team beyond that year. If Bobby will do that, pay him this year, and tag him the next two. Sad to say when he's 32 - goodbye, guess we'll get a 3rd round comp if he continues at a high level.

B Wags is obviously the heart of this defense but Mosley was WAY overpaid (think I gave it a D grade) and for Wags to get close to $20M per year with the wear he's had and approaching 30 (1 year out in a month)? Just not worth. Yah yah I get it, "HOW COULD YOU, SEAHAWK FOR LIFE!" There's two positions that I'll basically acknowledge the 'for life mentality' that are on the field. The head coach, and the QB.

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Love Wags and hope they lock him up for a nice 3 year contract ( 4 counting the least year of this contract ) but not for 20+ mill a year. Thats a painful pill to swallow. He is the QB of the defense though and the NFL has ebbs and flows that make one position raise and others fall in salary cost. 10 years from now Safeties ( with all the passing ) might be the highest paid players on the defense.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tagging is generally one of the better options if they'll play under it. There's zero risk for the team beyond that year. If Bobby will do that, pay him this year, and tag him the next two. Sad to say when he's 32 - goodbye, guess we'll get a 3rd round comp if he continues at a high level.

B Wags is obviously the heart of this defense but Mosley was WAY overpaid (think I gave it a D grade) and for Wags to get close to $20M per year with the wear he's had and approaching 30 (1 year out in a month)? Just not worth. Yah yah I get it, "HOW COULD YOU, SEAHAWK FOR LIFE!" There's two positions that I'll basically acknowledge the 'for life mentality' that are on the field. The head coach, and the QB.

I would give it an F- for two reasons.

1. Generally if a player sets the market at their respective position, it's by a few million dollars. He set it by almost $5m per year. Had that contract not been agreed upon, I don't think Wagner would be looking for more than $15m a year (about $2.5m more than Kuechly and $5m more per year than his previous contract).

2. C.J. Mosley was not even remotely near the best linebacker in the NFL. For what it's worth, here is what PFF thought about him:

Why teams shouldn’t break the bank on CJ Mosley in free agency | NFL Analysis | Pro Football Focus

I read some Seattle Times article and I was a bit off with the franchise tag numbers, but it's still cheaper than locking him up long-term. If you take away position value, Bobby Wagner is the best player on the team. He's considered the best middle linebacker in the NFL and his last two years have probably been two of the best years from a middle linebacker in the last decade IMO.

All that being said, I'd rather not get tied down by some huge contract that will be paying Wagner an insane amount of money at an age in which he will likely begin to decline. It's tough to say how long Wagner will remain an elite player, but I'm skeptical regarding any position player on the wrong side of 30. Either way I'd be fine with whatever route the team takes because tagging him is justifiable and so is giving him a big contract given the Seahawks projected cap space.

I think the worst case scenario is after 2019 they tag him for 2020 and he refuses to play and the Seahawks trade him and possibly get more than they received for Frank Clark.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Love Wags and hope they lock him up for a nice 3 year contract ( 4 counting the least year of this contract ) but not for 20+ mill a year. Thats a painful pill to swallow. He is the QB of the defense though and the NFL has ebbs and flows that make one position raise and others fall in salary cost. 10 years from now Safeties ( with all the passing ) might be the highest paid players on the defense.

Shitty thing is he said he wants a bigger contract than Mosley. Hard to tell if that means guaranteed money, years, average per year, or all of the above. It'll be interesting to see how this all plays out. The Seahawks have the money to pay him what he wants, but in terms of value they would be overpaying.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't really keep up with shoes, is he starting or already have his own shoe brand or something?[/QUOTE

NIKE shoe, they signed Russ, so $ for Russ just keeps flowing in, cool shoe though, cool add...

Dr. Strangelove

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shitty thing is he said he wants a bigger contract than Mosley. Hard to tell if that means guaranteed money, years, average per year, or all of the above. It'll be interesting to see how this all plays out. The Seahawks have the money to pay him what he wants, but in terms of value they would be overpaying.
I can't say I can blame Wags for wanting to be the highest paid ILB in the game. It's just fucked up that Mosley got that idiotic contract. The Jets have fucked the entire market. And Mosley isn't half the LB that Wags or Kuechly are. As for what to do, the team really hasn't got a lot of choices. The FT is really the only option if Bobby is willing, imo.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't say I can blame Wags for wanting to be the highest paid ILB in the game. It's just fucked up that Mosley got that idiotic contract. The Jets have fucked the entire market. And Mosley isn't half the LB that Wags or Kuechly are. As for what to do, the team really hasn't got a lot of choices. The FT is really the only option if Bobby is willing, imo.

Oh I certainly agree. It's just shitty that now the Seahawks have to top that ridiculous contract that Mosely received. Prior to Mosley's contract the Seahawks probably would've only had to pay say $15m a year for an extension since the highest contract was Kuechly at $12.3m a year. Obviously that's just speculation though.

Luckily for the Seahawks, Bobby Wagner is the best ILB in the NFL right now and we have a lot of cap flexibility going forward, even with Wilson's contract being taken into consideration.

Dr. Strangelove

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I agree @seahawksfan234 . I'm kinda torn on this. While I realize that 19-20 mil per with prob 50+ guaranteed is a steep price to pay, I really want to see Wagner in a Seahawk jersey for the rest of his career. I absolutely love the guy but I know it's a business too and a lot of things will have to be considered.