• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2017 Texas Rangers offseason thread

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This would be a good year to start some young guy in LF and leave him alone for 3 months and see what he can do. Just pick someone and go with him.

From what I've read/heard they want to see if Robinson can be an everyday player/hitter and he may be our answer in CF next season.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I could be wrong because I don’t really focus on other teams and what they’re doing, but it seems like the rangers are the most “platoon happy” organization in the mlb.

I’m not a big fan of platoons because whoever we have at the helm as manager usually sits the guy who is playing well. It makes a bad situation worse because the “ cold” guy is usually in there.

The 3 headed platoon in left field was the all time worst tho.

We barely platoon anyone actually, LF last year was about it

The A's and Rays platoon the crap out of their players (or used to) but that's bc players with bad splits like that don't get paid as much

Last edited:

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I saw that Odor is hitting a measly .143 in spring training so far.

Hopefully his walk totals are still up at least.
Walk totals are overrated in my opinion. His numbers are terrible in spite of walking 5 times this spring.

Kelleyman

Rebuild done....It all starts with pitching
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Walk totals are overrated in my opinion. His numbers are terrible in spite of walking 5 times this spring.

Very true but if he took a walk more he might see better pitches. Point is he needs to stop chasing and get better recognition. Maybe change his approach with 2 strikes. Then perhaps he will barrel up more

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm willing to let him play out the ST but if he can't get it together, send him down and find out if Profar can make it at second.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We have some hard decisions to make. Profar and Odor have been around long enough to produce if given proper handling in which case has not occurred as well as it should. During 2017,while Odor was failing at the plate, he should have been sent down and Profar given the time in Odor's place. Sitting on our butts with them has cost them trade value and IMHO it is not all together their fault. Time to fish or cut bait.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Walks show an improved plate discipline. Which is what Roogie needs.
True but walks are only a part of his OBP. He has to get the BA up as well and so far he hasn't.

Kelleyman

Rebuild done....It all starts with pitching
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Funny different schools of thought re value of a player which there ar posters here more into it than me. Thinking fantasy sports is an influence.

Of course we hear about situational hitting which makes more sense than always swinging for the fences. HRs were at a premium but this years signings have not played out that way. Look at Moustakas

Odor rips at it but would love to see him react and recognize more than miss on guesses. Of course why would a pitcher grow him strikes if he swings out of the zone so much.

Better discipline will get him more walks better pitches and then better shot at quality swings and damage. All cumulative. Still a young guy but yeah in retrospect contract or not it may have been smart to send him down

BULLPEN FAILURE

2023 World Series Champions
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
True but walks are only a part of his OBP. He has to get the BA up as well and so far he hasn't.

yes. when he demonstrates he knows not to swing at shit pitches, he will get pitches closer to the zone, which will hopefully translate to a higher average.

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We have some hard decisions to make. Profar and Odor have been around long enough to produce if given proper handling in which case has not occurred as well as it should. During 2017,while Odor was failing at the plate, he should have been sent down and Profar given the time in Odor's place. Sitting on our butts with them has cost them trade value and IMHO it is not all together their fault. Time to fish or cut bait.
I think the contract he signed is what is making the decision about who plays and who doesn't. For now it is anyway.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the contract he signed is what is making the decision about who plays and who doesn't. For now it is anyway.
Contract is also effecting Profar and is also the fault of FO and neither of the players. Just one more hard decision needing to be made. Send Odor down and give him instructional hitting help he needs and see what happens. Meanwhile Profar gets playing time.