• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2017 Texas Rangers offseason thread

Kelleyman

Rebuild done....It all starts with pitching
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With this market and the wealth of FAs next year, Elvis will not opt out. He states he wants to stay here. My guess is we renegotiate next year

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With this market and the wealth of FAs next year, Elvis will not opt out. He states he wants to stay here. My guess is we renegotiate next year
True. Choo is likely to be a dh if not traded and Beltre is another question.

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do you honestly think they are holding onto Choo and have gotten a reasonable offer on Hamels?
I honestly think they have not pursued trades for either of the two with the exception of the Greinke talks. They simply have refused to trade veterans for prospects because they do not want fans giving up on 2018. I think that is clearly evident.

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I honestly think they have not pursued trades for either of the two with the exception of the Greinke talks. They simply have refused to trade veterans for prospects because they do not want fans giving up on 2018. I think that is clearly evident.

I don’t think you should “pursue” trades when your pieces are at a low but I do think GMs kick the tires and if we got an offer for Hamels that was reasonable then we would trade him and maybe that would allow us to get Yu.

It is very difficult to know what JD is doing and most things come out of the blue

We sure don’t want to lay hand wide open like Fish did with Stanton

Is it not obvious that this offseason has been very peculiar for buying and selling players?

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They will cater to Beltre and should. Also, everyone would love seeing Choo gone so I doubt fans would give up on parting with a high dollar dh.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don’t think you should “pursue” trades when your pieces are at a low but I do think GMs kick the tires and if we got an offer for Hamels that was reasonable then we would trade him and maybe that would allow us to get Yu.

It is very difficult to know what JD is doing and most things come out of the blue

We sure don’t want to lay hand wide open like Fish did with Stanton

Is it not obvious that this offseason has been very peculiar for buying and selling players?
Most things used to come out of the blue. That is not the case any longer.

It is very difficult to know if Hamels and Choo will increase in value and Beltre most likely will not. One thing with Hamels is he is certainly a lot more valuable to a team for a full year than he would be for 3 months.

For the MLB as a whole this offseason is very peculiar. For the Rangers in particular this offseason is a lot like the last few offseasons. I don't buy into the collusion theory so I don't see what the rest of the teams are doing as dictating what the Rangers are doing. Other teams rebuilding or trying to stay away from the sting of the luxury tax does not change our philosophy.

One thing to keep in mind is that our front office had this offaeason's course set before the market played itself out. When JD told Beltre that this would not be a rebuilding year he was saying they would not trade veterans for prospects.

Last edited:

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They will cater to Beltre and should. Also, everyone would love seeing Choo gone so I doubt fans would give up on parting with a high dollar dh.
There are fans that would understand moving Choo. I believe those are pretty much the same fans that would understand a rebuilding plan. It is the other fans that they are concerned with not wanting to give up on the season. Those are the fans that don't understand ever needing to rebuild and would not understand trading Choo for someone who might help us 3 years down the road.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There simply isn't a market for Choo; a DH only, marginal fielder, that hits ok but is hurt a lot and being paid 20+ million to do so, a lot of teams wouldn't want Choo even before you start talking contract

You can call other GMs but there's not much of a conversation, or anything to post, if they just say "no, not interested" before pieces and money can be discussed

I was surprised he was even discussed in the Greinke talks bc he's so utterly useless to them as a fielder and his bat isn't nearly good enough to make up for that, and once again, that's even before you even talk money, even if we chipped in 10 million a year for the rest of his contract, he still isn't any use to them

Nightcrawler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How much longer is the Choo albatross going to be around our necks.

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is only about the money re Choo and him block grants younger talent otherwise the guy csn get on base vs all the high strikeouts this team had which we really hope decreases

Choo keeps us fro using the DH as a 1/2 day rest for guys like Beltre and Calhoun.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope for the best for him, but if he rebounds much at all I sure hope it is somewhere besides San Fran. Hopefully, he has an escape clause that he gets to utilize.