• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2017 CONCACAF Gold Cup

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Luckily none of their likely starters for the "real" matches were even on the field

hopefully not... Well, Bradley, Altidore and Dempsey are

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Saturday game is a nice test for us especially considering Costa Rica is our next game in WXC Qualifying on September 1st.
Does Costa Rica have their full squad? We basically will be playing with half a team. So if they have their full team I would say they better beat us handily.

I'm probably going to stand alone on this, but I don't really think Dempsey should be starting when we have our full team. I'd rather bring him on late if we need a goal, but he just looks too old most of the time. I think Wood is a better player. I would have played him in the first round to try to get the record though so he doesn't bitch and moan when he gets taken off.

And how horrible was our spacing and passing last night? Very frustrating to watch.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry, was referring to the "backline" that you referenced only

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry, was referring to the "backline" that you referenced only

ok, thought you were but that's what happens when you read the link while on the phone duties

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Backline was hilariously bad last night, even by USMNT backline standards

You know the amazing thing about this? US has traditionally had some very solid back lines. We have always hurt for a left back like 80% of the rest of the world, but beyond that we've had some great CB duos and right backs. Wtf happened?

Gopherfan84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought CONCACAF had already ruled that if you played for another nation you were ineligible to play for another nation. So why did they let Luis Suarez suit up for El Salvador against the U.S.?

lasportzphan

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Does Costa Rica have their full squad? We basically will be playing with half a team. So if they have their full team I would say they better beat us handily.

I'm probably going to stand alone on this, but I don't really think Dempsey should be starting when we have our full team. I'd rather bring him on late if we need a goal, but he just looks too old most of the time. I think Wood is a better player. I would have played him in the first round to try to get the record though so he doesn't bitch and moan when he gets taken off.

And how horrible was our spacing and passing last night? Very frustrating to watch.

I appreciate the concern for Dempsey's stamina due to age, but he set up the second goal with a world class move that not one player on the roster could ever muster up. He understands how to create space, he has great vision and can muster the occasional creativity that is rarely seen on the US offensive side.

I weigh the pro's and cons.... have some MLS hack who has no vision or offensive creativity but can run around like a chicken with his head cut off for 90 minutes? Or risk a tired Dempsey that can muster up moments of offensive creativity? I'd go with Dempsey because he can be subbed out if the wheels fall off.

lasportzphan

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

To answer your question about Cost Rica and their squad level:
"Costa Rica lost four of their best players after the group stage, with Bryan Oviedo, Joel Campbell and Cristian Gamboa returning to Europe for pre-season and Johan Venegas sent back to Minnesota United after suffering a knee injury."

This is "B" team on "B" team stuff.

lasportzphan

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought CONCACAF had already ruled that if you played for another nation you were ineligible to play for another nation. So why did they let Luis Suarez suit up for El Salvador against the U.S.?

lasportzphan

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You know the amazing thing about this? US has traditionally had some very solid back lines. We have always hurt for a left back like 80% of the rest of the world, but beyond that we've had some great CB duos and right backs. Wtf happened?

I have thought about this and I sense it was more about the tactical set up of the US that provided an appearance that there were better defenders back in the day compared to now. For the most part, the US parked the bus and simply countered. The defense was 8 guys playing as a unit.

That said, I could counter my own point above by noting the competitive nature of the 2002 - 2006 squads. You watch film of those teams, and they were just better teams. Since 2007, the US has been in a massive lull with some decent results sprinkled in.

lasportzphan

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pulisic is the only player on the roster that changes the dimension of the US team. Dempsey used to a bit, Donovan as well. But it is pretty Pulisic or nothing right now.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I appreciate the concern for Dempsey's stamina due to age, but he set up the second goal with a world class move that not one player on the roster could ever muster up. He understands how to create space, he has great vision and can muster the occasional creativity that is rarely seen on the US offensive side.

I weigh the pro's and cons.... have some MLS hack who has no vision or offensive creativity but can run around like a chicken with his head cut off for 90 minutes? Or risk a tired Dempsey that can muster up moments of offensive creativity? I'd go with Dempsey because he can be subbed out if the wheels fall off.
MLS hack? Not sure what you are talking about. I'm talking about Wood. And don't forget Dempsey had many poor passes and attempts as well. He looked sluggish to me. In a game against a pretty poor squad he should have stood out as looking much better than his opponents, but he really did very little and while I agree the "world class attempt" was a sweet play, but not so sure it was that great. I think there were great set up passes by MLS hacks in the last two goals against Martinique too.

I never said he shouldn't be playing, just not 90 minutes, which is kind of what you said too. To each his own, but I'd be surprised if he is playing 90 minutes every match once the WC starts next Summer.

Last edited:

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To answer your question about Cost Rica and their squad level:
"Costa Rica lost four of their best players after the group stage, with Bryan Oviedo, Joel Campbell and Cristian Gamboa returning to Europe for pre-season and Johan Venegas sent back to Minnesota United after suffering a knee injury."

This is "B" team on "B" team stuff.
Thanks. Makes a little more sense. I think we would have a better chance if a a couple of our starting defenders were playing this weekend even if it meant losing a couple guys up front. Our defense has looked very shallow this whole tournament. Only our opponents lack of talent has led to the results we've gotten.

lasportzphan

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
MLS hack? Not sure what you are talking about. I'm talking about Wood. And don't forget Dempsey had many poor passes and attempts as well. He looked sluggish to me. In a game against a pretty poor squad he should have stood out as looking much better than his opponents, but he really did very little and while I agree the "world class attempt" was a sweet play, but not so sure it was that great. I think there were great set up passes by MLS hacks in the last two goals against Martinique too.

I never said he shouldn't be playing, just not 90 minutes, which is kind of what you said too. To each his own, but I'd be surprised if he is playing 90 minutes every match once the WC starts next Summer.

What I mean by MLS hack is just about every player currently on the Gold Cup Roster (not included on the A Team roster). I think Dempsey is an upgrade over any of those players. Ultimately, we are agreeing.

I did not know you were referring to Wood (and I agree with you) as he plays on a international club and was not eligible to be placed on the Gold Cup roster in light of this. So my thinking was in terms of who was the best option on the Gold Cup roster.

As for Dempsey, he has lost a step. You are right. We can agree to disagree on his assist. It was world class ofor US soccer standards and certainly for the likes of the group stage gold cup roster.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow we hit the post in the first 20 seconds

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75