• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2016 DB class

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Any of these CBs or S remind you of anyone? Any of them you want to see on your team? Any great fits out there for zone or man?

Ive been trying to figure out Mackenzie Alexander. I think he looks a bit like Janoris Jenkins. Super cocky, reactive, not a lot of size, solid cover skills.

NFL dot com compares Jalen Ramsey to Sean Smith. That seems a bit nuts. Its seems like every player at the top is getting completely picked apart. Is he a S or a CB, though?

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm just paying attention to the guys most likely available at 25, but overall?...The Ramsey kid will most likely be a S...I like Alexander as a cover guy, but can he play the ball up high against the tall WRs?

Jackson III and Apple most fit the Steelers bump-n-run to off cover, 2 deep zone concept...you don't have to be great man to man, ..size, speed and the ability to tackle in space are big assets in the Steelers system.

TDs3nOut

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm just paying attention to the guys most likely available at 25, but overall?...The Ramsey kid will most likely be a S...I like Alexander as a cover guy, but can he play the ball up high against the tall WRs?

Jackson III and Apple most fit the Steelers bump-n-run to off cover, 2 deep zone concept...you don't have to be great man to man, ..size, speed and the ability to tackle in space are big assets in the Steelers system.

William Jackson III is a very good player. Then again, I also thought that DJ Hayden was a lock down CB. Hard to project how things work out.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
William Jackson III is a very good player. Then again, I also thought that DJ Hayden was a lock down CB. Hard to project how things work out.
CB is always one of the tougher positions to pick...that's why we all cream our pants when the next Patrick Peterson is in the draft....you just hope he doesn't turn out to be Justin Gilbert.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I will admit I was a big Hayden fan too. I think he could still be a good player. We have seen quite a few times that Raiders players go elsewhere and turn into very good players. Could just be he was in a terrible system and used unproperly.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
CB is always one of the tougher positions to pick...that's why we all cream our pants when the next Patrick Peterson is in the draft....you just hope he doesn't turn out to be Justin Gilbert.

Gilbert to me was a bust from the beginning. I watched a lot of his college games and he was either making a huge play or completely out of position. He was one of those guys that thrived off of his superior athleticism but in the pros that just doesn't work out well. Everybody is a superior athlete so technique has to be what separates them.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gilbert to me was a bust from the beginning. I watched a lot of his college games and he was either making a huge play or completely out of position. He was one of those guys that thrived off of his superior athleticism but in the pros that just doesn't work out well. Everybody is a superior athlete so technique has to be what separates them.

You're right...We can find a lot more 1st round busts at CB than Gilbert...I think speed, technique, and confidence (after getting beat for 6) go a long way for a solid NFL CB.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're right...We can find a lot more 1st round busts at CB than Gilbert...I think speed, technique, and confidence (after getting beat for 6) go a long way for a solid NFL CB.

This is where you can't fall in love with with the combine numbers. Yes a player might look like they have all the physical attributes that you want in a certain position but it still comes down in this league to the player who is smartest usually wins. We have seen plenty of guys who physically just don't have the look yet they constantly find ways to win.

This is why Eli Apple is a guy that I think is a bit of a risky pick. Athletically everything you are looking for but he does have some major deficiencies. So far in his career he has shown he is great at shadowing a receiver but is down right terrible when asked to play that off man or off zone coverage. Just not a great diagnoser of what is going on for a play. So to me depends where he goes and what type of scheme he plays in for the impact he can have early on.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As of late, it doesn't seem like there is any separation between top 15 CBs and bottom 1st round CBs. It definitely seems like a position, even in this draft, where you can trade down and get a starter of the same quality as whoever the top 1 or 2 guys are.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

ive heard alot of stiller fans say why waste a first on apple, the 4th-5th rated corner, i wanmt him

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ive heard alot of stiller fans say why waste a first on apple, the 4th-5th rated corner, i wanmt him

The scouts seem to feel he raised his stock at the combine...ran faster than expected or at least as fast...I can't say I know a ton about him but he looks to have Ike like skills, faster, hopefully can catch the ball better if they do pick him.

A lot will happen between now and the draft that will shape that 1st pick...if Gay signs elsewhere...Apple or Jackson III probably look pretty good...if Foster signs elsewhere...Whitehair or Garnett probably move up the board.

Superbelt

Castigat ridendo mores
Hoopla Cash
$ 223.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The scouts seem to feel he raised his stock at the combine...ran faster than expected or at least as fast...I can't say I know a ton about him but he looks to have Ike like skills, faster, hopefully can catch the ball better if they do pick him.

A lot will happen between now and the draft that will shape that 1st pick...if Gay signs elsewhere...Apple or Jackson III probably look pretty good...if Foster signs elsewhere...Whitehair or Garnett probably move up the board.
I never like seeing a player who has his stock raised at the combine. To me the only thing the combine is good for is to confirm your expectations, or drop someone.

Apple should be a 3rd round consideration.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Ramsey kid will most likely be a S
It seems like he did a little bit of everything when he was at Florida St. They had him blitz a lot. They had him line up against the best receiver in press coverage a lot. The had him back off in zone coverage a bit. Ramsey seemed like he would break off his guy on a good number of plays. I honestly dont know enough about secondary play to tell if he is a badass or just a jack of all trades.

I think he could be a CB or a S in most schemes. Im just not sure how good he'll be

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I never like seeing a player who has his stock raised at the combine. To me the only thing the combine is good for is to confirm your expectations, or drop someone.

Apple should be a 3rd round consideration.

I tend to agree on the raising stock, but it worked out for Poe in KC. It's such a speed driven league now...assuming you have decent tape...training on getting faster alone can move you up several spots in the draft.

I'm hoping for Artie Burns at 78...Apple...idk to be honest, but I do feel lack the depth of this CB class is pushing guys higher up the board this year.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It seems like he did a little bit of everything when he was at Florida St. They had him blitz a lot. They had him line up against the best receiver in press coverage a lot. The had him back off in zone coverage a bit. Ramsey seemed like he would break off his guy on a good number of plays. I honestly dont know enough about secondary play to tell if he is a badass or just a jack of all trades.

I think he could be a CB or a S in most schemes. Im just not sure how good he'll be

I can't say I know enough either to project. He has the skillset to be very good at either position, but out the gate I would say CB2...I think it's going to take a yr or so before he's an impact player @ CB.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I tend to agree on the raising stock, but it worked out for Poe in KC. It's such a speed driven league now...assuming you have decent tape...training on getting faster alone can move you up several spots in the draft.

It worked for Aaron Donald as well.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A player doing well at the Combine usually just causes teams to go back and watch tape to see is that really how they played. Maybe just give them a 2nd look. I would say the players whose stock usually go up are those of small school guys that maybe have only been viewed once or twice by the decision makers where now they ran a 4.3 forty and they are getting the attention of the guys who matter.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A player doing well at the Combine usually just causes teams to go back and watch tape to see is that really how they played. Maybe just give them a 2nd look. I would say the players whose stock usually go up are those of small school guys that maybe have only been viewed once or twice by the decision makers where now they ran a 4.3 forty and they are getting the attention of the guys who matter.

Yep...Dri Archer was one of those players LY. PIT took him in the 3rd round mostly off his 4.29 time...now I still don't think he was used as he should've been, but the speed never translated to the NFL field. He was released this yr.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep...Dri Archer was one of those players LY. PIT took him in the 3rd round mostly off his 4.29 time...now I still don't think he was used as he should've been, but the speed never translated to the NFL field. He was released this yr.

Teams do seem to fall in love with speed more than they should. My guess is the RB from Georgia will get overdrafted because of his 40 time. Now I know he showed a couple of flashes on the field but if we go by tape alone he is an undrafted player

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Teams do seem to fall in love with speed more than they should. My guess is the RB from Georgia will get overdrafted because of his 40 time. Now I know he showed a couple of flashes on the field but if we go by tape alone he is an undrafted player

Archer...fast but not elusive. In fairness to him, he never got the touches to really ever get in the flow of the game as a RB...when he did get touches it was obvious and rarely made any splash plays.

Keith Marshall I think is the UGA RB...idk...GA had too many RBs...at one point, Michel, Marshall, Gurley, and Chubb were all on the team. The cream did rise to the top with Gurley pretty quickly and Chubb after him...Michel and Marshall were just overwhelmed by better talent...to your point, probably right but his 40 and bench were stellar...that got him on somebody's draft board.