• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2015 opens with Georgia Southern

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Allan Taylor ‏@AllanTaylorWVU 13m
Per @FBSchedules and Ga Southern AD Tom Kleinlein, the Eagles will play the 2015 football opener at #WVU (for $850K). WV MetroNews ? Georgia Southern to visit Morgantown in 2015, reportedly for $850,000

Anotherwvufan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What a bargain. Can we donate proceeds to WVU hospitals like the spring game?

DCWV4life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Didnt we pay UNLV 900,000 a couple fo years ago?

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
GA Southern, Liberty and Maryland ( IF that game is still a go after the Terps join the BIG)...... Anyone else think this screams mistake by Luck with the team we may have in '15?

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I keep hearing Luck talk about getting a better level of competition, about playing an NFL like schedule, HUH, buy out FSU, buy out MSU, bail on the H-Hs we had going with the SEC West, schedule TWO 1AA teams TWICE in three years, WOW. Trade ECU for 1AA team, I just dont get it. I figure the UMD game will still be on, the B11 and ACC have comparable schedules.

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
GA Southern, Liberty and Maryland ( IF that game is still a go after the Terps join the BIG)...... Anyone else think this screams mistake by Luck with the team we may have in '15?

Yeah... I truly don't get this one. Even if Georgia Southern is moving up to FBS, I would think a stronger MAC or CUSA team was available for next season.

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The more I have thought about and watched what has gone on, paying nearly $1,000,000 for a buy game of less than great strength, seeing the stadium no where near full, I think maybe we need to get Marshall on the schedule, they have a great deal of name recognition due the plane crash and movie, they generally field a decent team, the money stays at home, the stadium is packed and energized. I really have no interest in seeing the Mounties play some directional 1AA team every year, and from the attendance numbers there are others who feel that way too.

jarringjev

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
jarringjev

I may be wrong, and could be having a senior moment but I thought that Georgia Southern was going to be a FBS school in the Sunbelt Conference. If this is true then this game will be against perceivably better competition.

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
guess we will have to hope they can pull off a few more wins like the one vs Florida but I can think of several other programs that would have fit really well in this spot, including the Herd or ECU, the place would be full for either program I gree

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
guess we will have to hope they can pull off a few more wins like the one vs Florida but I can think of several other programs that would have fit really well in this spot, including the Herd or ECU, the place would be full for either program I gree

I dont understand changing the series with ECU to fill that spot with GASO, yes they are moving up to 1A, but they still are viewed as a weak team on our schedule.

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dont understand changing the series with ECU to fill that spot with GASO, yes they are moving up to 1A, but they still are viewed as a weak team on our schedule.

I haven't read an explanation yet, but I'd guess it has to do with the desire to free up future dates to provide a home game for WVU when they were scheduled to play at ECU. In order to cancel part of the future series, sacrificing the home game with ECU in '15 must have been part of the bargaining effort.

I'm sure ECU did no want to lose WVU as a home game for obvious reasons.

DCWV4life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I haven't read an explanation yet, but I'd guess it has to do with the desire to free up future dates to provide a home game for WVU when they were scheduled to play at ECU. In order to cancel part of the future series, sacrificing the home game with ECU in '15 must have been part of the bargaining effort.

I'm sure ECU did no want to lose WVU as a home game for obvious reasons.

I thought this was in a article a couple of weeks ago as to why? Wanted to open up more future games by dropping the ECU home and home.

I questioned the ECU series a while ago, why did we have such a long contract with them?

"Luck also told The Charleston Gazette that they have reduced a six-game series against East Carolina down to two games. West Virginia will now host East Carolina in Morgantown in 2017 and will travel to face the Pirates at Dowdy-Ficklen Stadium in Greenville in 2020.

“Currently, that [WVU-ECU series] is now home-and-home,” said Alex Hammond, WVU’s director of football operations. “Moving the six-year deal to two provides us the opportunity to schedule neutral-site games.”

As previously mentioned, one of those neutral-site games is against the Tennessee Volunteers. Hammond said that they are “…close to finalizing a deal to play Tennessee in Charlotte in 2018.”

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There you have it...

Anotherwvufan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The more I have thought about and watched what has gone on, paying nearly $1,000,000 for a buy game of less than great strength, seeing the stadium no where near full, I think maybe we need to get Marshall on the schedule, they have a great deal of name recognition due the plane crash and movie, they generally field a decent team, the money stays at home, the stadium is packed and energized. I really have no interest in seeing the Mounties play some directional 1AA team every year, and from the attendance numbers there are others who feel that way too.

I would take Marshall over Liberty/Georgia Southern/Little Sisters of the Poor anyday. That game would at least mean something. The problem with our little brothers to the west is that they want a home and home and send us to thier rinky dink 30K stadium. I can see going to ECU as they do have a bigger stadium and we are drawing kids from NC.

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
SO, we are cancelling a 4-2 series with a Carolina school, to schedule a neutral site game to get exposure in the Carolinas, got ya, Luck logic once again.

DCWV4life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From WVU media box: According to information provided in the handout, the historical average team payout of $4.3 million for the Chick-fil-A Kickoff Game is higher than more than 20 bowl games.

We can play in the Carolinas and earn a nice payday as well. Are we really going to start crying over dropping ECU?

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No!!!

Unless you're a whiny bitch...

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From WVU media box: According to information provided in the handout, the historical average team payout of $4.3 million for the Chick-fil-A Kickoff Game is higher than more than 20 bowl games.

We can play in the Carolinas and earn a nice payday as well. Are we really going to start crying over dropping ECU?

Hell, if all we are going to talk about is how much money we can make, lets bulldoze the stadium, it costs a fortune to maintain and operate, and just go from one neutral site pay to play game to the next. No one is crying, my friend, our AD said just a couple of weeks ago that he wants to play an NFL type schedule where the team is challenged each week, the same AD who bought out games with FSU to replace with JMU at a neutral site, and GAST at home this past year, the same AD who bought out of the MSU series and has Alabama at a neutral site, plus a 1AA team in 2015, now buys out of ECU to play ANOTHER 1AA team......Just saying.