• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2015 Entry Draft Thread

Cbrower91

Donkey Bonker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Looks like they are figuring on Grosenick and Stalock? I am OK with nemo gone...

Today, the sharks seem to have done better. They got the 1st round talent defenseman. They added a point per game senior Dman from Harvard, who may be NHL capable right away. They added another couple D to the system, including the tall wisconsin recruit parcells. And they added UNH's future goalie. They certainly seem to be drafting wisely for need.Now they need 2 of the 4 or 5 D that they have added to actually develop into NHL players...
I know they are high on Grosenick, and I personally believe he can be every bit as good as Ryan Miller but much more mentally tough. However if they are going into the season with Stalock and Grosenick as their starters it's going to be a long season, I really hope they land Talbot. Not that's a sure fire thing but it's better.

UNH isn't nessacarily a goalie factory. However I like the other 2 dmen they picked up both Wisconsin and Harvard produce quality players on a regular basis

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Talbot went to Edmonton. Ducks picked up another goalie which makes me wonder if one of Anderson or Gibson is on the move.

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I really like the Vela pick and the late round pick of a goalie. All in all this was an okay draft for the Sharks.

Yeah, 2 UNHers (vela and robinson), 4 total NCAA, 2 latvians, 3 CHLers. Quite a variety in terms of nationality, position, development league, etc. Be nice is the Vela pick does turn out well... Be nice to have another pavelski :-)

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Rask's name getting tossed about a lot in trade rumors.

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Rask's name getting tossed about a lot in trade rumors.

I'd be thrilled to get him, but I cannot imagine he'd come cheap. A vezina winner in 2014, a stanley cup champ (even tho he didnt play), sub 2.00GAA in the PO's the last couple years? This is the resume of a big name and while he has a big price tag, the asking price in trade has gotta be giant. Unless Boston just wants a salary dump, I wouldnt give up too much for him.

Cbrower91

Donkey Bonker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I'd be thrilled to get him, but I cannot imagine he'd come cheap. A vezina winner in 2014, a stanley cup champ (even tho he didnt play), sub 2.00GAA in the PO's the last couple years? This is the resume of a big name and while he has a big price tag, the asking price in trade has gotta be giant. Unless Boston just wants a salary dump, I wouldnt give up too much for him.
Considering what Hamilton went for and the fact the ruins have Malcolm Subban in the minors I don't think it would cost much to get him. Bruins are in a full rebuild shedding salary seems to be more important then the return

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Considering what Hamilton went for and the fact the ruins have Malcolm Subban in the minors I don't think it would cost much to get him. Bruins are in a full rebuild shedding salary seems to be more important then the return

if they could get him for nothing, then... um yes please! That would certainly take care of one position for quite a while. I would be shocked if rask suddenly sucked.

Id deal a 2nd rounder, but I wouldnt deal their 1st (given the reasonable liklihood that it will be a top 10 pick next year too). We'll see, but if the price is really low, then I am all for it. the 7M price tag doesnt bother me given the sharks contracts going forward, and the soon-to-be expiring 14M to the big two.

Cbrower91

Donkey Bonker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
if they could get him for nothing, then... um yes please! That would certainly take care of one position for quite a while. I would be shocked if rask suddenly sucked.

Id deal a 2nd rounder, but I wouldnt deal their 1st (given the reasonable liklihood that it will be a top 10 pick next year too). We'll see, but if the price is really low, then I am all for it. the 7M price tag doesnt bother me given the sharks contracts going forward, and the soon-to-be expiring 14M to the big two.

Rask and Chara? Lol I mean it doesn't make much sense for the Sharks they aren't winning now but it's an interesting idea

Cbrower91

Donkey Bonker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

Our conversations are so much more pleasant in the off season lol

Cbrower91

Donkey Bonker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I wonder if the Sharks will pursue Eric Fehr to shore up the 4th line?

MrChangoT97

Dr. Pepper is the bomb
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I want something exciting to happen, I want to be happy and filled with joy during this off-season

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I wonder if the Sharks will pursue Eric Fehr to shore up the 4th line?

they might but I dont expect their add much to the forwards...They have 13 forwards signed already and several forwards who should get a good luck in training camp, and I know dougie usually likes to leave one or two spots open for that competition. They have brown, torres, smith, and goodrow already. I know that there are some injuries there, but I dont see the point of shopping for another depth forward.

D is where dougie is gunna have to go real shopping. Goalie maybe too, but they are way way short on D, so basically that's where it needs to go. Wonder I he's gunna go after mike green. Not sure I'd like it, but he is a similar kind of player as Boyle, who can play big minutes and run a PP. Defensively iffy I suppose, but still interesting. His number may be lower too...

Either way, July 1 should involve the sharks given the cap space, and obvious need. I just really hope dougie doesn't do his massive overpay for a shlub routine (see brown, burish, etc...) If douge can add two solid top 4 Dmen (martin, bouchemin, oduya, sekera, etc.) then the sharks could make a run. They would be replacing hannan and irwin with bouchemin and martin which would make them a whole lot better on the back end. And, though the big two are a year older, the experience gained by the younger guys (nieto, hertl, tierney and karlsson specifically) should give the sharks a much more potent offense.

If dougie does well addign D, and finds a solid NHL goalie, the sharks could contend for the PO's. If they make the PO's and can compete there, then this summer will be a massive success. If not, then its just another year of wasted Patty-Jumbo contract and by next summer, those two will have next to zero trade value and will have played out their careers on a losing team with dougie getting no return on them. In other words, this upcoming season will tell the tale as to whether dougie made the biggest mistake of his career last summer keeping both or if he can be forgiven by making the PO's this year.

23sharks

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
they might but I dont expect their add much to the forwards...They have 13 forwards signed already and several forwards who should get a good luck in training camp, and I know dougie usually likes to leave one or two spots open for that competition. They have brown, torres, smith, and goodrow already. I know that there are some injuries there, but I dont see the point of shopping for another depth forward.

D is where dougie is gunna have to go real shopping. Goalie maybe too, but they are way way short on D, so basically that's where it needs to go. Wonder I he's gunna go after mike green. Not sure I'd like it, but he is a similar kind of player as Boyle, who can play big minutes and run a PP. Defensively iffy I suppose, but still interesting. His number may be lower too...

Either way, July 1 should involve the sharks given the cap space, and obvious need. I just really hope dougie doesn't do his massive overpay for a shlub routine (see brown, burish, etc...) If douge can add two solid top 4 Dmen (martin, bouchemin, oduya, sekera, etc.) then the sharks could make a run. They would be replacing hannan and irwin with bouchemin and martin which would make them a whole lot better on the back end. And, though the big two are a year older, the experience gained by the younger guys (nieto, hertl, tierney and karlsson specifically) should give the sharks a much more potent offense.

If dougie does well addign D, and finds a solid NHL goalie, the sharks could contend for the PO's. If they make the PO's and can compete there, then this summer will be a massive success. If not, then its just another year of wasted Patty-Jumbo contract and by next summer, those two will have next to zero trade value and will have played out their careers on a losing team with dougie getting no return on them. In other words, this upcoming season will tell the tale as to whether dougie made the biggest mistake of his career last summer keeping both or if he can be forgiven by making the PO's this year.

Totally agree. The forwards should be fine, especially if a couple of the younger guys take a step forward.
D is the problem.....they definitely need 2 Top 4 D-men, plus another solid goalie. That's really not all that bad, especially considering how shitty last season went.
The problem is people don't like to trade away top D-men like that. Getting Hamilton would have a great move, but no use crying over that now...Wilson just needs to be aggressive and get the team going in the right direction, like he said he's going to.....Actions speak louder than words, especially after all his tough talk last off season.....and then he did NOTHING to improve them team.

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Our conversations are so much more pleasant in the off season lol

haha, true. Thogh patty still sucks and im still so bummer that I have to watch his bipolar, pussy-ass, hop-out-of-the-way-of-a-key-slap-shot vagina all year again next season. hahaha, couldn't help myself :-)

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Totally agree. The forwards should be fine, especially if a couple of the younger guys take a step forward.
D is the problem.....they definitely need 2 Top 4 D-men, plus another solid goalie. That's really not all that bad, especially considering how shitty last season went.
The problem is people don't like to trade away top D-men like that. Getting Hamilton would have a great move, but no use crying over that now...Wilson just needs to be aggressive and get the team going in the right direction, like he said he's going to.....Actions speak louder than words, especially after all his tough talk last off season.....and then he did NOTHING to improve them team.

In all honesty, if dougie can add two good D and a goalie by UFA (which is fully possible given the UFA class and the cap space), the sharks could be fine. Martin (4 yrs, 16M) and Beauchemin (3 yrs, 12M) are reasonable deals given their ages (both would be signed thru age 37). Both can play 20-22 mins/gm, though both are older players so injuries are more likely. A top 7 of Burns, vlasic, Braun, Martin, Beauchemin, Dillon and Mueller would be a very solid squad that could compliment the solid forward crew. At goalie, its pretty unsure, as there arent great options out there, but the cap space even after signing 2 top 4 dmen is still not an issue either this upcoming year, or in the long term. When the time comes for big raises to some of the younger guys (like hertl, nieto, etc) the big two will be gone, so dougie has cap flexibility forever.

Cbrower91

Donkey Bonker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
In all honesty, if dougie can add two good D and a goalie by UFA (which is fully possible given the UFA class and the cap space), the sharks could be fine. Martin (4 yrs, 16M) and Beauchemin (3 yrs, 12M) are reasonable deals given their ages (both would be signed thru age 37). Both can play 20-22 mins/gm, though both are older players so injuries are more likely. A top 7 of Burns, vlasic, Braun, Martin, Beauchemin, Dillon and Mueller would be a very solid squad that could compliment the solid forward crew. At goalie, its pretty unsure, as there arent great options out there, but the cap space even after signing 2 top 4 dmen is still not an issue either this upcoming year, or in the long term. When the time comes for big raises to some of the younger guys (like hertl, nieto, etc) the big two will be gone, so dougie has cap flexibility forever.
I don't think beauchmin is going to hit the market he's already stated he wants to stay in Anaheim and Murray said he intends on signing him, plus id rather see a younger signing. I'd like to see them land green and fronson or one of them and resign Irwin. Martin is a spent force now as well I don't think he's worth the cap hit.

As for goalies Ramo seems to be the best bet unless Subban, Rask, or Gibson are available

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I don't think beauchmin is going to hit the market he's already stated he wants to stay in Anaheim and Murray said he intends on signing him, plus id rather see a younger signing. I'd like to see them land green and fronson or one of them and resign Irwin. Martin is a spent force now as well I don't think he's worth the cap hit.

As for goalies Ramo seems to be the best bet unless Subban, Rask, or Gibson are available

If Beauchemin isnt available, that would be unfortunately, as I really like his game even at his age. I also understand the age argument, but younger UFA D cost more. Green could end up 6.5-7M per at 5+ years and personally, I don't love that deal. he's a great PP guy, but Washington had a lot of success because they could limit his EV mins and hide him against 3rd and 4th lines. Franson is interesting as but also suspect in his own zone, and may also command 5+ per, as crazy as that sounds, and nashville only played him 15 mins/gm which tells you something. Sakera may command a similar 5+. The sub-30 year old UFA Dmen are few and generally like to hold out for 5+ years at big money. That's why taking a shorter term with older guys gives dougie a competitive team today but with more flexibility going forward and allows more room for trades and for the development of Mueller, Roy, and Bergman in the next few years.

I don't love the younger options out there and this year there isnt the Ryan Suter type guy who is a no brainer to chase for a team like the sharks. A stop gap seems a better bet. Although obviously many of these guys will be resigned before next summer, the crop of to-be-ufas next summer seems better. Byfuglien, Seabrook (yeah right), erik johnson, Giordano (yeah right), Yandle, Goligoski among others are all set to be UFAs with several good RFA's as well.

No great options at goalie, so whatever they do will leave big question marks. however, with the exception of a few guys, I think the goalie position is more a reflection of the team in front than the goalie. There are countless goalie shlubs who switch to better defensive teams and suddenly become studs. unless the sharks were going for a top star, any serviceable guy will do. Ramo is fine for little money.