• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2015-2016 CHL season

juliansteed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well it's the sweet time of year where the whether is still great out but I can start attend pre-season CHL games. The Sea Dogs play their 1st pre-season game tonight and everyone is pumped to get their 1st look at 2000 born Joseph Valeno who is the 1st player ever to be granted exceptional status to play in the Q at 15.

BGDave

Grumpy Old Man
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
[And until May], the almighty Oshawa Generals are the Champions!!!!

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some pics from the Canalta Centre (new home of the Medicine Hat Tigers starting this season)

scoreclock.jpg lower_bowl.jpg

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"You asked for a legal memorandum on whether minor-aged hockey players for the WHL were, under Washington law, in an employment relationship with the teams for which they played," Dixon wrote.

"In my Oct. 22, 2014 memo, I advised that the only exemption to the broad definition of employee contained in the Industrial Welfare Act that might apply to the players is the exemption for interns/trainees. However, the players probably do not meet each of the six elements to qualify as trainees under the department and the DOL's policy because, for one thing, the WHL teams receive an immediate benefit by being able to field a team that includes minor players."

In a March 2015 report to her colleagues, Kane echoed Dixon's opinion.

"The hockey teams are for-profit (companies) and we are convinced that the teams are receiving an immediate advantage from the players," Kane wrote. Therefore, she wrote, players should be considered employees instead of trainees.

"In addition, players from out of the United States do obtain P-1 Visas to enter the United States and these visas are for internationally recognized athletes," Kane added. "The visa allows the players to be in the US and 'work.' I recommend that the minor players of the WHL should be treated as employees for the purposes of the child labor laws in Washington state."

The documents also highlight that the WHL appears to have no policy that dictates how much money players should be reimbursed for living expenses.

Everett and Tri-City players under the age of 20 get $250 a month, the government documents show. Players who are 20 get $350 and in Everett, a player who owns a car gets another $120.

Seattle players get $350 and Spokane players get a maximum of $250.

‘Flawed’ WHL law was passed against legal advice - Article - TSN

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well it's the sweet time of year where the whether is still great out but I can start attend pre-season CHL games. The Sea Dogs play their 1st pre-season game tonight and everyone is pumped to get their 1st look at 2000 born Joseph Valeno who is the 1st player ever to be granted exceptional status to play in the Q at 15.

Its Veleno

/the more you know moment of the day ... Veleno is the italian word for poison :thumb:

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am embarrassed to say that, even though I grew up in an Italian neighborhood, the only word of that I recognized was "culo".

Throw it into an online translator, I need some validation for my joke! :wink:

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Looking forward to hearing about Thomas Chabot (Sens 18th overall pick) from you JS.

juliansteed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its Veleno

/the more you know moment of the day ... Veleno is the italian word for poison :thumb:

Umm yeah, pretty bad that I've been pumped to watch him play since he was granted exceptional status in June, and spell his name wrong. :L

Anyway he looked great last night. Had a goal and an assist but easily could have had more if his linemates could finish. Was easily the best player on the ice for both teams. That being said, neither team played many veterans. Both teams played mostly rookies and/or guys who are the bubble to make the team. Still not bad for 15 playing with and against some guys as old as 19 last night.

juliansteed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looking forward to hearing about Thomas Chabot (Sens 18th overall pick) from you JS.

I look forward to watching him this season. The Sea Dogs are pretty stacked at D this year and he's 1 of the main reasons why. As per my last post, he did not play in last night's pre-season game.

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Lost in the ABYSS that is Islanders Hockey.
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I read that he has lost his passion for the game of hockey.

I've heard one thing that people are concerned about with regards to sports with kids is getting burnt out due to playing the same sport year round. I wonder if that's possibly what's happened. Maybe he needs a break. I hope that's all this is. Going into the draft Ryan was projected to go in the 2nd round by just about everybody. I know he had a rough combine, but I thought that was due to injury. I know he was at Islanders prospect camp & couldn't participate in the prospects game because he was injured.

Whatever it is he needs to figure out I hope he does. Whether he plays hockey or not.

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've heard one thing that people are concerned about with regards to sports with kids is getting burnt out due to playing the same sport year round. I wonder if that's possibly what's happened. Maybe he needs a break. I hope that's all this is. Going into the draft Ryan was projected to go in the 2nd round by just about everybody. I know he had a rough combine, but I thought that was due to injury. I know he was at Islanders prospect camp & couldn't participate in the prospects game because he was injured.

Whatever it is he needs to figure out I hope he does. Whether he plays hockey or not.

I remember talking to Scarberia's own Brad Park a few years ago at a game I played against the Bruins Alumni, and we talked briefly about his nephew (who I'd played with) and about kids getting "burnt out". He told me that whenever he makes appearances tons of parents ask him what they should do to make their kid an NHL player, and he tells them all to make sure their kids are doing tons of other shit. They pretty much universally say "Oh, but Johnny loves to play hockey, he really wants to play all the time all year round". And Park asks them "So if he really wants to stay up until 3 am every night, do you let him do that too?"

juliansteed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Regular season in the Q started tonight with the QMJHL champ Rimouski losing 7-2 to Shawinigan.

Kinda sucks that the Q starts so early with most of the better players away attending pro camps. But that's the Q for you!

tducey

Sports discussion
Hoopla Cash
$ 46,233.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looking forward to it starting. Go Oshawa Generals.