• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2014 Top Prospects

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In Sabean We Trust.

Of course, all my faith in Vogey dissolves if we have to make a choice between him, and making the winning offer for Tomas.

Now that you know what I am, all you need to do is negotiate the price.

:wink:

If it is an either-or situation, then absolutely, go for Tomas. He is a kid who can solidify an OF slot for 6 years. Vogey is a one-year Band-Aid.

If we get Tomas, we could have 2 Cubans in our starting OF come the ASB, with Pagan either in a rotation with Tomas and Carbonell, or just as a 4th OFer.

I am THAT excited about Carbonell. I think he could potentially push a healthy Pagan by mid-season. Not that Pagan will be healthy for us to ever find out, though...

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If it is an either-or situation, then absolutely, go for Tomas. He is a kid who can solidify an OF slot for 6 years. Vogey is a one-year Band-Aid.

If we get Tomas, we could have 2 Cubans in our starting OF come the ASB, with Pagan either in a rotation with Tomas and Carbonell, or just as a 4th OFer.

I am THAT excited about Carbonell. I think he could potentially push a healthy Pagan by mid-season. Not that Pagan will be healthy for us to ever find out, though...

And we likely need another quality OF, regardless of who it is, more than we need to re-sign Vogey.

Right now the outfield for 2015 is Blanco - Pagan - Pence, with two unproven minor leaguers as reserves. That outfield scares me more than a rotation without Vogey. I'd really like to see us get someone better than Blanco, so that Blanco can be his more appropriate #4 OF self.

I like Carbonnel's potential, too, but I'd like to see him produce in the Show before I would commit more payroll to an SP in lieu of another OF.

Last edited by a moderator:

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And we likely need another quality OF, regardless of who it is, more than we need to re-sign Vogey.

Right now the outfield for 2015 is Blanco - Pagan - Pence, with two unproven minor leaguers as reserves. That outfield scares me more than a rotation without Vogey. I'd really like to see us get someone better than Blanco, so that Blanco can be his more appropriate #4 OF self.

I like Carbonnel's potential, too, but I'd like to see him produce in the Show before I would commit more payroll to an SP in lieu of another OF.

:agree: :10:

We have to go with 4 starting level OFers if one of the 4 is going to be Pagan. It is really that simple.

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:agree: :10:

We have to go with 4 starting level OFers if one of the 4 is going to be Pagan. It is really that simple.

I would be VERY happy with an outfield of Tomas - Pagan - Pence, with Blanco as the super-sub #4, and Carbonell as the #5 here to keep Tomas happy, and eventually become the 5-tool, .900 OPS OF we all know for certain he will be.

:nod:

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would be VERY happy with an outfield of Tomas - Pagan - Pence, with Blanco as the super-sub #4, and Carbonell as the #5 here to keep Tomas happy, and eventually become the 5-tool, .900 OPS OF we all know for certain he will be.

:nod:

I would rather Carbonell start the season in Richmond or sacto. He still needs to play, not sit. He is first call up to take the 4-job if a starter (Pagan) goes down.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also remember...

If we do sign Tomas, he will likely still start in Sacto. He hasn't played in over a year.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
An old write-up on Strickland. I think it was written right about the time we claimed him off waivers from Pittsburgh...

Hunter Strickland | Pirates Prospects Player Pages

Relatedly, tomorrow is his 26th birthday.

Dude looks ready to me. Although I'm probably a little less important than Bochy on this.

Seems like an easy call to let Romo go, sadly. But hardly any player can be expected to play a whole career in one place anymore.

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also remember...

If we do sign Tomas, he will likely still start in Sacto. He hasn't played in over a year.

Perhaps so, but between winter conditioning and other opportunities, and spring training, don't blink while he is in Sacto, or you might miss him.

If we indeed sign him...

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Perhaps so, but between winter conditioning and other opportunities, and spring training, don't blink while he is in Sacto, or you might miss him.

If we indeed sign him...

After I posted that, I changed my mind. If he is signed, I would expect it would be similar to A brew in that he would use ST to get ready. (Not saying he is Abreu-level talent)

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dude looks ready to me. Although I'm probably a little less important than Bochy on this.

Seems like an easy call to let Romo go, sadly. But hardly any player can be expected to play a whole career in one place anymore.

He earned his post-season roster spot last night, and KCYa is feeling the breathing on the back of his neck.

And yes, I would be SHOCKED if Romo is back.

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After I posted that, I changed my mind. If he is signed, I would expect it would be similar to A brew in that he would use ST to get ready. (Not saying he is Abreu-level talent)

But you are correct from a practical standpoint about Carbonell in that he needs to play. My point about having Carbonell in the Show was much more about him making Tomas comfortable in transition socially. But that really shouldn't be necessary. What do I know, maybe they hate each other's guts for any of a 100 possible reasons.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But you are correct from a practical standpoint about Carbonell in that he needs to play. My point about having Carbonell in the Show was much more about him making Tomas comfortable in transition socially. But that really shouldn't be necessary. What do I know, maybe they hate each other's guts for any of a 100 possible reasons.

I heard from my father (big Sox fan) that for some reason Puig and Abreu don't like each other...

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I heard from my father (big Sox fan) that for some reason Puig and Abreu don't like each other...
People in Cuba might think that those teams in San Francisco and los Angeles must really like each other. After all they're even in the same state!
:noidea:

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Last edited by a moderator:

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great news on Cabrera.

For a year that looked kinda bad for the Giants minor league system, there was still some good to come out of it. They got a ton of help from unexpected sources, and there was good news even after the Mac injury.

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great news on Cabrera.

For a year that looked kinda bad for the Giants minor league system, there was still some good to come out of it. They got a ton of help from unexpected sources, and there was good news even after the Mac injury.

It is very gratifying to see the Giants minor league system producing some genuine major league talent. Prior to Lincecum/Cain/Posey/Bum, for years it seemed like there was literally (sorry, Cal) nobody of consequence coming from our system.

It reminds me of my MBA days in college. Our big project was The Game, where the management teams put in their decisions (R&D expenditures, how much to produce, whether to expand capacity, build a warehouse, etc.) twice a week into a computer simulation. The main variable was how much R&D money you spent. The more you spent, the more and better products came out for you to sell, and you made more money with better products. That's what our farm system is turning into. We are clearly putting some major and consistent effort (money) into it, and we are reaping some consistent benefits. At the moment, we may not have many top 100 prospects per the "experts", but we are clearly turning out some solid and useful players with genuine futures that we can begin to plan around.