• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2014 Tennessee football thread

WestEndVol

Rarest Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
22 days

OBkvunzl.jpg

WestEndVol

Rarest Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What follows are some of the most interesting comments following Monday morning’s Vol workout:

Head coach Butch Jones on the quarterback competition: “We are getting closer to naming a starting quarterback. I’m going to go back and watch the film (of Saturday night’s scrimmage) this morning and a little bit tonight but I expect if things go the way they’ve been going we’ll name a starting quarterback at some point this week. But I’m not going to set any time frames. If it happens it happens. There are no deadlines. We have time.”

Jones on the fluid nature of a depth chart: “Roles change. Josh Dobbs is a prime example. He didn’t even make the travel team when we played Florida last year, then a couple of weeks later he’s our starting quarterback. You define roles but roles are ever-changing.”

Jones on four freshmen getting their helmet stripe removed: “It was the player staff (that made the decision). Those four individuals (tight end Ethan Wolf, running back Jalen Hurd, defensive end Derek Barnett and cornerback Emmanuel Moseley) have earned the right to have their stripes taken off. It’s something they’ll remember forever in their Tennessee careers. When your peers elect to have your stripe taken off that’s a pretty big deal, very deservingly so. And it’s an illustration to the rest of the young players that you’re competing each and every day, in everything from your body language to your approach in the meeting rooms to the way you take the practice field to your style of play is being evaluated.”

Jones on Marlin Lane’s Saturday night scrimmage performance: “Marlin got some very beneficial reps Saturday night, not only in the run game and out on the perimeter (as a receiver) but also in the pass-protection game and in our wildcat package, which we’ll see a number of different running backs (operate), as well.”

Jones on freshman defensive tackle Michael Sawyers: “He’s a work in progress. It gets back to physical stamina … him understanding what it takes to play at a high level in terms of finishing plays. He’s nowhere (in terms of) game-ready where he needs to be. What I like about Michael is he understands where he’s at, he’s able and he’s willing.”

Senior running back Devrin Young on what Jalen Hurd has shown to earn getting his helmet stripe removed: “A great work ethic, explosive plays. He knows he doesn’t have the luxury of time to develop as a freshman. He has to play now, and he’s earned it.”

Young on offensive progress: “It’s progressing pretty good. We’ve got a lot of playmakers – in the backfield and on the perimeter. Our big guys up front are playing hard, and I believe in our quarterbacks, as well. I feel pretty good about our offense.”

Cam Sutton on Emmanuel Moseley, likely starter at the other corner spot: “He’s a very competitive kid, always in his notebook, always asking questions. He’s a very hard worker.”

Sutton on what Moseley did to earn having his stripe removed: “Just making plays. That’s what we’re all about on our back end (secondary). He’s familiar with our defensive playbook and he’s preparing for game day.”

Left guard Marcus Jackson on the battle at left tackle between senior Jacob Gilliam and JUCO transfer Dontavius Blair: “Gilliam came here as a walk-on, redshirted and has made great strides. He’s a good tackle. Blair is coming along, too, but still needs to get better, as we all do.”

Jackson on his confidence level that either Gilliam or Blair will prove capable at left tackle: “Oh, yes. If he’s earned that spot he’s going to be a good player.”

Scout.com: PRACTICE 10 QUOTES: Butch on QBs, helmet stripes

WestEndVol

Rarest Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Last edited by a moderator:

WestEndVol

Rarest Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
asked a question in the availability session that followed, Jones made it clear to them that they hadn't missed much that was impressive.

"As a whole, I didn't like our approach," Jones said. "I thought we lacked intensity, gave up way too many big plays defensively. I didn't think we came to play defensively. Too many pre-snap penalties on offense. ... I was just not pleased with our overall mentality and intensity which it takes to compete on a high level."

There were, Jones said, a handful of bright spots and Jones said he was actually happy with the play of each of the quarterbacks. He did not announce a starter among senior Justin Worley, sophomore Josh Dobbs and redshirt sophomore Nathan Peterman, but said he is very close to doing so.

"I'm hoping maybe in the next day or two, we'll make that decision," Jones said. "I think it's important for our football team moving forward that they know who the starting quarterback is. I've been pleased with all three individuals lately. They've done a very, very good job of handling the volume of the offense that we have in, but more importantly, taking care of the football and making great decisions with the football, having command of the line of scrimmage. We'll go back tonight. We've charted every single throw every quarterback has made in practice. We're getting very close to naming a starter."

Still, Jones was under no illusion that the defensive breakdowns on Wednesday came entirely because of spectacular play on the part of those three or any one else on the offense.

"I didn't think we played the ball exceptionally well on defense," Jones said. "We've been playing the ball well all training camp. As a corner, you're going to give up a big play, that's the nature of the position. It's that snap-and-clear mentality, play the next play, have a short-term memory. I thought we let a play affect us three plays later down the road. That's part of that maturation process that we talked about."

Jones said he understands that much of Wednesday's shortcomings occurred because camp is taking a significant toll on the players' bodies at this point, but by having a scrimmage on Wednesday night, they were actually getting out of what had previously been scheduled as a two-a-day with a 9 a.m. first practice. He also admitted that the young defensive players may be going through some "schematic overload," as one reporter put it, but said that still doesn't make the performance acceptable.

"We have a lot of installation in," Jones said. "... But that's not an excuse. The older players have actually done a great job of really mentoring the younger players in terms of their assignments and really spending time. But you have to be able to play fast. Football is a game played by really intelligent people. You have to think fast and you have to make split-second decisions."

Jones was particularly disappointed because he's already seen better from this team, especially in a scrimmage last Saturday at Neyland.

"The last time we came in this great arena, I could feel the intensity, I could feel the excitement." Jones said. "I didn't feel it tonight. That responsibility is on the shoulders of our older players, our seniors, the few that we have, our veteran players, but it's everyone."

Jones said scrimmage ?lacked intensity? - GoVolsXtra Story

Tin Man

Loquacious Constituent
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,025.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh great, whoever starts will have a crappy year but play like Peyton Manning against us.

No, my fine Bammer. Every Vols player will have a season-defining moment against the Tide. Each will play better than they ever have before, better than they will play together in any other game during 2014. Despite being outmatched in several critical areas, Tennessee will find a way to steal victory from Alabama. At the moment time expires, the juxtaposition between the manifest feelings evident on the coaches and players faces will be fodder for innumerable reports, crossing into non-sports genres, and into the monologues of variety show hosts. It will make Tennessee's season. It will not end Alabama's.

bamabear82

I ♥ t-baggin
Hoopla Cash
$ 709.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, my fine Bammer. Every Vols player will have a season-defining moment against the Tide. Each will play better than they ever have before, better than they will play together in any other game during 2014. Despite being outmatched in several critical areas, Tennessee will find a way to steal victory from Alabama. At the moment time expires, the juxtaposition between the manifest feelings evident on the coaches and players faces will be fodder for innumerable reports, crossing into non-sports genres, and into the monologues of variety show hosts. It will make Tennessee's season. It will not end Alabama's.

:spit:

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Remember kids, say no to crack.

TigerBait1971

Roll Tide? What? FUCK YOU! lolz
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Worley named starter at QB

Last edited by a moderator:

WestEndVol

Rarest Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My only concern about Worely starting is that he's not mobile enough for Jones' system. Kinda like Tyler Bray trying to run the spread. He does have experience going for him though...I'll just have to trust the coaches.