• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2014 offseason thread

bvanthielriceyoung

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Contract evaluations

NinerCapHell.com | 2014 Salaries

Hopefully I'm looking at these numbers correctly. Here are some commments on salaries on our team and what to do.

-1st, Joe Staleys contract is probably one of the best contracts we have ever done. Absolute steal and its a long term contract. Loved it then and still love it now.

-Carlos Rogers contract is just plain ugly. I hated it and he's definitely gone next year. Just cant sign older guys to these huge contracts.

-There are few mid level guys contracts that I dont like that just seem to eat up cap room. All this money could be combined and given to a top guy. A few of the contracts that stick out are Craig Dahl at 2.2 mil, Spillman at 1.5, Skuta at 1.65, Baldwin at 1.3, and Synder at 1.3. Skuta plays well but is still a back up. Dahls is the most glaring. If all this salary is combined, you can sign a pretty good player or atleast a big chunk of the contract. These guys just dont seem to offer that much value and I would rather just fill the spots with draft picks. Lamichael James is another, at close to a million that doesn't offer much. Baldwin and James are on rookie deals I believe so the front office gets a pass for that but it'll be nice when they come off the books.

-I really liked the signing at the time but Anthony Davis really needs to step up his game to justify the contract. He played ok this year but probably regressed a little from last year. Its a very long contract and when he signed it, the thought was he is going to get better and is still very young.

-It's too bad Alex Boones contract wasn't for longer. Love the amount and obvious production we are getting out of him but we have a lot of expiring contracts coming up next year.

-Its crazy to think how much money we will have tied up in our LB's in 2015. They are the best in the league but we will have close to 40 million. Brooks has played very well but his contract just sticks out to me. It almost seems like that money could be better spent in other places.

-Gore definitely needs to restructure in a big way. (6.4 mil I believe he is to make) Its way too much money for a RB that really cant carry the full load anymore.

-Overall we are in pretty decent shape. We have a lot of draft picks and obviously these are vital to hit on. Not only to replace our older guys but it helps a lot to get these favorable contracts. With where our team is, this draft is going to be absolutely crucial. It will decide if our window stays open for a few more years or comes crashing shut in a year.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
cutting Snyder opens $1,050,000
cutting Rogers opens $5,194,531
cutting Baldwin opens $1,377,765
cutting Dahl opens 1,416,667
cutting Gore almost unthinkable opens $6,450,000

bvanthielriceyoung

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

excellent, good info. Seems pretty easy decisions except for Gore.

shouldakepowens

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well we can if wanted to. No Im saying they need a combo of things on that list.

49ers after cutting Rogers will have like 25 million to spend. Now if Gore and VD take a pay cut we can get that number to like 30 million. That is enough to do all those things. Will it happen no, only in a perfect world. kap deal I would do in the middle of the year so it wont affect this years numbers.

I read we're only 6 under. Cut Rogers we'll be 13-14. No way Gore comes back at 6mil either some decisions gotta be made.

shouldakepowens

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cutting all those guys puts us around 20? What about McCoy?

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ninercaphell has us currently at $8,766,992 under the cap.

We can accumulate $17,805,955 of cap space if we cut Rogers, Baldwin, Dahl, and Snyder.

Leaves us with enough room to re-sign Boldin for $7M and Dawson for $2M. Then double Aldon's cap hit with a new deal and extend Crabs with a new deal with less than double what his cap hit is going to be. Whitner would have to be replaced in the draft. Kaep extended next off-season.

49er4life1979

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I read we're only 6 under. Cut Rogers we'll be 13-14. No way Gore comes back at 6mil either some decisions gotta be made.

I agree. Rogers is as good as gone. He is 32 and has lost a step, although still decent. But we need better. We need to upgrade the CB position...Cutting some players and creatively restructuring others should open up some cap room to play with.

49er4life1979

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NinerCapHell.com | 2014 Salaries

Hopefully I'm looking at these numbers correctly. Here are some commments on salaries on our team and what to do.

-1st, Joe Staleys contract is probably one of the best contracts we have ever done. Absolute steal and its a long term contract. Loved it then and still love it now.

-Carlos Rogers contract is just plain ugly. I hated it and he's definitely gone next year. Just cant sign older guys to these huge contracts.

-There are few mid level guys contracts that I dont like that just seem to eat up cap room. All this money could be combined and given to a top guy. A few of the contracts that stick out are Craig Dahl at 2.2 mil, Spillman at 1.5, Skuta at 1.65, Baldwin at 1.3, and Synder at 1.3. Skuta plays well but is still a back up. Dahls is the most glaring. If all this salary is combined, you can sign a pretty good player or atleast a big chunk of the contract. These guys just dont seem to offer that much value and I would rather just fill the spots with draft picks. Lamichael James is another, at close to a million that doesn't offer much. Baldwin and James are on rookie deals I believe so the front office gets a pass for that but it'll be nice when they come off the books.

-I really liked the signing at the time but Anthony Davis really needs to step up his game to justify the contract. He played ok this year but probably regressed a little from last year. Its a very long contract and when he signed it, the thought was he is going to get better and is still very young.

-It's too bad Alex Boones contract wasn't for longer. Love the amount and obvious production we are getting out of him but we have a lot of expiring contracts coming up next year.

-Its crazy to think how much money we will have tied up in our LB's in 2015. They are the best in the league but we will have close to 40 million. Brooks has played very well but his contract just sticks out to me. It almost seems like that money could be better spent in other places.

-Gore definitely needs to restructure in a big way. (6.4 mil I believe he is to make) Its way too much money for a RB that really cant carry the full load anymore.

-Overall we are in pretty decent shape. We have a lot of draft picks and obviously these are vital to hit on. Not only to replace our older guys but it helps a lot to get these favorable contracts. With where our team is, this draft is going to be absolutely crucial. It will decide if our window stays open for a few more years or comes crashing shut in a year.

Speaking of Boone, would it be better to extend him rather than Iupati?...We still have Boone signed for 2 more seasons so thats great!...Speaking of our LBs, Aldon still has not gotten his extension, stay tuned for that!

bvanthielriceyoung

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Speaking of Boone, would it be better to extend him rather than Iupati?...We still have Boone signed for 2 more seasons so thats great!...Speaking of our LBs, Aldon still has not gotten his extension, stay tuned for that!

I like Boone more then Iupati. Boone played better IMO this year, hasn't gotten hurt numerous times, and also has some nice versality being able to play a tackle position.

Aldon, I jumped the gun and assumed he'll get signed long term with my comment on our LB's in 2015. They better lock him up, one of our best young players!

FourBeeDen

Semi Lurker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Maybe it's just me but I still think that the Niners should look into acquiring big/tall WR's either through FA or draft... This will help in the following ways...

...They are harder to jam at the LOS giving them a better chance for a cleaner release...
...They have a wider catch radius that will help the QB.The QB does not have to have pin point accuracy on his passes all the time if the WR have a bigger catch radius...
... Bigger WR that acn use their body to position themselves gives the QB a better target..

49er4life1979

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like Boone more then Iupati. Boone played better IMO this year, hasn't gotten hurt numerous times, and also has some nice versality being able to play a tackle position.

Aldon, I jumped the gun and assumed he'll get signed long term with my comment on our LB's in 2015. They better lock him up, one of our best young players!

Right on!...I like Boone more as well, especially his versatility play Tackle in a pinch. He played very well matched up against Robert Quinn in that Rams game subbing for Staley...Aldon will get his longterm deal, no doubt.

bvanthielriceyoung

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
MODs, if you want, you can merge this thread with the 2014 offseason thread, I dont know why I created a new one. My mistake.

49ermann

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #3
Lets say that Rodgers Manningham Whitner Brown and Goodwin are gone. We are getting Cully Tank Latimore and Ian Williams back from injury. Another player or two will probably go down in camp leaving us with 3 open roster spots from this year. I believe we have 13 draft picks in the upcoming draft. There aren't 11 open roster spots. One solution for this is what the Baalke did last year. He drafted guys that had injuries in college that otherwise would have gone a lot higher in the draft. (Tank, Dial and Lattimore) Also, we should package some of the lower picks to get higher end talent. I'm not too knowledgeable on which receivers to go after but I believe SS WR and CB to be the top 3 priorities.

What we cannot have happen is the draft of 2012. Baalke hit a home run with the Reid pick. We lost Goldson and filled the hole with a better younger cheaper player. That is the key to sustained success. Can't bow to no one player unless it's your QB or an elite pass rusher. Those two positions have the ability to make the biggest difference in a game.

The backup QB can be a more raw version of what Kaepernick is. Mobile with a big arm, Harbaugh will have to teach him the rest. I believe we have one of the top QB developers and that we should draft a raw QB every two years and let him sit behind Kap. If he pushes Kap for the starting job then that's great and we'll save money. But if we can turn 4th round project QB into multiple first and second round picks then that's like hitting the lotto. There are about 10 teams every year that go into the off season looking for their "fanchise qb" and we should take advantage of that.

This is a deep team and we need to bring in good young talent that can learn from the vets that we have and create a "system". That's what the best teams the last 10 years have done. Take a look at the best team in any sport, the Indiana Pacers are built through the draft, the Seahawks are build through the draft. Most successful franchises in professional sports are built through the draft.

Rvnight18

True story
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
I would rather see if we could trade for Gordon than draft any WR this year. I would give up our first for him in a heart beat.

bvanthielriceyoung

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I would rather see if we could trade for Gordon than draft any WR this year. I would give up our first for him in a heart beat.

agreed but I think his value is too high now that a 1st wouldnt be enough. He's damn a top 2 or 3 or so receiver in the league.

h0ckeysk83r

Haters gonna hate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gore played last year like a guy who shouldn't need to take a pay cut due to his performance last year.

However he is getting older and you can tell he looks tired. If gore was an all about me player he wouldn't like this idea. Thankfully gore is all about the team and I can see him doing it. He loves this team and wants that ring.

The only gripe I can see him having is if he is not okay with not being the primary guy. He never wants to leave that field. It will be interesting.

49er4life1979

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you cut Gore as well than you would have over $20M in cap space.

One thing the Niners brass has done very well is manage the salary cap. I expect that to continue. Thats the best way to build a team for long term - manage the cap, draft well, and supplement in free agency.